Fake Coins and Rare Coins

Moderators: Tempo Gain, TheGingerMan

Forum rules
We hope that the Living in Taiwan forum will be of value to you and others. To ensure this, please note:

It is best to capitalize topics and to avoid vague titles. “Hi, I’m new” and “Help please” are examples of bad titles.

Before posting, please check the FAQ thread, and – more importantly – use the search function to ensure that your topic has not been discussed before and that there is not an existing thread you could update with your contribution.

While Living in Taiwan is a busy, wide-ranging forum, there are other specific forums for relationships, teaching, business, legal issues, animals, food, events, travel, restaurants, and so on. Check the Forumosa menu to find the most appropriate place for your post.

While it is preferable to post questions dealing with dissimilar topics in separate threads (“How Much for an Apartment in Tianmu?”, “Are There Many Foreigners in Tianmu?”), if you are a new arrival, it is possible to present numerous questions in one post, but realize that your thread will then, after two weeks, be merged into the New to Taiwan: Some Questions thread.

Fake Coins and Rare Coins

Postby Joannie » 01 Jul 2004, 14:44

Recently I got a strange coin as change from a guotie vendor... It was a 20 yuan coin... now I've asked my grandma and several other natives about this and everyone has been awed by my 20 yuan coin... and my grandma has been telling me about counterfeit money that has been circulating lately...

but... WHO IN THEIR RIGHT MIND WOULD COUNTERFEIT A 20 YUAN COIN!? The making of the coin would probably cost more than 20 yuan!!! Is it just me, or is this a lame conterfeit...????
"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams."
-Eleanor Roosevelt
Forumosan avatar
Joannie
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby Traveller » 01 Jul 2004, 14:48

Probably not a fake, there is a 20NT$ coin within the legal currency.
Traveller
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)

Postby Rascal » 01 Jul 2004, 14:54

Note that from today onwards the old bi-color 50NT coins are not valid currency anymore, so check your change carefully.
I also managed to "collect" a few Chinese Riminbi from Taxi drivers which look very similar to the 10NT coins.
Sign here
Forumosan avatar
Rascal
Goddess of Fornication & Prostitutes (tōngjiān hé jìnǚ de nǚshén)

Postby Joannie » 01 Jul 2004, 15:08

There is a NT$20 coin? I've never seen such a thing and this is my 8th time to Taiwan... and my grandmother has lived her for over 70 years and never seen one and my teacher as Shi-Da also has never seen one before... are they collectors items?

Yeah. I know about the old 50NT coins... the new 50NT are much cooler looking... shiny... :D
-Eleanor Roosevelt
Forumosan avatar
Joannie

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby wolf_reinhold » 01 Jul 2004, 15:23

NT$20 COIN
Composition : Ring: Cu, Ni, Al Alloy; Core: Cu, Ni Alloy
Diameter : 26.85 mm
Weight : 8.5 gms
Issued time : July 9th, 2001
Obverse Design : The portrait of Mr. Mona Rudao, an Indigenous Tribal Resistance hero, and the Wusahe Memorial Commemorating the Indigenous Tribal Resistance during the Japanese occupation.
Reverse Design : The traditional canoes used by the Yami tribe.
Forumosan avatar
wolf_reinhold
"Drinks for the House!"

2 Recognized(s)

Postby Joannie » 01 Jul 2004, 15:33

WOW! I just found the info on the Central Bank of China site -- WHOA!! It IS real!!! I can't believe it... because my grandmother has never even seen it before! I guess it's rare??

http://www.cbc.gov.tw/EngHome/eissue/Ne ... Dollar.asp
-Eleanor Roosevelt
Forumosan avatar
Joannie

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby Big Fluffy Matthew » 01 Jul 2004, 15:43

Now I saw that website I do remember them seeing before, there can't be that many of them.
Never seen a 1/2NT coin before though.
Er.... thingy.
Forumosan avatar
Big Fluffy Matthew
Bodhisattva (pútísàduǒ)
Bodhisattva (pútísàduǒ)

2 Recognized(s)

Postby Ben » 01 Jul 2004, 16:57

Big Fluffy Birthday Boy wrote:Now I saw that website I do remember them seeing before, there can't be that many of them.
Never seen a 1/2NT coin before though.

I haven't seen a 1/2NT coin in circulation since the late '80s or early '90s. I've got a couple that I saved though.
Forumosan avatar
Ben
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)

Postby wolf_reinhold » 01 Jul 2004, 17:17

Oh you people...you can get a bag of 1/2 NT coins if you want. Just go to the main post office. Even branches have some of them. It is the only place where they are given out, obviously, because of the need to compensate for irregular stamp amounts.
NT$20 coin rare? Not rare enough to be worth much. Hell, you can get a NT$10 paper bill for NT$20. (Remember them? They look like today's red NT$100.)
Forumosan avatar
wolf_reinhold
"Drinks for the House!"

2 Recognized(s)

Postby 914 » 01 Jul 2004, 19:16

When I first got the $200 NT bill as change I told the vendor, "Stop playing!" (Bie kai wan shiao la!)

Now whenever I get a $200 NT, I spend it as soon as I can. Something about a green $200NT dollar bill just looks fake to me!
Messages are sent from my iPad so if you find any errors, you may keep them. Myspacebarhasissues.
Forumosan avatar
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)

Location: YVR to SFO to TPE; Now in semi-retirement in Sky Mother
35 Recommends(s)
38 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to Living in Taiwan