Sanctuary being torn down. We need your help!!! - click here for details
You can also visit TheSanctuaryTaiwan.org - click here to go to their contact page

Finding Somewhere to Live

Moderators: Tempo Gain, TheGingerMan

Forum rules
We hope that the Living in Taiwan forum will be of value to you and others. To ensure this, please note:

It is best to capitalize topics and to avoid vague titles. “Hi, I’m new” and “Help please” are examples of bad titles.

Before posting, please check the FAQ thread, and – more importantly – use the search function to ensure that your topic has not been discussed before and that there is not an existing thread you could update with your contribution.

While Living in Taiwan is a busy, wide-ranging forum, there are other specific forums for relationships, teaching, business, legal issues, animals, food, events, travel, restaurants, and so on. Check the Forumosa menu to find the most appropriate place for your post.

While it is preferable to post questions dealing with dissimilar topics in separate threads (“How Much for an Apartment in Tianmu?”, “Are There Many Foreigners in Tianmu?”), if you are a new arrival, it is possible to present numerous questions in one post, but realize that your thread will then, after two weeks, be merged into the New to Taiwan: Some Questions thread.

Re: Finding Somewhere to Live

Postby Petrichor » 26 Oct 2011, 06:07

Maybe consider renting an unfurnished place? We did and it's surprising how little furniture you actually need. Also, there are lots of ads on Tealit for people who're going home and are clearing their apartments.

Our apartment here in Wanlong is $NT20,000 (plus management fee). It's 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom and was unfurnished. It was filthy (and I'm not houseproud!) but a day or two's cleaning sorted that out. Plus we only have one air conditioner which is going to be a problem come the summer. The only other drawback is that it's next to a recycling depot which I found to be really noisy when we first moved in but now we're just about used to it. On the plus side it's 10 minutes from the MRT, has a lovely park at the end of the street, has little traffic, an elevator, lots of space and the neighbours are really nice.

So you can find cheap, decent apartments but they probably won't be ideal. We found this one through a friend asking around in her area. It took us a few weeks to find a place, though.
Use what talents you possess: The woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best.

http://talesfromthebeautifulisle.blogspot.com/
Forumosan avatar
Petrichor
Bird Walker (liù niǎo de rén)

85 Recommends(s)
89 Recognized(s)

Postby Icon » 26 Oct 2011, 10:26

Piffle wrote:headhonchoII - It would be slightly impractical to commute from Kaoshiung (Gaoxiong) (Gaoxiong) to Taipei every day. :lol: It was my husband's job offer in Taipei that brought us here, after all.

Icon - At the moment we are having to do all this through a friend. There was very little time between the job offer and the starting date to prepare for the move, let alone learn any Mandarin. Most of the landlords so far do not seem keen on replacing anything (I guess there is always someone who will happily accept it so they don't need to spend anything on replacements) and quite a few of the places we've seen would need everything replaced. But we will keep trying because we will get nowhere if we don't.

Thank you for the tip. We've been hearing about nice places in Xindian from quite a few people, so we are going to investigate again over the next few days.

Oh, usually homes comes easily when recommended by a friend of a friend. Also try Tsui Mama's housing service. The places are a bit more decent than those you find on the web/public boards. And you have backup in case of trouble.

Though you can't read Chinese, have a look at some pics in the ads I attach. Close to MRT, elevator, cleanish, and under 20K.

This is a nice neighborhood, with a nearby park, and many small cozy restaurants:
http://rent.591.com.tw/rent-detail-1083349.html

This neighborhood has its own shuttle bus:
http://rent.591.com.tw/rent-detail-1079342.html

A bit of a splurge, a real house, but great air quality:
http://rent.591.com.tw/rent-detail-1110601.html

Furnished but smaller:
http://rent.591.com.tw/rent-detail-1132285.html

Lots of foreigners live here:
http://rent.591.com.tw/rent-detail-1131396.html

This area is really convenient:
http://rent.591.com.tw/rent-detail-1103017.html

In Xindian, I'd say most areas are OK. I do not like the building on top of the Zhichang MRT station, it has too many problems, but many foreigners live there, too. Bitan and up the hills are fine.

EDIT:
This means house has:
2房 two rooms
2廳 two halls -living room and dining room
1衛 one bathroom
2陽 two balconies
Size given in pings 台坪數:38坪
"Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante". Mafalda

"Nice guy? Who gives a shit? If you want to work here, close."
Forumosan avatar
Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

681 Recommends(s)
541 Recognized(s)

Postby Petrichor » 26 Oct 2011, 15:05

591.com can be put into googletranslate. That's how I used it.
Use what talents you possess: The woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best.

http://talesfromthebeautifulisle.blogspot.com/
Forumosan avatar
Petrichor
Bird Walker (liù niǎo de rén)

85 Recommends(s)
89 Recognized(s)

Postby Piffle » 30 Oct 2011, 21:53

Thank you for all the help and suggestions! We may have already found a place (furnished). Everything we found was from 591 because, although I cannot speak Chinese, I at least know some characters from having studied Japanese in the past. The place is not ideal due to the neighbourhood, but the apartment itself and the furniture appeared to be in a good condition. The best we have seen for an old apartment building. We've placed a deposit.

We had considered going unfurnished, but if we are unhappy here and I cannot succeed as well, it would be rather stupid to invest in so much furniture for one or two years and then leave. We have had a look, worked out what we would need and calculated it would absorb a huge chunk of our savings. We could sell it, but we've tried that before multiple times (we have to move a lot) and it never really worked. Taking it with us also cost a fortune. Either way, it would equal a huge loss for us if we were to leave that soon so unfurnished was really going to be our last resort.
Piffle
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

4 Recognized(s)

Postby Wynsen » 02 Nov 2011, 13:34

Thanks Icon, for introducing 591.com, I just spent 2 hours looking at all the places :eek:
Alot of the places I like near MRT stations are all available for 1 yr lease min...

I mean I guess that would be fine but I'm in a state of transition and I'd like a place I can bust out easily. Does anyone know of a website to find roommates other than tealit.com? Like a website to find foreign roommates? Thanks in advance.
Hey don't poke my fat. My av? No, that's not me. That's just some gangsta Mongorians.
Forumosan avatar
Wynsen
Càiniǎo
Càiniǎo

2 Recommends(s)
2 Recognized(s)

Postby Icon » 02 Nov 2011, 14:31

It is Tsui Mama www.tmm.org.tw -with locals- or the good old board -at the universities or college areas.

Forumosan avatar
Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

681 Recommends(s)
541 Recognized(s)

Postby Icon » 04 Nov 2011, 14:45

Today I saw a first: a house with tiles on all the walls. Internal walls. Not only the kitchen and bathroom. And not even a top floor or basement, but a third floor. :thumbsup: :thumbsdown:

Forumosan avatar
Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

681 Recommends(s)
541 Recognized(s)

Postby mike029 » 07 Nov 2011, 23:29

Icon wrote:Today I saw a first: a house with tiles on all the walls. Internal walls. Not only the kitchen and bathroom. And not even a top floor or basement, but a third floor. :thumbsup: :thumbsdown:

I've seen that before when looking around. When I asked what all the tile was about, I was told that it is because it's easier to clean. :roll: I don't know how many times I've even actually had to clean a wall in my living room before that it would be much more convenient to have tile...
mike029
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)

3 Recommends(s)
40 Recognized(s)

Postby Mucha Man » 07 Nov 2011, 23:46

I've seen shockingly filthy walls in apartments I went to look at for renting over the years. I mean food stains all over the walls, crayons, grease marks, hand prints, etc. In my apartment in Taoyuan (which I own) we had a Taiwanese women live there for less than 6 months and afterwards we had to repaint the walls. Cleaning wasn't enough.

People here do things to their walls that just can't be explained.
“Everywhere else in the world is also really old” said Prof. Liu, a renowned historian at Beijing University. “We always learn that China has 5000 years of cultural heritage, and that therefore we are very special. It appears that other places also have some of this heritage stuff. And are also old. Like, really old.”

http://hikingintaiwan.blogspot.com/
Forumosan avatar
Mucha Man
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

782 Recognized(s)

Apartment Hunting (Xizhi namely)

Postby deviljin » 27 Jan 2012, 15:29

Howdy formosa'ers

Looking for an apartment (preferably studio or single room) in Xizhi City. Any online resources or ideas as to where / whom I can contact?

Specifically I'm looking for areas near the Acer HQ in Xizhi, New Taipei City.

Any help would be appreciated thanks :)
deviljin
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Living in Taiwan