Emergency Numbers

Moderators: Tempo Gain, TheGingerMan

Forum rules
We hope that the Living in Taiwan forum will be of value to you and others. To ensure this, please note:

It is best to capitalize topics and to avoid vague titles. “Hi, I’m new” and “Help please” are examples of bad titles.

Before posting, please check the FAQ thread, and – more importantly – use the search function to ensure that your topic has not been discussed before and that there is not an existing thread you could update with your contribution.

While Living in Taiwan is a busy, wide-ranging forum, there are other specific forums for relationships, teaching, business, legal issues, animals, food, events, travel, restaurants, and so on. Check the Forumosa menu to find the most appropriate place for your post.

While it is preferable to post questions dealing with dissimilar topics in separate threads (“How Much for an Apartment in Tianmu?”, “Are There Many Foreigners in Tianmu?”), if you are a new arrival, it is possible to present numerous questions in one post, but realize that your thread will then, after two weeks, be merged into the New to Taiwan: Some Questions thread.

Emergency Numbers

Postby rooftop » 04 Feb 2005, 16:11

Here are some emergency numbers that might come in handy:

110: Police

119: Fire and Ambulance

106: English Information

105: Chinese Information

Foreign Affairs Police (Taipei): (02) 2555-4275

There's a more complete list, including hospitals in Forumosa's Wiki here:

http://forumosa.com/kwiki/index.cgi?EmergencyNumbers

For veterinarians, try this thread here:

http://forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.ph ... sc&start=0

And for 24 emergency vets, see here:

http://forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.ph ... 327#298327

Please add other numbers you may think are useful to this list.
Tulsa nightlife: filth, gin. A slut.
Forumosan avatar
rooftop
Fried Chicken-Parts Vendor (yán sū jī xiǎofàn)
Fried Chicken-Parts Vendor (yán sū jī xiǎofàn)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby Richardm » 04 Feb 2005, 16:44

On page two of the Taipei Times there are a few more numbers.
Here's one I thought might come in handy:
Police (English) 02-2556-6007
Luckily I haven't needed to use it.
Richardm
"Drinks for the House!"

Postby hypermegaglobal » 07 Feb 2005, 13:42

Probably stating the obvious, but: the emergency numbers alone are useless if you can't explain where you are. As I learned yesterday, simply giving your address might not be enough, so it's better to learn how to give directions to the emergency services.
Forumosan avatar
hypermegaglobal
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)

2 Recommends(s)
1 Recognized(s)

Postby Joesox » 07 Feb 2005, 13:51

hypermegaglobal wrote:Probably stating the obvious, but: the emergency numbers alone are useless if you can't explain where you are. As I learned yesterday, simply giving your address might not be enough, so it's better to learn how to give directions to the emergency services.
Not stating the obvious at all. I'd have thought they were all GPS-ed up and an address would suffice. Thanks for the "heads-up"!

Hope everything worked out OK yesterday, by the way.
Joesox
Entering Second Childhood (èrdù tóngnián qī)
Entering Second Childhood (èrdù tóngnián qī)

7 Recommends(s)
16 Recognized(s)

Postby hypermegaglobal » 07 Feb 2005, 16:07

joesax wrote:Not stating the obvious at all. I'd have thought they were all
GPS-ed up and an address would suffice. Thanks for the "heads-up"!

Not sure if the ambulance had a GPS or not, the place was a bit outside of Taichung and "rather new" (3-5 years), so it might not be on any navigation system's maps. Actually they almost found it by themselves, it was just the last turn which they didn't make. Anyhow, they were surprisingly fast, though the way back to the hospital was a bit strange (IMHO).

joesax wrote:Hope everything worked out OK yesterday, by the way.

Thanks, everything went quite smooth and the patient will recover completely in a few weeks. Nothing happened to me, I was just the one to get help.
Forumosan avatar
hypermegaglobal

2 Recommends(s)
1 Recognized(s)

Postby Hartzell » 16 Feb 2005, 17:35

hypermegaglobal wrote:Probably stating the obvious, but: the emergency numbers alone are useless if you can't explain where you are. As I learned yesterday, simply giving your address might not be enough, so it's better to learn how to give directions to the emergency services.

How are the emergency services' people in responding to directions such as "the northeast corner of [an intersection]" or "the southwest corner of [some crossroads]" ...... etc. Does anyone have experience in giving directions this way ???

Since the Chinese invented the compass, I would assume that using the points of the compass to identify one's current position would be the preferred method . . . . . . . .
Richard W. Hartzell
contact me by email at rwh.midway@gmail.com
Neihu District, Taipei (114)
Forumosan avatar
Hartzell
Mando-pop Singer (Guóyǔ liúxíng gēshǒu)
Mando-pop Singer (Guóyǔ liúxíng gēshǒu)

19 Recognized(s)

Postby Fox » 02 May 2005, 12:07

If you are in the mountains and cannot raise a network, but have an emergency you can dial 112.
"When liberty comes with hands dabbled in blood it is hard to shake hands with her." Wilde

"I don't know where the sun beams end and the star light begins. It's all a mystery." Flaming Lips

"a man's position here is not ruled so much by what he can earn as by what he can owe and still remain at large." Letters of a Shanghai Griffin

"It's called the American dream because you have to be asleep to believe it." George Carlin

The American oligarchy spares no pains in promoting the belief that it does not exist, but the success of its disappearing act depends on equally strenuous efforts on the part of an American public anxious to believe in egalitarian fictions and unwilling to see what is hidden in plain sight.
redbubble
http://www.planetediting.com
Forumosan avatar
Fox
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)

63 Recommends(s)
80 Recognized(s)

Postby Mianbao » 24 May 2005, 11:46

For emergency counselling and/or psychologist referral: (02) 2346-6662

For crisis, suicide prevention, etc.: Lifeline Int'l (02) 2547-3587, 2718-9595
Forumosan avatar
Mianbao
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

Postby lingq » 23 Nov 2005, 10:26

Fox wrote:If you are in the mountains and cannot raise a network, but have an emergency you can dial 112.

I got an email this morning it said it has changed to 119 as well.
lingq
Grasshopper (cǎo měng)

Not so Emergency, but helpful all the time

Postby CrazyIvan » 19 Oct 2006, 14:12

I found that all emergency numbers did not include a foreign service hotline they lauched few(2, I think) year ago.

That is a toll free hotline: 0800-024-111, which literally solve most of your problems. I got a drivers' license problem and did not know where to go. This hotline solve it. Plus, I heard lots of friends using this hotline as a communication tool to taxi driver.

Most important of all, it is FREE, and 24-hour services. You can call from home, or even mobile.

Hope more and more people find it helpful.:)
CrazyIvan
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to Living in Taiwan