Taipei Bus Lines - Useful Link

Moderators: Tempo Gain, TheGingerMan

Forum rules
We hope that the Living in Taiwan forum will be of value to you and others. To ensure this, please note:

It is best to capitalize topics and to avoid vague titles. “Hi, I’m new” and “Help please” are examples of bad titles.

Before posting, please check the FAQ thread, and – more importantly – use the search function to ensure that your topic has not been discussed before and that there is not an existing thread you could update with your contribution.

While Living in Taiwan is a busy, wide-ranging forum, there are other specific forums for relationships, teaching, business, legal issues, animals, food, events, travel, restaurants, and so on. Check the Forumosa menu to find the most appropriate place for your post.

While it is preferable to post questions dealing with dissimilar topics in separate threads (“How Much for an Apartment in Tianmu?”, “Are There Many Foreigners in Tianmu?”), if you are a new arrival, it is possible to present numerous questions in one post, but realize that your thread will then, after two weeks, be merged into the New to Taiwan: Some Questions thread.

Re: Taipei Bus Lines - Useful Link

Postby Icon » 31 Aug 2009, 11:09

xitdude wrote:Hello, my question is sort of related to this post so I thought to post here.

I know there is something about YOYO CARDS, but I am seeking an answer related to few of these related to paying in cash. I'm a foreigner, can't speak Chinese (yet), can't understand Chinese (yet), and I'm always nervous if I am doing things wrong or if the driver will say anything to me... I know getting a YOYO CARD will save all the trouble, but I would prefer to pay in cash at this moment.

1a. Do I pay when I enter the bus and also when I exit the bus, or just when I exit the bus? I'm currently paying both, a total of $30NT, but I feel I might be wrong... I do understand that bus rates goes more high if traveling in a farther direction, but I understnad this isn't really an issue or something bus drivers takes serious on. I only travel 10 minute.

2. Compared with YOYO CARD users, I know they use the card when they enter the bus, and also use the card when they exit. If I pay in cash, how would the driver know I already paid when I entered already. I feel like I am doing the wrong thing again when I don't pay even when I didn't have to.

3. I know there are 2 sides to the bus (where customers can enter the bus), I always feel maybe it is my luck that hte second door opens (not the one closest to the bus driver) so I don't have to think about paying when I enter the bus. Is this really luck or is there a system I need to follow? (For instance, people who needs to pay in cash needs to enter from that second door or something...?) By "second door," I am describing the door that usually have 2 wing-like opening on the middle side of the bus.

THANKS!!!!

Xin,

1. You pay 15 nts for each "zone".

2. There is a sign on each door telling you to pay when you get on or when you get off, depending on the point where you got on was on zone 1 or zone 2 (most buses go through 2 zones). Chinese character for up means pay when you get up, down pay when you get down (off). So far, so good. Simple.

But...

3. Now, you paying (or having to pay twice) is not related to the distance or time on the bus, but rather the number of zones you cross.

For instance, I live in Xindian. If I go to Da'an Park, the bus 642 will cross zone 1 at Gongkuan. Zone 2 would then start from Gongkuan to Minquan. I would still have to pay two zones, even if I get on at McDonalds Tai-Da -the previous stop to Gongkuan MRT, where the zone starts- just because I got on there, before the bus crosses the zone. Usually, the bus driver will give you a "transfer", which means you have already paid for the zone, if there is possibility of confusion -people who get on 642 bus in Gongkuan MRT receive one, as they have paid for the following zone, but the "light" on the bus has not changed.

Buses here in Taiwan have the door in the middle, not directly in the back. Yes, there is a system. Follow the people. You get in from the back if you pay when you get off, and you get in from the front door when you pay when you get in. In general, if you crash against people, you are going in the wrong direction.

In summary, look carefully before you get on. You'll know in a few days, as you will probably take the same buses all over again all the time to go to school.

Finally, let us know which bus is it, what number, which stop you get in. Maybe someone can advise an easier -and cheaper- way.
"Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante". Mafalda

"Nice guy? Who gives a shit? If you want to work here, close."
Forumosan avatar
Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

732 Recommends(s)
573 Recognized(s)

Postby xitdude » 31 Aug 2009, 19:21

Thanks for the answers. It made good sense and I can finally get some nervousness off my chest. From the above reply, I can kind of tie in my stuff into the below paragraphs.

I live in YongHo City (Yonghe City) in Taipei County. I am taking the bus 262 from there to Da'an near National Taiwan University in Taipei City. I also take 262 to go to the Taipei Main Station at times.

It takes maybe 10-15 minutes to my destination, but from the post reply, I guess I cross 2 zones in this case, so it makes sense to pay $30NT. Although my destination is close, it probably also means the 2 different zones cross (perhaps from Taipei County towards Taipei City and vis versa). Perhaps a miss in claculation of where I live now is why.
xitdude
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

Postby tinster » 06 Nov 2009, 09:57

Zones...
wow, I never knew there were bus-zones :doh:

Is there somewhere I can see a complete map of the zones?

I pay 30 nt from Xinzhuang to Taipei, yongji road. And only 15 nt if I stop at Ximen or taipei main station. Seems fair.

I'd like to add, that if you are confused about where to get off and on, when to pay or not, then just be on the safe side. Go in at the front, pay and go out again at the front. THe driver will "complain" if you do something wrong or forgot something. But usually they don't do anything (sometimes they even say thank you!).

You learn a lot from just looking at what the other bee's do ;)
the devil he's in me and god she's too - 311
http://tineintaiwan.blogspot.com/
Forumosan avatar
tinster
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

Postby Tempo Gain » 06 Nov 2009, 11:13

tinster wrote:
Is there somewhere I can see a complete map of the zones?

)

The maps at http://www.e-bus.taipei.gov.tw/english/ ... x_6_1.html don't seem to have that information, strangely. The maps on the signs at bus stops have it, the old chinese ones anyway. Not sure about the newer english/chinese ones.

Often the zones change at a bridge somewhere near the halfway point of the line. If there's not such a bridge there's usually a zone of three or four stops near the halfway point where it changes over.
Forumosan avatar
Tempo Gain
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

325 Recommends(s)
320 Recognized(s)

Postby ironlady » 06 Nov 2009, 12:24

Learn two Chinese characters:

If you see this one as the first character of the sign over the driver's head that usually is a light-up red sign:

you pay when you get on the bus.

If this is the first character on that sign right in front of you, above the driver's head, when you get on:

you pay when you get off.

It is possible that if the ride is over 2 zones, you will see the first one lit when you get on, and then see the second one lit when you get off.
Terry Waltz, Ph.D
Click here to Finally Learn Mandarin!
Squid for Brains Learning Games -- not your nainai's flash cards!
...although his father beat him every day, wishing him to learn the speech of Ts'e, it will be impossible for him [at least using current methods]...-Mencius
Forumosan avatar
ironlady
Goddess of Fornication & Prostitutes (tōngjiān hé jìnǚ de nǚshén)

Location: A place where people can't sleep or teach English in McDonald's
87 Recommends(s)
321 Recognized(s)
In Taiwan since: 0- 0-1987

Postby jlick » 06 Nov 2009, 13:00

This is also a good reason to have an Easy Card. Most of the machines are programmed so that you can't use the same card twice in the same section.

The maps at the bus stops usually don't have the sections marked, but the maps inside the bus usually have a diamond or triangle symbol where the section division is, and these also usually have bilingual listings of the stops. The confusing part is what to do in the transition area between sections. Usually the signs will change to 下 4 or 5 stops before you actually have to pay twice, so you don't have to pay twice if you get on just before a zone transition and get off just after.

The method I used before figuring all this out also works well: watch what everyone else is doing and do the same. This does sometimes fail if you follow someone who also doesn't know what to do.
SUBWAY™ eat fresh! Free wireless Internet access at both Jimmy's Sandwich Company locations:
SUBWAY™ Qingcheng Restaurant: Urban One 1F #1 Qingcheng Street, Taipei. (Nanjing East Road MRT station)
SUBWAY™ Minquan Jilin Restaurant: #74, Section 2, Minquan East Road, Taipei.
Forumosan avatar
jlick
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)

9 Recommends(s)
11 Recognized(s)

Postby TheLostSwede » 07 Nov 2009, 00:02

I found that the machines don't charge you twice recently if you are on the zone border and the sign has changed, but you're not due to pay. But yeah, it's a really confusing system...
Forumosan avatar
TheLostSwede
Generalissimo (dàyuánshuài)
Generalissimo (dàyuánshuài)

15 Recommends(s)
13 Recognized(s)

Postby greves » 07 Dec 2009, 00:08

Check out this app from http://mobile.5284.com.tw/TaipeiBus.jar , you can use it on any phone that supports MIDP 2.0. Load it up, click the little Bus icon at the bottom, and pick your line (only in chinese, but the 一般路線 are the standard numbered bus lines, then just pick your bus line and you'll have real time information on the location of all buses on the line. Pretty nifty, been using it to get to work lately and I've watched the buses on it to see how accurate it is, it's only about 10 second delay so if it says you still have 1 or 2 minutes, you really do still have 1 or 2 minutes to catch a bus.
greves
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

16 Recognized(s)

Postby globetrotteri » 11 Dec 2009, 10:29

Mysteries of Taipei's bus lines unraveled. This is great. Thank you.
globetrotteri
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

Postby PUMP88 » 21 Dec 2009, 13:02

very useful! gonna buy myself a card this arvo! :)
PUMP88

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Living in Taiwan