Sanctuary being torn down. We need your help!!! - click here for details
You can also visit TheSanctuaryTaiwan.org - click here to go to their contact page

Preparing for a Typhoon - What You Need to Know

Moderators: Tempo Gain, TheGingerMan

Forum rules
We hope that the Living in Taiwan forum will be of value to you and others. To ensure this, please note:

It is best to capitalize topics and to avoid vague titles. “Hi, I’m new” and “Help please” are examples of bad titles.

Before posting, please check the FAQ thread, and – more importantly – use the search function to ensure that your topic has not been discussed before and that there is not an existing thread you could update with your contribution.

While Living in Taiwan is a busy, wide-ranging forum, there are other specific forums for relationships, teaching, business, legal issues, animals, food, events, travel, restaurants, and so on. Check the Forumosa menu to find the most appropriate place for your post.

While it is preferable to post questions dealing with dissimilar topics in separate threads (“How Much for an Apartment in Tianmu?”, “Are There Many Foreigners in Tianmu?”), if you are a new arrival, it is possible to present numerous questions in one post, but realize that your thread will then, after two weeks, be merged into the New to Taiwan: Some Questions thread.

Postby Huang Guang Chen » 13 Mar 2006, 07:35

I've gone as long as 14 days without water...In this case, bathtub water isn't going to last long enough.

That's got to have been due to the earthquake, surely not a 'phoon?

HG
I'm a wicked young lady, but I've been trying hard lately. Oh fark it! I'm a monster! I admit it!
Forumosan avatar
Huang Guang Chen
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

15 Recommends(s)
44 Recognized(s)

Re: Preparing for a Typhoon - What you need to know

Postby Elanna » 19 Mar 2006, 12:05

Dragonbones wrote:
golfmade wrote:I've never been anywhere near a typhoon/hurricane (they don't really hit here in Idaho) so I've really no idea what to expect.

All you need to know about typhoons:

Isn't that all a bit overrated for those little storms that "hit" the island a few times per year? I think typhoons are rather boring and I think people use it as excuse not to go to work here :wink: So you have to buy food for yourself, but only for the reason that there is nobody working due to imposed holiday from the government. Typhoon for me just means... extra vacation. The number of people that you see in the typhoon-afterhours that take short vacation trips back this :)
Elanna
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

Postby Elanna » 19 Mar 2006, 12:08

Huang Guang Chen wrote:
I've gone as long as 14 days without water...In this case, bathtub water isn't going to last long enough.

HG

You are more likely to die from that standing unclean water than from a typhoon (or the resulting unavailiability of water) :)

According to the Central Weather Bureau this year could be a year with water shortage. Sorry for you guys in Taipei.
Elanna

Postby MJB » 19 Mar 2006, 20:20

Huang Guang Chen wrote:

HG

We went over a month right after 9/21 :(

Check this thread if you want to confirm our 14 (actually 19 day) stretch with no water.
http://forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.ph ... &start=110
Nemo enim fere saltat sobrius, nisi forte insanit
MJB
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)

6 Recognized(s)

Re: Preparing for a Typhoon - What you need to know

Postby Dragonbones » 19 Mar 2006, 23:16

Elanna wrote:Isn't that all a bit overrated for those little storms that "hit" the island a few times per year? I think typhoons are rather boring

Sure, you go ahead and poo poo it while the floodwaters rise. Me, I'm building an ark... :lol:
Now selling homestyle baked goods (cookies, brownies, baklava, pies, sourdough bread, whole-wheat sourdough bagels and cakes) made with many organic, fair-trade and/or local pesticide-free ingredients. Visit https://www.facebook.com/segoviaskitchen‎ or http://www.taiwanease.com/en/forums/pos ... tml#p92536 for info.
Forumosan avatar
Dragonbones
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

ORIGINAL POSTER
39 Recommends(s)
104 Recognized(s)

Postby antonioprincess » 14 Apr 2006, 02:40

According to my experience of living in Taiwan for 23 years...(by the way, I am a taiwanese)
You gotta prepare instant noodles cans and water before the typhoon comes. (But if you live in cities, then don't worry, the 7-11 is always opended!)
But if you would like to cook after the typhoon leaves, you need to buy vegatables one day before the typhonne comes, because after it the price would become so high that all the vegetables seem to be untouchable!!
And DO NOT go to Nantou, and DO NOT go fishing, hiking, mountain climbing, etc.
Anwayway it longs only 1-2 days, sometimes 2-3 days. (maybe no AC, no running water, but I think it's may be a very good time for ghost stories!Ha!)
antonioprincess

Postby Dragonbones » 14 Apr 2006, 10:54

antonioprincess wrote:According to my experience of living in Taiwan for 23 years...(by the way, I am a Taiwanese)
You gotta prepare instant noodles cans and water before the typhoon comes. (But if you live in cities, then don't worry, the 7-11 is always opended!)
But if you would like to cook after the typhoon leaves, you need to buy vegatables one day before the typhonne comes, because after it the price would become so high that all the vegetables seem to be untouchable!!
And DO NOT go to Nantou, and DO NOT go fishing, hiking, mountain climbing, etc.
Anwayway it longs only 1-2 days, sometimes 2-3 days. (maybe no AC, no running water, but I think it's may be a very good time for ghost stories!Ha!)

Thanks antonioprincess, and welcome to Forumosa!
Note that the 7-11's near me were not open after Typhoon Nari, because they were a meter under water. Good point about the fishing, hiking etc.; maybe we should add boating, Loretta? :lol:
Forumosan avatar
Dragonbones
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

ORIGINAL POSTER
39 Recommends(s)
104 Recognized(s)

Postby Incubus » 14 Apr 2006, 14:28

Excellent list. Just to add a couple more points.

The hot water may be out during a typhoon, especially if your water heater is outdoors. The strong winds can easily blow out the pilot light. So take your shower before or when there's a lull in the storm.

Even when the power is still on, during the worst part of a typhoon, I usually turn off my AC, as the winds are way more powerful than the fan in my AC that's trying to turn against the wind. Don't want to come out of the storm with a broken AC.
Incubus
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)

12 Recommends(s)
34 Recognized(s)

Postby shaohsiin » 22 Apr 2006, 03:21

if i remember correctly,
even with electrical power reconnected, there may be still no tap water supply for days (maybe weeks?). That
shaohsiin

Postby TheLostSwede » 18 Jun 2006, 00:15

I'm scared now...
Is it really bad every year or just some years?
I've only been to Taiwan when its warm and sunny and as I come from a country where it's -20 or 30 centigrades in the winter and +20 or 30 centigrades in the summer, Typhoons is something new to me, as is earth quakes.
I'm not certain I will be moving to Taiwan as yet, but it's looking that way, so fingers crossed I won't experience anything too bad in my first year ;-)
Forumosan avatar
TheLostSwede
Generalissimo (dàyuánshuài)
Generalissimo (dàyuánshuài)

15 Recommends(s)
13 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Living in Taiwan