Scooter Scratch-Attack

Moderators: Tempo Gain, TheGingerMan

Forum rules
We hope that the Living in Taiwan forum will be of value to you and others. To ensure this, please note:

It is best to capitalize topics and to avoid vague titles. “Hi, I’m new” and “Help please” are examples of bad titles.

Before posting, please check the FAQ thread, and – more importantly – use the search function to ensure that your topic has not been discussed before and that there is not an existing thread you could update with your contribution.

While Living in Taiwan is a busy, wide-ranging forum, there are other specific forums for relationships, teaching, business, legal issues, animals, food, events, travel, restaurants, and so on. Check the Forumosa menu to find the most appropriate place for your post.

While it is preferable to post questions dealing with dissimilar topics in separate threads (“How Much for an Apartment in Tianmu?”, “Are There Many Foreigners in Tianmu?”), if you are a new arrival, it is possible to present numerous questions in one post, but realize that your thread will then, after two weeks, be merged into the New to Taiwan: Some Questions thread.

Postby Scuba » 13 Nov 2002, 14:33

I havent noticed a huge difference in capabilities between male & female
scooter riders. I'll look out for it in future . Maybe its a left brain, right brain ,visio spacial thing. Having said that women seem to make very good airline pilots. Some of my smoothest landings have been with a woman pilot in control .(I avoided saying "holding the joystick" for fear of my comment being misinterpretted.)
Forumosan avatar
Scuba
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby Vorkosigan » 13 Nov 2002, 16:02

Scuba wrote:Thanks for the suggestions. Clearly the consensus is : let it go
& avoid any confrontation.

Vorkosigan's post made me feel that I have been living in somewhat
of a vacuum since moving to Taiwan 18 months ago. When people
(from outside) ask me what I like here, one of the comments I always make is that I have never once felt physically threatened. Taipei always seems safer to me than most of the major cities I have visited around the world.
Vorkosigans experience certainly challenges that view.

Most people never live here long enough to be physically threatened, so it never occurs to them it can happen. It just depends what kind of ill luck you have. The gangs are discrete in Taipei; in Taliao outside Kaohsiung where I was threatened three years ago, the twon is overrun with gangs. Just last month a group of mobsters on a spree molested somebody in Taliao, on route 25 (Fenglin Rd). A second unfortunate saw the incident, so they followed him from Taliao to Fengshan, shooting at him with a pistol all way along 25 (but missing). Finally he got away. The police claimed they couldn't find the offenders on the road -- but 25 is more than just the main drag between Taliao and Fengshan, it's really the ONLY WAY to get there. I think a lot of foreigners are simply unaware of the high level of violence in this society. Many have never seen the motorcycle packs that from time to time ride around Kaohsiung at night in groups of up to 200, attacking passers-by.

Another thing is the police don't tell you. Again, when we lived in Taliao, a nutcase was slashing women in front of the 7-11 by our house, was arrested, imprisoned, served his sentence, let out, and promptly went back to his old tricks. He got 7 or 8 women before they caught him again. Point is, the police never told anyone in the neighborhood about it. There's no idea of "community." I know of many stories like this. But why bum you all out?

Vorkosigan
Vorkosigan
I'm posting like Shakespeare (1564~1616)
I'm posting like Shakespeare (1564~1616)

4 Recognized(s)

Postby Rascal » 13 Nov 2002, 17:21

Road Rage - my favorite topic. Well, perhaps not but I would believe that it's risky to provoke or put up a fight.

I like to bang my flat hand on cars when they nearly run me over while crossing the road - I guess it's just a question of time until someone stops and comes after me with a baseball bat.

Hm, come to think of it I should get rid of that habbit ...
Sign here
Forumosan avatar
Rascal
Goddess of Fornication & Prostitutes (tōngjiān hé jìnǚ de nǚshén)

Scooter Problems

Postby TongueTwister » 13 Nov 2002, 17:32

I know how you feel, Rascal. I just can't stand some drivers.
Personally, I like to push on their mirror so that it folds up - if they cut
me off or something. But I have had a couple of scary encounters
doing this so sometimes I think I should stop it for my own safety.
But sometimes trying to be patient or hold why tongue when people do things which I consider utterly senseless, ruce, or downright dangerous is hard.
TongueTwister

Postby kingjk » 13 Nov 2002, 17:56

Vorkosigan makes a good point about the under reporting or non reporting of crime, at least in the English press. I've been in Kaohsiung for 7 years, and while I do think it is a fairly safe city, I know there's crime that I never hear about, if only because there's no way a city this size has a crime rate as low as you might assume it to be given the lack of media covereage it gets (I hope that last sentence made sense). His example of the 7-11 guy would never happen in the West. The craziness could surely happen, but there's no way the media and police wouldn't be all over it.
kingjk

Postby sandman » 13 Nov 2002, 18:36

His example of the 7-11 guy would never happen in the West.

Are you kidding? It happens all the time. Considering that "random slashers," at least in the UK, would more likely be sectioned and locked up in secure mental hospital units without a limit of sentence and later released back onto the streets to fend for themsleves.

This is now standard practice in most of Britain and is a massive headache for social services.

Of course, regular jail offenders are also released and reoffend almost immediately. Look at some of the recent child molesting scandals in the Brit press, involving known pedophiles released back into the community, despite extensive medical reports that they would almost certainly reoffend.

The only stories that make it into the papers are the really big ones -- the vast majority of random "madman beatings/stabbings, etc., rarely make it, even into the sidebar stories.
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)

28 Recommends(s)
196 Recognized(s)

Scooter Problems

Postby TongueTwister » 13 Nov 2002, 18:40

If you want to think that things are ok here, just stick to the English
papers as they don't report all the robberies, killings, etc. in Taiwan.

If you want to know more (and get a more realistic picture), read or
have someone explain some of the stories in various Chinese papers.
TongueTwister

Postby Mark0938 » 13 Nov 2002, 18:50

Fair enough tongue twister but though we are often blinkered to a lot of what happens we do live here and I have to say that I find this to be a lot safer than any other place I've lived in.
Mark0938

Postby Mucha Man » 13 Nov 2002, 19:23

Regarding women drivers, this comes from a collection of Irish folk tales written around 1920. Seems stereotypes live long.

They saw a solitary woman in a chariot driving from the west.
"I wonder what that means?" the kind exclaimed.
"Why should you wonder at a woman in a chariot?" his companion inquired, for Crimthann loved and would have knowledge.
"Good my treasure," Dermod answered, "Our minds are astonished when we see a woman able to drive a cow to pasture, for it has always seemed to us that they do not drive well."
"Crimthann absorbed instruction like a sponge and digested it as rapidly.
"I think it is justly said," he agreed.
“Everywhere else in the world is also really old” said Prof. Liu, a renowned historian at Beijing University. “We always learn that China has 5000 years of cultural heritage, and that therefore we are very special. It appears that other places also have some of this heritage stuff. And are also old. Like, really old.”

http://hikingintaiwan.blogspot.com/
Forumosan avatar
Mucha Man
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

635 Recognized(s)

Postby sandman » 13 Nov 2002, 19:31

Now THAT's funny! :lol: :lol: :lol:
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)

28 Recommends(s)
196 Recognized(s)

PreviousNext