scott sommers article on "class currency" in taiwan

Moderators: Tempo Gain, TheGingerMan

Forum rules
We hope that the Living in Taiwan forum will be of value to you and others. To ensure this, please note:

It is best to capitalize topics and to avoid vague titles. “Hi, I’m new” and “Help please” are examples of bad titles.

Before posting, please check the FAQ thread, and – more importantly – use the search function to ensure that your topic has not been discussed before and that there is not an existing thread you could update with your contribution.

While Living in Taiwan is a busy, wide-ranging forum, there are other specific forums for relationships, teaching, business, legal issues, animals, food, events, travel, restaurants, and so on. Check the Forumosa menu to find the most appropriate place for your post.

While it is preferable to post questions dealing with dissimilar topics in separate threads (“How Much for an Apartment in Tianmu?”, “Are There Many Foreigners in Tianmu?”), if you are a new arrival, it is possible to present numerous questions in one post, but realize that your thread will then, after two weeks, be merged into the New to Taiwan: Some Questions thread.

Postby maoman » 11 Jun 2007, 02:11

Namahottie wrote:Class is tantamount to access to resources.

I disagree. In Taiwan, access to resources that are not readily available to all is good guanxi. Having good guanxi does not make you a member of the upper class - it just means that you know a lot of people, or if not a lot, a few of the right ones.
Forumosan avatar
maoman

76 Recommends(s)
44 Recognized(s)

Postby ironlady » 11 Jun 2007, 04:50

ScottSommers wrote:This is no doubt true. Every life is an individual life based on individual choices. However, I analyzed statistics provided by the ROC Ministry of Interior to reach this conclusion. Once again, I suggest that you have a look at the original link for more details.

Scott, you and I and everyone who has ever read an academic journal knows (or should know) that it is not the numbers, but what the numbers MEAN, that counts. No one doubts the original numbers -- what we disagree with is your interpretation of the numbers, for such it is. Some conclusions can be drawn from certain data, and other conclusions cannot be validly drawn.

To say there are significant differences between groups in the first place requires certain statistical operations based on sample size and the number of people in each group. And if the differences between groups do reach a reasonable threshold for statistical significance, you then have to try to explain why. In your "experiment" or analysis of the numbers, there is no control for other factors, and you cannot simply wave them off as inconvenient so as to stick to your hypothesis.

The basic definition of social class is, of course, another huge potential pitfall in the analysis. But that is another question. And I certainly don't want to subject you to monotony by reiterating anything.
Terry Waltz, Ph.D
Click here to Finally Learn Mandarin!
Squid for Brains Learning Games -- not your nainai's flash cards!
...although his father beat him every day, wishing him to learn the speech of Ts'e, it will be impossible for him [at least using current methods]...-Mencius
Forumosan avatar
ironlady
Goddess of Fornication & Prostitutes (tōngjiān hé jìnǚ de nǚshén)

Location: A place where people can't sleep or teach English in McDonald's
87 Recommends(s)
320 Recognized(s)
In Taiwan since: 0- 0-1987

Postby ironlady » 11 Jun 2007, 04:56

Namahottie wrote:[

Receiving welfare is not tantamount to being in a certain social class. And anyway, since until recently I (supposedly more or less middle class) did not have health insurance, I routinely saw welfare recipients in my primary caregiver's office, as I had to go to the emergency room for treatment when things got that serious. Class does not guarantee access to resources. It may predict it, but it does not guarantee it. I may have been of a higher social class than those in the waiting room with me, but we were both accessing the same reosurces - the only ones available to us.

I'll give you another example. I recently did an interpreting job here in the States for a man in his late 40s who was marrying a Chinese woman. In the course of this pre-nup, I saw his financial statements. He has what is considered to be a blue-collar job -- i.e., lower middle class, most likely, if you look only at the employment. His net worth, though, is about five times what mine is (and I save like a fiend :( ). He has access to far more resources than I do, but I would likely be perceived as higher in social class (hierarchy/status) because of my profession and my educational attainment (he has a high school diploma, I have several graduate degrees).
Terry Waltz, Ph.D
Click here to Finally Learn Mandarin!
Squid for Brains Learning Games -- not your nainai's flash cards!
...although his father beat him every day, wishing him to learn the speech of Ts'e, it will be impossible for him [at least using current methods]...-Mencius
Forumosan avatar
ironlady
Goddess of Fornication & Prostitutes (tōngjiān hé jìnǚ de nǚshén)

Location: A place where people can't sleep or teach English in McDonald's
87 Recommends(s)
320 Recognized(s)
In Taiwan since: 0- 0-1987

Postby Fox » 11 Jun 2007, 11:17

No wonder sociologists are unemployable. There are only two classes the super rich and the aspirationals. Ask the super rich and they'll tell you the same. Ask the aspirationals and they'll tell you they're middle class.
"When liberty comes with hands dabbled in blood it is hard to shake hands with her." Wilde

"I don't know where the sun beams end and the star light begins. It's all a mystery." Flaming Lips

"a man's position here is not ruled so much by what he can earn as by what he can owe and still remain at large." Letters of a Shanghai Griffin

"It's called the American dream because you have to be asleep to believe it." George Carlin

The American oligarchy spares no pains in promoting the belief that it does not exist, but the success of its disappearing act depends on equally strenuous efforts on the part of an American public anxious to believe in egalitarian fictions and unwilling to see what is hidden in plain sight.
redbubble
http://www.planetediting.com
Forumosan avatar
Fox
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)

63 Recommends(s)
80 Recognized(s)

Re: scott sommers article on "class currency" in taiwan

Postby ScottSommers » 25 Nov 2011, 15:58

I know it was a long time ago, but if you were interested in this post, you might want to see this paper

Lan, Pei-Chia. White Privilege, Language Capital, and Cultural Ghettolization: Western High-Skilled Migrants in Taiwan. Journal of Ethnic and Migration Studies, forthcoming.

which discusses the blog posts of mine that we were talking about.

You can download a copy of this paper from Google by searching for the title.

If you haven't been following my blog, you may not know that I don't post anymore. The links cited in this paper aren't active. You can still find the original posts here,

Foreign English Teachers as Economic Migrants
http://backupposts.wordpress.com/2009/0 ... -migrants/

I'm having a little trouble locating the second paper, which is ‘Foreign teachers as entry level workers in the cultural industry'
When I find it, I'll post the link.

I may write a response depending on when the paper appears.
Becoming Taiwan: From Colonialism to Democracy, by Ann Heylen and Scott Sommers is now available on Google Books http://www.amazon.com/Becoming-Taiwan-Colonialism-Democracy-Formosiana/dp/3447063742

"Who Still Believes in 9/11 Conspiracies? An Empirical Study on Political Affiliation and Conspiratorial Thinking," by Scott Sommers
The Skeptic Magazine, Volume 16 Number 2
available here

comments about 9/11 conspiracy on the Independent Sentinel
available here
Forumosan avatar
ScottSommers
Fried Chicken-Parts Vendor (yán sū jī xiǎofàn)

4 Recognized(s)

Postby amarbaines » 25 Nov 2011, 21:39

Scott - thanks for this. I am about to devour it. If I have something meaningful to say in response, I'll post here.

http://sociology.ntu.edu.tw/~pclan/docu ... vilege.pdf
amarbaines
Grasshopper (cǎo měng)

16 Recommends(s)
13 Recognized(s)

Postby ScottSommers » 25 Nov 2011, 22:00

I haven't really had a detailed look at Pei Chia's paper. I read an earlier draft, but she seems to have changed quite a bit since then. But that would be great if you have any comments about the topic. I'm probably going to write a response to her and it would be great to field some of the ideas here.
Becoming Taiwan: From Colonialism to Democracy, by Ann Heylen and Scott Sommers is now available on Google Books http://www.amazon.com/Becoming-Taiwan-Colonialism-Democracy-Formosiana/dp/3447063742

"Who Still Believes in 9/11 Conspiracies? An Empirical Study on Political Affiliation and Conspiratorial Thinking," by Scott Sommers
The Skeptic Magazine, Volume 16 Number 2
available here

comments about 9/11 conspiracy on the Independent Sentinel
available here
Forumosan avatar
ScottSommers

4 Recognized(s)

Postby sandman » 26 Nov 2011, 00:53

ScottSommers wrote:I haven't really had a detailed look at Pei Chia's paper. I read an earlier draft, but she seems to have changed quite a bit since then. But that would be great if you have any comments about the topic. I'm probably going to write a response to her and it would be great to field some of the ideas here.

And drink some honey water prior to your next radio foray, croaky voice!
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)

28 Recommends(s)
199 Recognized(s)

Postby jp_mtl » 26 Nov 2011, 11:14

Scott Sommers (2005a) has proposed a thesis about economic migration of English teachers on his blog, which attracted attention and generated controversy in the expatriate community in Taiwan. As an English teacher himself, he noticed that the vast majority working in the industry are ‘young, single, marginally employed holders of liberal arts degrees.’ He provocatively argues that they are economic migrants marginalized by a shrunken labor market in the West as a result of capital outflow and global outsourcing.

Provocatively argues? :roflmao:
jp_mtl
Mastered ordering "beer" in Chinese (jīngtōng le yòng Guóyǔ shuō "píjiǔ")

3 Recognized(s)

Postby jp_mtl » 26 Nov 2011, 11:19

So in sociology it is provocative to point out that young, single graduates come to Asia to teach English because they can't find a decent job in their home country?

Is it also "provocative" to point out that Taiwanese are not the best drivers in the world?
jp_mtl

3 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Living in Taiwan