Whack Things in Taiwan (part 3)

Moderators: Tempo Gain, TheGingerMan

Forum rules
We hope that the Living in Taiwan forum will be of value to you and others. To ensure this, please note:

It is best to capitalize topics and to avoid vague titles. “Hi, I’m new” and “Help please” are examples of bad titles.

Before posting, please check the FAQ thread, and – more importantly – use the search function to ensure that your topic has not been discussed before and that there is not an existing thread you could update with your contribution.

While Living in Taiwan is a busy, wide-ranging forum, there are other specific forums for relationships, teaching, business, legal issues, animals, food, events, travel, restaurants, and so on. Check the Forumosa menu to find the most appropriate place for your post.

While it is preferable to post questions dealing with dissimilar topics in separate threads (“How Much for an Apartment in Tianmu?”, “Are There Many Foreigners in Tianmu?”), if you are a new arrival, it is possible to present numerous questions in one post, but realize that your thread will then, after two weeks, be merged into the New to Taiwan: Some Questions thread.

Re: Whack Things in Taiwan (part 3)

Postby Petrichor » 17 Mar 2012, 17:51

Icon wrote:Patients wearing pijamas, trailing their IV lines, smoking outside the hospital doors or in the green grounds...In this weather! :eek: :loco:

They do that in England even if it's freezing outside. Smoking's a damn strong addiction.

In fact, in some parts of England parents take their kids to school and go shopping in their pyjamas (the parents, not the kids. Or maybe the kids too, I don't know :s .).
If your daily life seems poor, do not blame it; blame yourself, tell yourself that you are not poet enough to call forth its riches. Rilke

http://talesfromthebeautifulisle.blogspot.com/
Forumosan avatar
Petrichor
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)

67 Recommends(s)
75 Recognized(s)

Postby tsukinodeynatsu » 17 Mar 2012, 18:20

It was banned in one particular Tesco in Wales, wasn't it?
tsukinodeynatsu
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)

57 Recommends(s)
66 Recognized(s)

Postby Petrichor » 17 Mar 2012, 20:44

tsukinodeynatsu wrote:It was banned in one particular Tesco in Wales, wasn't it?

I thought it was Liverpool, but you could be right.

Should start a Whack Things in England thread.
If your daily life seems poor, do not blame it; blame yourself, tell yourself that you are not poet enough to call forth its riches. Rilke

Forumosan avatar
Petrichor

67 Recommends(s)
75 Recognized(s)

Postby Petrichor » 17 Mar 2012, 20:48

A woman felt my husband up on the MRT today.

Okay, that's a little bit of poetic licence there. But he was standing minding his own business and this woman came up close and looked him frankly in the face, then she looked him up and down. Meanwhile he was trying to pretend this wasn't happening. Then she placed her hand on his back in what he felt was a offer of physical congress. He was more alarmed than flattered or excited (he tells me) and got off at the next stop.

First really whack thing that's happened in our time here so far.

Forumosan avatar
Petrichor

67 Recommends(s)
75 Recognized(s)

Postby Icon » 17 Mar 2012, 22:31

Petrichor wrote:A woman felt my husband up on the MRT today.

Okay, that's a little bit of poetic licence there. But he was standing minding his own business and this woman came up close and looked him frankly in the face, then she looked him up and down. Meanwhile he was trying to pretend this wasn't happening. Then she placed her hand on his back in what he felt was a offer of physical congress. He was more alarmed than flattered or excited (he tells me) and got off at the next stop.

Eh, you guys shouldn't move to Latin America. Just a thought.
"Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante". Mafalda

"Nice guy? Who gives a shit? If you want to work here, close."
Forumosan avatar
Icon
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

531 Recommends(s)
412 Recognized(s)

Whack Things in Taiwan (part 3)

Postby headhonchoII » 18 Mar 2012, 00:19

A woman once wanted to have my baby within one minute of meeting me on the MRT. I think she was a bit
mad though, she progressed to peel and eat an orange in front of the horrified MRT riders. The horror of it! ( the eating of the orange, not the let's make a baby part and no I did not tale up the offer).
I can remember the fourth of July runnin' through the backwood bare.
And I can still hear my old hound dog barkin' chasin' down a hoodoo there
Chasin' down a hoodoo there.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1304 Recommends(s)
504 Recognized(s)

Postby Petrichor » 18 Mar 2012, 05:47

headhonchoII wrote:A woman once wanted to have my baby within one minute of meeting me on the MRT. I think she was a bit
mad though, she progressed to peel and eat an orange in front of the horrified MRT riders. The horror of it! ( the eating of the orange, not the let's make a baby part and no I did not tale up the offer).

Yeah, my husband thought there might be some mental health issues involved (not casting any aspersions on his attractiveness).

Forumosan avatar
Petrichor

67 Recommends(s)
75 Recognized(s)

Postby Petrichor » 18 Mar 2012, 05:49

Icon wrote:
Petrichor wrote:A woman felt my husband up on the MRT today.

Eh, you guys shouldn't move to Latin America. Just a thought.

I don't think we could take it.

Forumosan avatar
Petrichor

67 Recommends(s)
75 Recognized(s)

Postby superking » 18 Mar 2012, 09:58

headhonchoII wrote:A woman once wanted to have my baby within one minute of meeting me on the MRT. I think she was a bit

It's weird isn't it, you can vomit puddles of red betel spit onto the floor in public, make deep deep nose and throat clearing wrench sounds at the dinner table, and freely spit fish bones onto pieces of toilet paper in restaurants, yet so much as reach for a chewing gum on the MRT and the horror stare is unleashed.
There are millions of people in the world. And none of those people is an extra. They're all leads in their own stories.

If you lose one sense, your other senses are enhanced. That's why people with no sense of humour have an increased sense of self-importance.
superking
KTV Is My Life (jiùshì ài chàng KTV)
KTV Is My Life (jiùshì ài chàng KTV)

65 Recommends(s)
270 Recognized(s)

Postby mups » 18 Mar 2012, 10:10

superking wrote:

It's weird isn't it, you can vomit puddles of red betel spit onto the floor in public, make deep deep nose and throat clearing wrench sounds at the dinner table, and freely spit fish bones onto pieces of toilet paper in restaurants, yet so much as reach for a chewing gum on the MRT and the horror stare is unleashed.

I think it's because the MRT is relatively new and pristine, and therefore sacred. People there typically stay orderly on the escalators and such, and when getting on and off. But once they step out into the crap that is Taipei, it's hork city and pinball sidewalk.

I'm a firm believer surroundings are reflected in people's attitudes.
mups
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

13 Recognized(s)

PreviousNext

x

Return to Living in Taiwan