Whack Things in Taiwan (part 3)

Moderators: Tempo Gain, TheGingerMan

Forum rules
We hope that the Living in Taiwan forum will be of value to you and others. To ensure this, please note:

It is best to capitalize topics and to avoid vague titles. “Hi, I’m new” and “Help please” are examples of bad titles.

Before posting, please check the FAQ thread, and – more importantly – use the search function to ensure that your topic has not been discussed before and that there is not an existing thread you could update with your contribution.

While Living in Taiwan is a busy, wide-ranging forum, there are other specific forums for relationships, teaching, business, legal issues, animals, food, events, travel, restaurants, and so on. Check the Forumosa menu to find the most appropriate place for your post.

While it is preferable to post questions dealing with dissimilar topics in separate threads (“How Much for an Apartment in Tianmu?”, “Are There Many Foreigners in Tianmu?”), if you are a new arrival, it is possible to present numerous questions in one post, but realize that your thread will then, after two weeks, be merged into the New to Taiwan: Some Questions thread.

Re: Whack Things in Taiwan (part 3)

Postby superking » 18 Mar 2012, 10:19

mups wrote:
superking wrote:
headhonchoII wrote:A woman once wanted to have my baby within one minute of meeting me on the MRT. I think she was a bit
mad though, she progressed to peel and eat an orange in front of the horrified MRT riders. The horror of it! ( the eating of the orange, not the let's make a baby part and no I did not tale up the offer).

It's weird isn't it, you can vomit puddles of red betel spit onto the floor in public, make deep deep nose and throat clearing wrench sounds at the dinner table, and freely spit fish bones onto pieces of toilet paper in restaurants, yet so much as reach for a chewing gum on the MRT and the horror stare is unleashed.

I think it's because the MRT is relatively new and pristine, and therefore sacred. People there typically stay orderly on the escalators and such, and when getting on and off. But once they step out into the crap that is Taipei, it's hork city and pinball sidewalk.

I'm a firm believer surroundings are reflected in people's attitudes.

I suspect there is also a lessening of the type of dirt spewing sections of Taipei society seen riding on the MRT. You open an MRT in the greater Taichung area, Changua etc and it would quickly become a place for transporting gas bottles, caged wild animals and the like. Heck they'd probably be openly barbecuing on an MRT in some parts of the country. You gotta love Taiwan for that though.
There are millions of people in the world. And none of those people is an extra. They're all leads in their own stories.

If you lose one sense, your other senses are enhanced. That's why people with no sense of humour have an increased sense of self-importance.
superking
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)

87 Recommends(s)
323 Recognized(s)

Postby E04teacherlin » 18 Mar 2012, 10:35

mups wrote:
superking wrote:
headhonchoII wrote:

Which is why Canada is such a lovely place. Now if only they had kept Chris Bosh, I'd still be watching. The Jeremy Lin circus is the wackiest thing in Taiwan in my opinion though. Taiwanese people seem to love everything LA Lakers, because of Kobe Bryant, which is also stupid, since the Clippers are a much better team.
E04teacherlin
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)

85 Recommends(s)
50 Recognized(s)

Postby finley » 18 Mar 2012, 11:52

I think it's because the MRT is relatively new and pristine, and therefore sacred. People there typically stay orderly on the escalators and such, and when getting on and off. But once they step out into the crap that is Taipei, it's hork city and pinball sidewalk.

Possibly just the "broken window syndrome". People keep the MRT clean because it's clean. People treat Taipei like a shithole because it's a shithole.
"Global warming is happening and we KNOW that man is 100 percent responsible!!!"
- Fred Smith
Forumosan avatar
finley
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)

780 Recommends(s)
601 Recognized(s)

Postby Icon » 19 Mar 2012, 11:43

Yesterday I witnessed a heart-breaking scene that had me reaching for a shotgun, but none was available. :cry:

While admiring the beautiful big, red plate Japanese bikes struggling up the mountains from Xindian into Pinglin, a horrible sight left me in shock: this wannabe biker, in a huge yellow and black bike matching his "leather" yellow and black tights and jacket, carried a stuffed Winnie the Pooh on his back.

Mind you, I am all for cute, but that was disgusting. Really. And the worst part? I am afraid it's like the "call sign" of some bike club, as not far behind trailed a red and black equally clad "biker", with the stuffed resemblance of an anime character -can't remember the name right now, but it has a red hat and looks like a rat- on his back, too.

Imagine this in the West. Hopefully, them driving in front of a group of Hell's Angels or something like that. It would be brief.

Your man cards, driver's license, and bikes, please. Give em' back!!!!
"Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante". Mafalda

"Nice guy? Who gives a shit? If you want to work here, close."
Forumosan avatar
Icon
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

631 Recommends(s)
502 Recognized(s)

Postby PigBloodCake » 20 Mar 2012, 16:54

Life is a bitch and death is her sister.

I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell.
PigBloodCake
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)

9 Recommends(s)
27 Recognized(s)

Postby mike029 » 20 Mar 2012, 20:31

Another Apple Daily gem. I actually called them yesterday to get them to report on my university forcing both Taipei and Taoyuan students to all go to Taoyuan campus on Saturday from 9AM-6PM to watch a cheerleading competition (and if you don't go you fail PE), but apparently this is more newsworthy.
mike029
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)

3 Recommends(s)
40 Recognized(s)

Postby PigBloodCake » 20 Mar 2012, 22:07

mike029 wrote:

Another Apple Daily gem. I actually called them yesterday to get them to report on my university forcing both Taipei and Taoyuan students to all go to Taoyuan campus on Saturday from 9AM-6PM to watch a cheerleading competition (and if you don't go you fail PE), but apparently this is more newsworthy.

Totally. I mean, come on.....pulling 4 vehicles with.... :ohreally:

And he's in Tainan too (Bismarck county). Come on Bismarck, be his disciple. All the girls will "love you long time" :wink: :discodance:

Perhaps we can ask Guinness to put him in the record book :whistle: :thumbsup:
Life is a bitch and death is her sister.

I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell.
PigBloodCake

9 Recommends(s)
27 Recognized(s)

Postby Icon » 21 Mar 2012, 09:36

Eh, wasn't that already in a National geographic special?
"Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante". Mafalda

"Nice guy? Who gives a shit? If you want to work here, close."
Forumosan avatar
Icon
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

631 Recommends(s)
502 Recognized(s)

Postby bismarck » 21 Mar 2012, 13:54

PigBloodCake wrote:
mike029 wrote:

Totally. I mean, come on.....pulling 4 vehicles with.... :ohreally:

And he's in Tainan too (Bismarck county). Come on Bismarck, be his disciple. All the girls will "love you long time" :wink: :discodance:

Perhaps we can ask Guinness to put him in the record book :whistle: :thumbsup:

They already love me long time! :D

Geez, I winced just looking at that!
World Champions 1995, 2007; Tri-Nations champions 1998, 2004, 2009; Grand Slam Champions 1912/13, 1931/32, 1951/52, 1960/61; Defeated British & Irish Lions 1903, 1924, 1938, 1962, 1968, 1980, 2009
Super 14 Champions 2007, 2009, 2010
Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy and the lash.
Sir Winston Churchill

Second of all, as in all honeymoons, all is well until it is not. It is until the unexpected happens that you will see all grievances surface -ask anyone in any relationship. The girl can chew with her mouth open, that if you love her, you do not care. If you do not lover her, if her pinkie toe is half an inch deviant, the relationship is doomed. - Icon
Forumosan avatar
bismarck
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

150 Recommends(s)
141 Recognized(s)

Postby kjmillig » 23 Mar 2012, 08:07

Whack? The general attutude about driving that most Taiwanese have. I understand traffic in a crowded country, but when people continue to run 15 cars and scootes through a standing red, make long angled left turns into oncoming traffic, park so close that they hit your leg with their scooter, etc (ad nauseum) I have only one word...
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thank you. That is all.
"When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race [except in Taiwan]. ~paraphrased from H.G. Wells
Forumosan avatar
kjmillig
Night Market Cop (yè shì tiáo zi)
Night Market Cop (yè shì tiáo zi)

5 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Living in Taiwan