Whack Things in Taiwan (part 3)

Moderators: Tempo Gain, TheGingerMan

Forum rules
We hope that the Living in Taiwan forum will be of value to you and others. To ensure this, please note:

It is best to capitalize topics and to avoid vague titles. “Hi, I’m new” and “Help please” are examples of bad titles.

Before posting, please check the FAQ thread, and – more importantly – use the search function to ensure that your topic has not been discussed before and that there is not an existing thread you could update with your contribution.

While Living in Taiwan is a busy, wide-ranging forum, there are other specific forums for relationships, teaching, business, legal issues, animals, food, events, travel, restaurants, and so on. Check the Forumosa menu to find the most appropriate place for your post.

While it is preferable to post questions dealing with dissimilar topics in separate threads (“How Much for an Apartment in Tianmu?”, “Are There Many Foreigners in Tianmu?”), if you are a new arrival, it is possible to present numerous questions in one post, but realize that your thread will then, after two weeks, be merged into the New to Taiwan: Some Questions thread.

Re: Whack Things in Taiwan (part 3)

Postby Icon » 27 Apr 2012, 12:35

headhonchoII wrote:
Icon wrote:Dunno why I find it strange when "famous" people come to Taiwan, but this one is weird as he just got married:

A U.S. actor known for his role as "Mr. Big" in the TV show and movie "Sex and the City," said Thursday he is amazed by Taiwan's unique tea culture after visiting a century-old tea factory in Taipei.

During his first visit to Taiwan, Chris Noth said tea production in Taiwan -- from grading raw tea, sieving, curing to drying -- is so complicated that Western tea simply cannot compete.

"I don't think I will be able to experience other teas in quite the same way," Noth said during a trip to Wang Tea at the invitation of the Tourism Bureau.

Noth, who owns a tea brand himself, said that what impresses him the most about the production of Taiwanese tea is the incredible amount of labor and time involved.

From CNA

ps.
In my defense, I was searching for other stuff when this caught my eye, OK? And I did an article on that same tea factory, which I like very much.

He was doing the rounds of local TV interviews. I think his wife got him into it , they opened a teahouse in Canada but it failed. Now he is promoting his line of fruit teas, he's a spokesman and PR for the company but he seems pretty genuine. This was not quite as weird as deuce bigalow male gigalo and his wife coming here for their honeymoon!

Rats, I missed those interviews. would have been interesting to see what he had to say about the tea. And I think it was also almost honeymoon, he had just married like a week before. maybe Taiwan is the kind of place where they can walk down the streets, no one would bother them, but I don't know how much as most of us get stared/pinched/probed at just for being foreigners.

Yesterday, I went to cover an event, in my capacity as sort of reporter. People were taking pictures of me, and asking me to pose with them. :s Maybe the weight loss is working. :D
"Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante". Mafalda

"Nice guy? Who gives a shit? If you want to work here, close."
Forumosan avatar
Icon
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

531 Recommends(s)
412 Recognized(s)

Postby Icon » 29 Apr 2012, 13:12

Oh, just caught Mr. Big's interview on TBVS. Quite nice and refreshing to hear such smart talk. The only thing was the way the Taiwanese female interviewer phrased her questions. It was very difficult to understand, but the guy just took the lead and spoke in an interesting and remarkably revealing way. Furthermore, the reporter remained very professional, did not gush and awed and giggled her way through silly questions, that I am grateful for, as it is always annoying. She was actually very respectful. I was impressed. Oh, and he did plug in the tea. :D

Forumosan avatar
Icon
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

531 Recommends(s)
412 Recognized(s)

Postby kaikai34 » 16 Oct 2012, 01:17

I was walking my dog yesterday when I came upon my 10 year old neighbor and her grandmother. She was begging her grandmother for something and I immediately guessed that she wanted her granny to buy something for her. As I got closer, her grandmother with a slightly exasperated look finally relented and reached into her pocket. Out came a blue box. I thought that's a strange looking change purse. She opened up the box, reached in and pulled out a betel nut and gave it to her granddaughter.
Forumosan avatar
kaikai34
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)

8 Recommends(s)
26 Recognized(s)

Postby Novaspes » 06 Dec 2012, 12:19

superking wrote:

So stop repainting your scratches. People in France happily plough into one another all day long. Italy too.

Not true. Even in the somewhat less regulated South Italy scratching or bumping into someone's car is a big deal and people try very hard not to do it.

You seem to be getting this out of a dated stereotype.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2
Forumosan avatar
Novaspes
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)

436 Recommends(s)
132 Recognized(s)

Postby Icon » 16 Jan 2013, 14:28

Forgive me but still I find this quirky:

Image :s

Forumosan avatar
Icon
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

531 Recommends(s)
412 Recognized(s)

Postby hannes » 16 Jan 2013, 18:16

He spent his honeymoon in Taiwan with his hot Mexican wife. He IS a strange one.
Read about travelin in Taiwan in Travel in Taiwan. Free online PDF version at http://www.tit.com.tw. Also, visit the Travel in Taiwan fan page on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/taiwantravelmag for all sorts of things related to Taiwan travel. Travel in Taiwan is also available as a free iPad app at https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/travel-in-taiwan/id588665954?mt=8
Forumosan avatar
hannes

1 Recommends(s)
42 Recognized(s)

Postby headhonchoII » 16 Jan 2013, 22:48

You know it's not that strange. He could visit Taiwan without getting mobbed and followed by paparazzi everywhere. Thats a really big plus especially on your honeymoon.

He got treated well and probably got the whole thing paid for by the tenren tea. Maybe he really does like Taiwan.
I can remember the fourth of July runnin' through the backwood bare.
And I can still hear my old hound dog barkin' chasin' down a hoodoo there
Chasin' down a hoodoo there.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1304 Recommends(s)
504 Recognized(s)

Postby navillus » 16 Jan 2013, 23:01

kaikai34 wrote:I was walking my dog yesterday when I came upon my 10 year old neighbor and her grandmother. She was begging her grandmother for something and I immediately guessed that she wanted her granny to buy something for her. As I got closer, her grandmother with a slightly exasperated look finally relented and reached into her pocket. Out came a blue box. I thought that's a strange looking change purse. She opened up the box, reached in and pulled out a betel nut and gave it to her granddaughter.

Seriously. Where do you live? Top of some mountain in Nantou?
"collective madness is called sanity"
Paulo Coelho, Veronika Decides to Die
Forumosan avatar
navillus
Eldest Grandchild (zhǎngsūn)
Eldest Grandchild (zhǎngsūn)

6 Recommends(s)
15 Recognized(s)

Postby Icon » 17 Jan 2013, 11:33

headhonchoII wrote:You know it's not that strange. He could visit Taiwan without getting mobbed and followed by paparazzi everywhere. Thats a really big plus especially on your honeymoon.

He got treated well and probably got the whole thing paid for by the tenren tea. Maybe he really does like Taiwan.

Yep, I had said just as much before, but given that any foreigner here is treated like a panda, well, it is not much anonimity he's getting.

Mostly it is about the image. I mean, Mr. Big promoting tea, got it. Deuce Bigalow -his biggest role so far- well, not much. That's the mental link I'm making, not anything related Mr. Shneider the person.

And paparazzi here... oh, gosh... really awful...

Forumosan avatar
Icon
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

531 Recommends(s)
412 Recognized(s)

Postby mukashi » 17 Jan 2013, 13:21

navillus wrote:
kaikai34 wrote:I was walking my dog yesterday when I came upon my 10 year old neighbor and her grandmother. She was begging her grandmother for something and I immediately guessed that she wanted her granny to buy something for her. As I got closer, her grandmother with a slightly exasperated look finally relented and reached into her pocket. Out came a blue box. I thought that's a strange looking change purse. She opened up the box, reached in and pulled out a betel nut and gave it to her granddaughter.

Seriously. Where do you live? Top of some mountain in Nantou?

This is a scary story... I have never really paid much attention, but isn't there age limit or sth on the betel nut? Although I do think country side people around here just don't make some connection between what they give to eat to their kids and health... of course, some people
Forumosan avatar
mukashi
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)

30 Recommends(s)
14 Recognized(s)

PreviousNext

x

Return to Living in Taiwan