Sanctuary being torn down. We need your help!!! - click here for details
You can also visit TheSanctuaryTaiwan.org - click here to go to their contact page

How old is too old?

Moderators: Tempo Gain, TheGingerMan

Forum rules
We hope that the Living in Taiwan forum will be of value to you and others. To ensure this, please note:

It is best to capitalize topics and to avoid vague titles. “Hi, I’m new” and “Help please” are examples of bad titles.

Before posting, please check the FAQ thread, and – more importantly – use the search function to ensure that your topic has not been discussed before and that there is not an existing thread you could update with your contribution.

While Living in Taiwan is a busy, wide-ranging forum, there are other specific forums for relationships, teaching, business, legal issues, animals, food, events, travel, restaurants, and so on. Check the Forumosa menu to find the most appropriate place for your post.

While it is preferable to post questions dealing with dissimilar topics in separate threads (“How Much for an Apartment in Tianmu?”, “Are There Many Foreigners in Tianmu?”), if you are a new arrival, it is possible to present numerous questions in one post, but realize that your thread will then, after two weeks, be merged into the New to Taiwan: Some Questions thread.

How old is too old?

Postby JeffG » 14 Dec 2002, 13:01

I was asked by someone the other day how old I felt would be too old to move to another country. For example if a forienger in Taiwan goes back to his/her country and of course takes the spouse with him/her would there be an age at which point it would be too difficult for the spouse to adapt to the new environment? We had a fairly long and detialed discussion about this. An interesting topic I think.

What about the spouses family members, etc. Would they move or stay? We had a good discussion about this. Some issues related to this topic that we talked about were:

Is there a different how men and women think about this?
What about medical costs in Taiwan compared to a western country? If you are older the medical costs may be hirer.
What about the rest of the family? Would they move? Are they too old to adapt to a new environment?
What about the language, could they adapt and learn if they were too old?

For the spouse and other family members who immigrate:
Getting around
Interests, what to do - Boredom may set in.
Working?
Family togetherness, family lives together or apart?
Etc. Etc. Etc.

What do you guys think about this?

ATTN: American Citizens living in Taiwan, please support American Citizens Abroad - ACA http://www.americansabroad.org/

Americans living in Taiwan CALL your senators and representatives and ask them to repeal FATCA and support residency based taxation (RBT) for Americans living abroad! Writing a letter is useless! FATCA to be implemented on July 1, 2014, if you want to move money around, do it now!

The future is something which everyone reaches at the rate of sixty minutes an hour, whatever he does, whoever he is.
C.S. Lewis
Forumosan avatar
JeffG
I'm posting like Shakespeare (1564~1616)

ORIGINAL POSTER
12 Recognized(s)

Postby Tomas » 14 Dec 2002, 19:55

I can tell you that the U.S. health care system is entirely out of control. I pay $250 a month for health care here. I paid the same in the US, only the currency was US dollars. If you want to go bankrupt quickly, be a sickly person in the United States. Yeah, health care in Taiwan has a few drawbacks, but at least you won't go broke here.

I think adaptation has much to do with English ability, and even more to do with guts. My old boss, Mr. Chou, had a "nanny" living with him and his kids in the U.S. She had weak English skills and a small dandz, so she was pretty damned miserable. They lived in a nice city, but just driving to get the kids terrified her.
Tomas
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)

128 Recommends(s)
155 Recognized(s)

Postby Mr He » 16 Dec 2002, 19:22

All a mental game. If you feel too old, you are too old. I wouldn't mind trying a new country when I retire.
Jeg er hvad jeg er.

Bring Zain back!
Mr He
Bodhisattva (pútísàduǒ)
Bodhisattva (pútísàduǒ)

53 Recommends(s)
75 Recognized(s)

Postby chainsmoker » 16 Dec 2002, 20:58

Why are some threads like this one "head threads". What are the requirements. It obviously has nothing to do with the topic being interesting. Could someone please make the three head threads at the top of this section become headless so it's not so clunky? Why not keep things orderly? Also, while I'm on the subject, does anyone actually participate in polls or read the results? I don't really see the point.
Forumosan avatar
chainsmoker
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)

3 Recognized(s)

Postby SuperS54 » 16 Dec 2002, 21:26

Why don't you start a poll about it, Chainsmoker?
SuperS54
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)

19 Recommends(s)
8 Recognized(s)

Postby JeffG » 16 Dec 2002, 22:46

chainsmoker

This has nothing to do with this topic, just send me an email next time or hell yeah start a poll about it!!! :D :D :D

To answer your question, this was my decision to put it on the top (as a head thread) for a few days as I posted it on Friday, stupid me I know, so it got pushed down quite a bit. I have removed the head thread status as people have replied to it now and it is back on the top where people can see it at least for a couple of days. 8-)

There are no requirements it's simply what the moderators feel should be head threads.

I am not removing the head status of the other two because they are polls, after awhile I will indeed remove the head threadstatus. I hope to do this with all the polls so long as there is not a full page of them.. :shock: :lol:

And now back to our regularly scheduled thread topic!!! "How old is too old!"

ATTN: American Citizens living in Taiwan, please support American Citizens Abroad - ACA http://www.americansabroad.org/

Americans living in Taiwan CALL your senators and representatives and ask them to repeal FATCA and support residency based taxation (RBT) for Americans living abroad! Writing a letter is useless! FATCA to be implemented on July 1, 2014, if you want to move money around, do it now!

The future is something which everyone reaches at the rate of sixty minutes an hour, whatever he does, whoever he is.
C.S. Lewis
Forumosan avatar
JeffG

ORIGINAL POSTER
12 Recognized(s)

Postby chainsmoker » 16 Dec 2002, 23:31

I vote for 72
Forumosan avatar
chainsmoker

3 Recognized(s)

Postby JeffG » 17 Dec 2002, 00:54

72? Any reason?

C.S. Lewis
Forumosan avatar
JeffG

ORIGINAL POSTER
12 Recognized(s)

Postby chainsmoker » 17 Dec 2002, 01:44

Well, I once got beat in a 10km race by a dude who was 72 years old so I think that he could probably negotiate a McDonalds and find the telly remote in a foreign country, but 73?, cmon man, that's a little much, (that includes you, Mr. running man). I'm pretty sure you're not even allowed to fly international flights at that age. You're pretty susceptible to economy class syndrome (yes, even if you run a lot). Even if it is allowed, I don't want to say anything to encourage the 73+ crowd to fly, because, judging from past experience, I will end up sitting next to half of them getting rousted from valium-induced slumber to help them open their peanuts and figure out the tray table.
Forumosan avatar
chainsmoker

3 Recognized(s)

Postby Lord Lucan » 17 Dec 2002, 02:32

Thanks, CS, you've just reminded me to add vitamin V to my pre-Taiwan flight list. Never get on a plane without it.
Forumosan avatar
Lord Lucan
Almost a God (jīhū shì shén)
Almost a God (jīhū shì shén)

4 Recommends(s)
4 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to Living in Taiwan