Life on the MRT

Moderators: Tempo Gain, TheGingerMan

Forum rules
We hope that the Living in Taiwan forum will be of value to you and others. To ensure this, please note:

It is best to capitalize topics and to avoid vague titles. “Hi, I’m new” and “Help please” are examples of bad titles.

Before posting, please check the FAQ thread, and – more importantly – use the search function to ensure that your topic has not been discussed before and that there is not an existing thread you could update with your contribution.

While Living in Taiwan is a busy, wide-ranging forum, there are other specific forums for relationships, teaching, business, legal issues, animals, food, events, travel, restaurants, and so on. Check the Forumosa menu to find the most appropriate place for your post.

While it is preferable to post questions dealing with dissimilar topics in separate threads (“How Much for an Apartment in Tianmu?”, “Are There Many Foreigners in Tianmu?”), if you are a new arrival, it is possible to present numerous questions in one post, but realize that your thread will then, after two weeks, be merged into the New to Taiwan: Some Questions thread.

The Taipei MRT

Love it
91%
Hate it
9%

Total votes : 320

Re: Life on the MRT

Postby Incubus » 26 Jun 2012, 17:46

They put up a new stairway at Nanjing East Rd station. It drops you right at the corner of Nanjing and Fuxing instead of making you exit at the Brother Hotel bakery. Walking is now faster than taking the escalator, unless you're going to McD that is.
Incubus
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)

12 Recommends(s)
31 Recognized(s)

Postby chung » 28 Jun 2012, 01:05

Train trials start next month on the Zhongli section of the airport line. Opening of the first phase between Zhongli and Sanchong is a bit behind schedule, but should be completed by the end of 2013. Also, toward the end of the year construction of the Zhongli subway extension will be begin - two underground stations connecting the airport with the elevated TRA line at Zhongli Station.
http://www.junglicity.gov.tw/_admin/_up ... %8C%84.pdf
chung
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)

2 Recommends(s)
3 Recognized(s)

Postby cfimages » 30 Jun 2012, 09:34

Just been shooting some work on the MRT's upcoming lines. According to the latest info from DORTS, the Dongmen extension which will see trains go from Nanshijiao to Zhongxiao Xinsheng and then on to Luzhou / Sanchong opens in September this year. The Xinyi line, which will send the Danshui line out to Taipei 101 is due to open in December. They've finished the track work but are still building stations. I was in the construction of the Da'an Park Station the other day and it's going to look amazing when they complete it, with some really incredible landscaping. Finally, the Songshan line that'll run along Nanjing East Rd is on target for a December 2013 opening.

This is inside one of the tunnels on the Songshan line.

Do not take this photo and post it all over the net.
Forumosan avatar
cfimages
Golden Lotus (huángjīn liánhuā)

183 Recommends(s)
183 Recognized(s)

Postby Taiwan Luthiers » 30 Jun 2012, 09:41

Much better than that sick joke called "Schonfield Berlin Brandenburg airport"... nobody knows when that will open.
Cat-gut strings are made from kitten guts, stretched out to near breaking point and then hardened with grue saliva. As a result these give a feeling of Pain and anguish whenever played, and often end up playing themselves backwards as part of satanic rituals.

Typhoon Guitars
http://www.typhoonguitars.com
Taiwan Luthiers
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)

1 Recommends(s)
80 Recognized(s)

Postby RJF » 30 Jun 2012, 14:50

Terrific photo -- if you have more somewhere, I'd love to see them.
RJF
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

1 Recognized(s)

Re: Re: Life on the MRT

Postby cfimages » 30 Jun 2012, 15:17

RJF wrote:Terrific photo -- if you have more somewhere, I'd love to see them.

Thanks. I have a lot more as I was photographing it for work. I'll send you a link in the next couple of days - they're in a private gallery at the moment.
Forumosan avatar
cfimages

183 Recommends(s)
183 Recognized(s)

Postby Poagao » 30 Jun 2012, 16:08

I was in those tunnels around the Da'an Park station a couple of years ago:

The station was just being constructed then, only bare metal beams everywhere.

Can't wait to see the finished product.
Forumosan avatar
Poagao
Thinking of Having Kids (xiǎng yào shēng xiǎo hái)

5 Recommends(s)
69 Recognized(s)

Postby Taiwan Luthiers » 30 Jun 2012, 16:54

How do you guys get access to take those pictures, do you just ask nicely or are some kind of credentials required?
Cat-gut strings are made from kitten guts, stretched out to near breaking point and then hardened with grue saliva. As a result these give a feeling of Pain and anguish whenever played, and often end up playing themselves backwards as part of satanic rituals.

Typhoon Guitars
http://www.typhoonguitars.com
Taiwan Luthiers

1 Recommends(s)
80 Recognized(s)

Postby cfimages » 30 Jun 2012, 17:43

Taiwan Luthiers wrote:How do you guys get access to take those pictures, do you just ask nicely or are some kind of credentials required?

I had access because I was working on a story about it. Had to provide an accreditation letter from the news agency I was working for, as well as a detailed synopsis of what the story would be about.
Forumosan avatar
cfimages

183 Recommends(s)
183 Recognized(s)

Postby Poagao » 30 Jun 2012, 18:19

Taiwan Luthiers wrote:How do you guys get access to take those pictures, do you just ask nicely or are some kind of credentials required?

I know a guy.
Forumosan avatar
Poagao

5 Recommends(s)
69 Recognized(s)

PreviousNext

x

Return to Living in Taiwan