Life on the MRT

Moderators: Tempo Gain, TheGingerMan

Forum rules
We hope that the Living in Taiwan forum will be of value to you and others. To ensure this, please note:

It is best to capitalize topics and to avoid vague titles. “Hi, I’m new” and “Help please” are examples of bad titles.

Before posting, please check the FAQ thread, and – more importantly – use the search function to ensure that your topic has not been discussed before and that there is not an existing thread you could update with your contribution.

While Living in Taiwan is a busy, wide-ranging forum, there are other specific forums for relationships, teaching, business, legal issues, animals, food, events, travel, restaurants, and so on. Check the Forumosa menu to find the most appropriate place for your post.

While it is preferable to post questions dealing with dissimilar topics in separate threads (“How Much for an Apartment in Tianmu?”, “Are There Many Foreigners in Tianmu?”), if you are a new arrival, it is possible to present numerous questions in one post, but realize that your thread will then, after two weeks, be merged into the New to Taiwan: Some Questions thread.

The Taipei MRT

Love it
91%
Hate it
9%

Total votes : 320

Re: Life on the MRT

Postby tomthorne » 17 Nov 2011, 17:16

Sigognac wrote:
tomthorne wrote:
pgdaddy1 wrote:The truth is, that if you meet a friendly foreigner on the street in Taiwan, he's probably a mormon ....

Fixed that for you.

Wow, look who's speaking.

Ouch! I was only joking, dude. I don't really think that friendly people are morons. Some of them can be a bit special, but they're usually OK :)
tomthorne
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)

217 Recommends(s)
179 Recognized(s)

Postby Incubus » 17 Nov 2011, 17:25

Incubus
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)

12 Recommends(s)
34 Recognized(s)

Postby tommy525 » 19 Nov 2011, 14:42

Took BART to the SF CAR SHOW opening tonite. Nice ride there but on way back our car had a malfunctioning door that stopped us at several stations. Those BART trains are scheduled to be replaced after more then 30 years on the job. Or at least majorly refurbished. New seats very much needed.

Paid 10.65 to travel bout 30 miles each way. More expensive then TAipei's MRT.

But then Taipei doesnt pay its station attendants more then 100 grand a year or its drivers the same.

BART's a good living for a lot of people, even if its still a money loser. So much so that its a pain to find funds to replace those cars.

I prefer the Siemens cars over the Kawasaki ones on the TAipei MRT in general. I think they are a bit smoother . But there seems to be more Kawa cars then Siemens.

p.s. Amen to the eye candy on the MRT> IT seems every single car has at least one or two nice looking ladies.
Savage - what a nice performance

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMCMjEb68ds
Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

581 Recommends(s)
367 Recognized(s)

Postby Taiwan Luthiers » 19 Nov 2011, 15:00

Had malfunctioning doors in the Berlin U Bahn several times too. Nothing is more frustrating than have the train stop at my station then tries to push the button/pull the handle to open the door only to have nothing happen, or having to kick the doors for it to open.

This even happens on the newer train type that are supposed to be similar to the Taipei MRT cars. In fact they "fix" it by putting signs saying "This door is broken, please use another door"
Cat-gut strings are made from kitten guts, stretched out to near breaking point and then hardened with grue saliva. As a result these give a feeling of Pain and anguish whenever played, and often end up playing themselves backwards as part of satanic rituals.

Typhoon Guitars
http://www.typhoonguitars.com
Taiwan Luthiers
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)

1 Recommends(s)
86 Recognized(s)

Postby Greek@Taiwan » 19 Nov 2011, 16:45

I usually read books on the MRT, so I am quite oblivious to the people around me, foreigners and Taiwanese all the same. Unless there is an unusually hot girl sitting next to me.
Greek@Taiwan
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

Postby jp_mtl » 19 Nov 2011, 19:44

Maybe it's not always the same messages and never noticed before, but I thought MRT messages were different for transfer stations today. Also, I know it's not new but... "thank you for your patronage", really?
jp_mtl
Mastered ordering "beer" in Chinese (jīngtōng le yòng Guóyǔ shuō "píjiǔ")
Mastered ordering "beer" in Chinese (jīngtōng le yòng Guóyǔ shuō "píjiǔ")

3 Recognized(s)

Postby Dr Spock » 19 Nov 2011, 19:48

jp_mtl wrote:Maybe it's not always the same messages and never noticed before, but I thought MRT messages were different for transfer stations today. Also, I know it's not new but... "thank you for your patronage", really?

Quite correct. When you pay money for a service the vendor can say that.

http://www.thank-you-note-examples-and- ... tters.html
Dying is something you have no control over. Why waste your life being afraid of it?
Forumosan avatar
Dr Spock
Grasshopper (cǎo měng)

1 Recognized(s)

Postby Icon » 19 Nov 2011, 19:51

jp_mtl wrote:Maybe it's not always the same messages and never noticed before, but I thought MRT messages were different for transfer stations today. Also, I know it's not new but... "thank you for your patronage", really?

yeah, noticed at cks they changed the transfer info in Chinese.
"Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante". Mafalda

"Nice guy? Who gives a shit? If you want to work here, close."
Forumosan avatar
Icon
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

633 Recommends(s)
502 Recognized(s)

Postby mike029 » 20 Nov 2011, 18:20

Yes, back on topic...I noticed this as well. Today at Minquan W Rd it actually skipped the Mandarin and Taiwanese and just read Hakka and English...maybe they're preparing the announcements for Xinzhuang Line now.
mike029
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)

3 Recommends(s)
40 Recognized(s)

Postby tommy525 » 21 Nov 2011, 00:28

I still feel the MRT is a tower of babel. IT really should just be in Mandarin and English. IF they needed a third language then have Japanese. IF taipei wants to at least try to be "international". Hakka and TAiwanese is really not very much needed.

Very very few people in taiwan are still alive that can not understand Mandarin (taiwanese people I mean).

I wouldnt mind just having the voice in Mandarin and thats it. And then having the electronic signs read in English. Stevie Wonder is not visiting Taiwan soon so no need to even announce anything in English. Let the englishees READ dadburn it.

Too much fcuking noise on the MRT from all em frickin announcements at each stop. Stop the noise pollution.

I tell ya people's stress levels would decrease.
Savage - what a nice performance

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMCMjEb68ds
Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

581 Recommends(s)
367 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Living in Taiwan