Life on the MRT

Moderators: Tempo Gain, TheGingerMan

Forum rules
We hope that the Living in Taiwan forum will be of value to you and others. To ensure this, please note:

It is best to capitalize topics and to avoid vague titles. “Hi, I’m new” and “Help please” are examples of bad titles.

Before posting, please check the FAQ thread, and – more importantly – use the search function to ensure that your topic has not been discussed before and that there is not an existing thread you could update with your contribution.

While Living in Taiwan is a busy, wide-ranging forum, there are other specific forums for relationships, teaching, business, legal issues, animals, food, events, travel, restaurants, and so on. Check the Forumosa menu to find the most appropriate place for your post.

While it is preferable to post questions dealing with dissimilar topics in separate threads (“How Much for an Apartment in Tianmu?”, “Are There Many Foreigners in Tianmu?”), if you are a new arrival, it is possible to present numerous questions in one post, but realize that your thread will then, after two weeks, be merged into the New to Taiwan: Some Questions thread.

The Taipei MRT

Love it
91%
Hate it
9%

Total votes : 329

Re: Life on the MRT

Postby antarcticbeech » 25 Apr 2012, 18:44

Today at Guting the red lights on Platform 2 (one of two platforms not in use) were flashing. Is it an omen?
X
Forumosan avatar
antarcticbeech
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)

165 Recommends(s)
170 Recognized(s)

Postby tommy525 » 26 Apr 2012, 00:27

antarcticbeech wrote:Today at Guting the red lights on Platform 2 (one of two platforms not in use) were flashing. Is it an omen?

Its a portend of trains to come. Or its just a light test :)
Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

613 Recommends(s)
382 Recognized(s)

Postby Incubus » 27 Apr 2012, 17:12

So they're going to add a loop at the end of the Danshui line. Interesting. Looks like we'll be able to take the MRT to the beach in a few years decades.

Incubus
Immune to Breathalizers (jiǔ cèce bù chūlái)
Immune to Breathalizers (jiǔ cèce bù chūlái)

12 Recommends(s)
36 Recognized(s)

Postby PigBloodCake » 27 Apr 2012, 23:13

Incubus wrote:So they're going to add a loop at the end of the Danshui line. Interesting. Looks like we'll be able to take the MRT to the beach in a few years decades.

They're adding light rails. Not sure how they're gonna design the track but I do hope that they don't run on the road alongside cars.
Life is a bitch and death is her sister.

I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell.
PigBloodCake
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)

9 Recommends(s)
27 Recognized(s)

Postby Taiwan Luthiers » 27 Apr 2012, 23:23

PigBloodCake wrote:
Incubus wrote:So they're going to add a loop at the end of the Danshui line. Interesting. Looks like we'll be able to take the MRT to the beach in a few years decades.

They're adding light rails. Not sure how they're gonna design the track but I do hope that they don't run on the road alongside cars.

Yea I don't think street trolleys work here, that area is far too crowded. That doesnt mean they wont try because urban planners probably havent even been in the area.
Cat-gut strings are made from kitten guts, stretched out to near breaking point and then hardened with grue saliva. As a result these give a feeling of Pain and anguish whenever played, and often end up playing themselves backwards as part of satanic rituals.

Typhoon Guitars
http://www.typhoonguitars.com
Taiwan Luthiers
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)

1 Recommends(s)
91 Recognized(s)

Life on the MRT

Postby headhonchoII » 28 Apr 2012, 07:50

That line has been in the works for over a decade, I wonder is it 100% approved yet? Light rail/streetcars could work well in Taiwan in some locations. Taichung should have a streetcar system instead of waiting for decades for a mini MRT system.
I can remember the fourth of July runnin' through the backwood bare.
And I can still hear my old hound dog barkin' chasin' down a hoodoo there
Chasin' down a hoodoo there.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1782 Recommends(s)
638 Recognized(s)

Postby cranky laowai » 28 Apr 2012, 09:30

headhonchoII wrote:Taichung should have a streetcar system instead of waiting for decades for a mini MRT system.

What on earth would a city do with a good public transportation system? Infrastructure, schminfrastructure.

Isn't what Taizhong really needs a massive opera house? Oh, and one o' those Guggenheim museums, even though they don't come with any art. And how about a park on stilts! And....
Forumosan avatar
cranky laowai
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)

38 Recommends(s)
41 Recognized(s)

Life on the MRT

Postby headhonchoII » 28 Apr 2012, 11:38

Yeah what's worse is most of the population think public transportation is a waste of time now or in the future.
I can remember the fourth of July runnin' through the backwood bare.
And I can still hear my old hound dog barkin' chasin' down a hoodoo there
Chasin' down a hoodoo there.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1782 Recommends(s)
638 Recognized(s)

Postby Taiwan Luthiers » 28 Apr 2012, 11:41

headhonchoII wrote:Yeah what's worse is most of the population think public transportation is a waste of time now or in the future.

Most people don't want public transportation because they think only poor people uses them. So the government has to make people use them, like make public transportation very cheap, car/scooter ownership very expensive, etc.

They are necessary in a place like Taiwan because the road is overcrowded.
Cat-gut strings are made from kitten guts, stretched out to near breaking point and then hardened with grue saliva. As a result these give a feeling of Pain and anguish whenever played, and often end up playing themselves backwards as part of satanic rituals.

Typhoon Guitars
http://www.typhoonguitars.com
Taiwan Luthiers

1 Recommends(s)
91 Recognized(s)

Postby Poagao » 28 Apr 2012, 12:15

It's nothing new; back in the day Hsu Hsin-liang accused CCK of building "a highway for the rich at the expense of the poor" when the latter was planning the first north-south highway, and opposition to the plan resulted in the original multi-lane style being reduced to having only two lanes in each direction. See also opposition to Huang Da-zhou's Da'an Forest Park by the Taipei mayoral candidate Chen Shui-bian, who called it "Da'an Mud Park" but later pronounced it, when he was mayor, as a major accomplishment. And of course today, people protest more MRT lines being built near their houses because of the noise and construction, without any regard for the future, when their property prices will rise and the area will be more developed.
Forumosan avatar
Poagao
Thinking of Having Kids (xiǎng yào shēng xiǎo hái)
Thinking of Having Kids (xiǎng yào shēng xiǎo hái)

5 Recommends(s)
74 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Living in Taiwan