will there be a drop in housing prices?

Moderators: Tempo Gain, TheGingerMan

Forum rules
We hope that the Living in Taiwan forum will be of value to you and others. To ensure this, please note:

It is best to capitalize topics and to avoid vague titles. “Hi, I’m new” and “Help please” are examples of bad titles.

Before posting, please check the FAQ thread, and – more importantly – use the search function to ensure that your topic has not been discussed before and that there is not an existing thread you could update with your contribution.

While Living in Taiwan is a busy, wide-ranging forum, there are other specific forums for relationships, teaching, business, legal issues, animals, food, events, travel, restaurants, and so on. Check the Forumosa menu to find the most appropriate place for your post.

While it is preferable to post questions dealing with dissimilar topics in separate threads (“How Much for an Apartment in Tianmu?”, “Are There Many Foreigners in Tianmu?”), if you are a new arrival, it is possible to present numerous questions in one post, but realize that your thread will then, after two weeks, be merged into the New to Taiwan: Some Questions thread.

will there be a drop in housing prices?

Postby headhonchoII » 28 Apr 2012, 07:29

Exactly theres no point saying, I'm going into commodities. Take each one at it's merit. Look at all the possible things that could change. Are you really trying to equate Gold, Oil, Natural Gas and Corn?
Same with housing. Location , affordability, timing, interest rates, so many variables.
For instance I would not buy in north Taiwan now. I might buy in certain places in Taichung or down South.
But each one would have to be evaluated on individual merit and my own circumstances.
I can remember the fourth of July runnin' through the backwood bare.
And I can still hear my old hound dog barkin' chasin' down a hoodoo there
Chasin' down a hoodoo there.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1478 Recommends(s)
555 Recognized(s)

Re: will there be a drop in housing prices?

Postby kaikai34 » 13 Jun 2012, 22:46

I got married 6 years ago. Saved up for 2 years. Bought a little 17 ping apartment in Yonghe. Wife got pregnant 2 years later and so we decided to get a bigger place. Sold the apartment. Made about 800k. Bought a 42 pingger also in Yonghe for an obscene amount of money. Our neighbor bought his for about 4 mil less than we did 5 before. We have been living here for 2 years and got an offer for 2.5 million more than we paid for. It's a 17 year old building, and while it's practically right on top of an MRT station, this is not an 18 Million dollar house. We're not even in Taipei City fer crying out loud. We're selling and getting out. Housing prices are getting way too crazy. We're renting in the meantime. Like someone noted above, living in someone else's house sucks, but it's what I'm going to have to do for a while.
Forumosan avatar
kaikai34
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)

16 Recommends(s)
30 Recognized(s)

Postby SillyWilly » 14 Jun 2012, 12:20

kaikai34 wrote:I got married 6 years ago. Saved up for 2 years. Bought a little 17 ping apartment in Yonghe. Wife got pregnant 2 years later and so we decided to get a bigger place. Sold the apartment. Made about 800k. Bought a 42 pingger also in Yonghe for an obscene amount of money. Our neighbor bought his for about 4 mil less than we did 5 before. We have been living here for 2 years and got an offer for 2.5 million more than we paid for. It's a 17 year old building, and while it's practically right on top of an MRT station, this is not an 18 Million dollar house. We're not even in Taipei City fer crying out loud. We're selling and getting out. Housing prices are getting way too crazy. We're renting in the meantime. Like someone noted above, living in someone else's house sucks, but it's what I'm going to have to do for a while.

Think that's a smart move. Congrats on the nice gains. :) :notworthy: :bravo: :bravo:
Forumosan avatar
SillyWilly
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

1 Recommends(s)
5 Recognized(s)

Postby kaikai34 » 14 Jun 2012, 20:57

SillyWilly wrote:
kaikai34 wrote:I got married 6 years ago. Saved up for 2 years. Bought a little 17 ping apartment in Yonghe. Wife got pregnant 2 years later and so we decided to get a bigger place. Sold the apartment. Made about 800k. Bought a 42 pingger also in Yonghe for an obscene amount of money. Our neighbor bought his for about 4 mil less than we did 5 before. We have been living here for 2 years and got an offer for 2.5 million more than we paid for. It's a 17 year old building, and while it's practically right on top of an MRT station, this is not an 18 Million dollar house. We're not even in Taipei City fer crying out loud. We're selling and getting out. Housing prices are getting way too crazy. We're renting in the meantime. Like someone noted above, living in someone else's house sucks, but it's what I'm going to have to do for a while.

Think that's a smart move. Congrats on the nice gains. :) :notworthy: :bravo: :bravo:

Thanks. I hope it's the right move. That would suck if housing prices kept going up uncontrollably.
Forumosan avatar
kaikai34

16 Recommends(s)
30 Recognized(s)

Postby SillyWilly » 14 Jun 2012, 22:22

kaikai34 wrote:Thanks. I hope it's the right move. That would suck if housing prices kept going up uncontrollably.

Interest rate cycles everywhere are bottoming. Taiwan is no exception. Interest rates may continue to stay near historic lows for the time being, but with history as my witness, once interest rates start to rise real estate markets start declining and significantly overvalued markets start to collapse.

Right now everyone in Taiwan believes that real estate will always go up and they'll continue to pour money into it until that fallacy is proved wrong and the property market collapses. By that time it will be too late. Canada, Australia, Hong Kong, Singapore, Taiwan - their market participants believe that "this time it's different." It's not. It's just a matter of time.

The question you have to ask yourself is: Do you wanna get out with a nice profit and wait for the collapse? Or do you wanna be potentially trapped in a bad collapse and watch your "paper" profits evaporate?

There is a saying in the financial world: No one ever went broke taking profits.

Picking the exact top of the market is impossible. The Taiwanese market as a whole yields less than 1% net per year based on rental income. That's pathetic! and a sure sign that the market is topping. It could last a another few years, but who's to say.

Good luck making your decision.
Forumosan avatar
SillyWilly

1 Recommends(s)
5 Recognized(s)

Postby Tony the Tiger » 15 Jun 2012, 01:10

Damn Kirby, you're like an inadvertent speculator. Like a poker player who stumbled into the nuts :)
Born in Taiwan. Grew up in California. Graduated from Cal. State Fullerton in 2008. Studied Chinese for 3 semesters at Shi-Da. Decided to live in Taiwan so I joined the Taiwanese army as 替代役.

Full-time poker player, Part-time English teacher.
Forumosan avatar
Tony the Tiger
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

3 Recognized(s)

Postby Abacus » 15 Jun 2012, 01:18

I don't follow the Taiwan market closely but I'm very wary of it right now. Is there any substance to this article from the China Post (looking for flood info)? A 20-30% drop would be devastating in one year. Or is it just a sky is falling article?

http://www.chinapost.com.tw/taiwan/nati ... prices.htm
Abacus
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)

104 Recommends(s)
113 Recognized(s)

Postby Omniloquacious » 15 Jun 2012, 07:31

I'd say that China Post article looks about right. There may be a small chance that the market will heat up again, but there's a ten times greater chance that it will cool, either slowly or rapidly.

Kaikai, I think you're doing exactly the right thing to sell and rent until prices have dipped to a more rationally justifiable level. Congratulations on making such a solid profit from your first two forays into the housing market here. It's a lot easier way to build up your capital than working, isn't it!

I have put my house on the market, but I'm not very optimistic that I'll be able to find a buyer. An odd thing about the Linkou housing market is that houses don't seem to attract a premium over apartments: the price per ping is roughly the same for both. That seems very strange to me, and I struggle to understand it. If you buy a house like mine, you are getting the whole of the space that you pay for. If it says 70 ping on the title deed, you have at least 70 ping of indoor space to occupy. If you buy an apartment, you lose as much as a third of what you pay for to communal space. So to have 70 ping under your own ceiling, you need to buy around 100 ping. In Linkou, new or newish houses and apartments are both averagely fetching in the region NT$200~300,000 per ping, with more at the lower than upper end of that range.

On advice from the real estate agents who are handling the sale of my place, we're asking for a bit over NT$18 million for a 5-floor, 70-ping-on-the-deed, 85-ping-of-total-floorspace townhouse that's less than 4 years old, well constructed, and well fitted out and decorated. In other words, the same price as someone is willing to pay for Kaikai's mid-sized, 17-year-old apartment in Yonghe. But of course, that's just our asking price, and any buyer knows that there must be a lot of room to negotiate a much lower transaction price. We've set our bottom line at NT$16 million in hand, after paying the agent's cut. If they sell for around NT$16.7 million or more, they'll get 4%, we'll get our 16 million. If they sell for between 16 and 16.7, we'll get the 16 and they'll get the difference. If they sell for more than 16.7, they'll get 4%, we'll get the rest. So far, after about 3 weeks, they've brought 3 potential buyers to look, but none of those has followed up. My sister-in-law, who works for the selling agents, says that there's been a sharp drop in people looking to buy since mid-May. The agents have 3 months to find us a buyer at our initial price, and if they don't, we'll probably need to reduce the asking price. I'm fully expecting that to be necessary, and don't hold out much realistic hope of getting more than 15 million. A few months ago, I'd have expected it to be snapped up quickly at 15 or even 16 million.

If so many people are paying 20 million or more to buy unfinished apartments in Linkou (as has been the case), why should it be so much harder to find buyers willing to pay as much or even significantly less for a substantially larger terraced house in a fully occupied and fairly attractive gated community? I would much rather live in a house than in an apartment. My parents-in-law and sister-in-law both live in similar houses in Linkou, and they'd never consider swapping them for apartments, so I can't understand why there aren't more people in the market looking for houses rather than apartments in the same price range.

I would actually be very happy living in my house if only it wasn't in Linkou and if only I didn't have such awful neighbours. But whereas I really detest living in Linkou, a lot of Taiwanese apparently think it's a wonderful place to live, so my reasons for not wanting to stay here wouldn't apply to most people house-hunting in Linkou.

Anyway, if I do get lucky and receive an offer at an acceptable price, I'll sell without any hesitation and rent a home temporarily while I either search for a replacement in a cheaper location (ideally further south) or, like Kaikai, wait until there's a big dip in prices, and then buy again in a location I like better in the north (ideally Xindian).
If I prioritized the acquisition of wealth above other purposes in life, I might still have come to Taiwan to study Chinese, but I doubt I would have remained here.
寸金難買寸光陰
Forumosan avatar
Omniloquacious
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)

63 Recommends(s)
189 Recognized(s)

Postby kaikai34 » 15 Jun 2012, 12:59

@Silly Willy: We signed the papers. We are looking for places to rent right now. The problem is that very few of the places we've looked at measure up to our own place and the few that do really look nice, either don't allow dogs or is on the 6th floor of the gongyu jia gai... the sometimes illegal rooftop apartments. Stairs are no good because our dog is 12 years old and she has trouble with them.

@Tony: Yeah, ain't that how it works. Beginner's dumb luck.

@Omni: Thanks, I don't know how long it would have taken to save up that much money, especially now that we have a kid. Good luck on selling your house. The bad neighbor thing is shooting craps. Bad luck I guess.
Forumosan avatar
kaikai34

16 Recommends(s)
30 Recognized(s)

Postby SillyWilly » 15 Jun 2012, 13:26

kaikai34 wrote:@Silly Willy: We signed the papers. We are looking for places to rent right now. The problem is that very few of the places we've looked at measure up to our own place and the few that do really look nice, either don't allow dogs or is on the 6th floor of the gongyu jia gai... the sometimes illegal rooftop apartments. Stairs are no good because our dog is 12 years old and she has trouble with them.

@Tony: Yeah, ain't that how it works. Beginner's dumb luck.

@Omni: Thanks, I don't know how long it would have taken to save up that much money, especially now that we have a kid. Good luck on selling your house. The bad neighbor thing is shooting craps. Bad luck I guess.

Congratulations on the sale. :discodance: Finding suitable rental accommodation is always challenging. Sure you'll find something nice eventually. :)
Forumosan avatar
SillyWilly

1 Recommends(s)
5 Recognized(s)

PreviousNext

Return to Living in Taiwan