Hanyu pinyin to be official in 2009

Moderators: Tempo Gain, TheGingerMan

Forum rules
We hope that the Living in Taiwan forum will be of value to you and others. To ensure this, please note:

It is best to capitalize topics and to avoid vague titles. “Hi, I’m new” and “Help please” are examples of bad titles.

Before posting, please check the FAQ thread, and – more importantly – use the search function to ensure that your topic has not been discussed before and that there is not an existing thread you could update with your contribution.

While Living in Taiwan is a busy, wide-ranging forum, there are other specific forums for relationships, teaching, business, legal issues, animals, food, events, travel, restaurants, and so on. Check the Forumosa menu to find the most appropriate place for your post.

While it is preferable to post questions dealing with dissimilar topics in separate threads (“How Much for an Apartment in Tianmu?”, “Are There Many Foreigners in Tianmu?”), if you are a new arrival, it is possible to present numerous questions in one post, but realize that your thread will then, after two weeks, be merged into the New to Taiwan: Some Questions thread.

MOE Approves Hanyu Pinyin as Taiwan Transliteration Policy?

Postby tango42 » 17 Sep 2008, 08:59

Not sure if this is exact or true but it will help Taiwan's competitiveness in the world if so... and make my life easier.

News article paraphrase: Hanyu Pinyin will be adopted as the main transliteration in Taiwan, instead of the Tongyong Pinyin, which had been used island-wide for the last six years. The Cabinet approved a proposal by the Ministry of Education (MOE) Tuesday. Hanyu Pinyin is to help Taiwan's internationalization and international competitiveness, said the MOE.
“Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not.”
― Ralph Waldo Emerson
tango42
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)

ORIGINAL POSTER
6 Recommends(s)
41 Recognized(s)

Re: MOE Approves Hanyu Pinyin as Taiwan Transliteration Policy?

Postby Icon » 17 Sep 2008, 09:15

YES!!! YES!! YES!!!

It's official. :bouncy: :grin: :dance:

Now I have to get my act together.

EDIT:

Waaait a moment...now we have to change Taibei and other place names :eek:
"Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante". Mafalda

"Nice guy? Who gives a shit? If you want to work here, close."
Forumosan avatar
Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

722 Recommends(s)
567 Recognized(s)

Postby hannes » 17 Sep 2008, 09:18

tango42 wrote:Not sure if this is exact or true but it will help Taiwan's competitiveness in the world if so... and make my life easier.

News article paraphrase: Hanyu Pinyin will be adopted as the main transliteration in Taiwan, instead of the Tongyong Pinyin, which had been used island-wide for the last six years. The Cabinet approved a proposal by the Ministry of Education (MOE) Tuesday. Hanyu Pinyin is to help Taiwan's internationalization and international competitiveness, said the MOE.

Link, please?

Finally.

Problem is, DPP ruled local governments (the few that remain) will probably continue sticking to their own way of transliteration. The central government should be able to enforce this kind of law islandwide.
Read about traveling in Taiwan in Travel in Taiwan. Free online PDF version at http://www.tit.com.tw. Also, visit the Travel in Taiwan fan page on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/taiwantravelmag for all sorts of things related to Taiwan travel. Travel in Taiwan is also available as a free iPad app at http://appstore.com/travelintaiwan
Forumosan avatar
hannes
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)

1 Recommends(s)
67 Recognized(s)

Postby tango42 » 17 Sep 2008, 09:40

I don't have link but is United Daily News page 11 I think.
“Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not.”
― Ralph Waldo Emerson
tango42

ORIGINAL POSTER
6 Recommends(s)
41 Recognized(s)

Postby Feiren » 17 Sep 2008, 10:26

Here's the link. Under the proposal, central government websites will begin using Hanyu pinyin. If a local government wants a subsidy for an "activity" that involves transliteration, it will need to use Hanyu pinyin to be eligible for funding. Funds will also be available for local governments that want to replace Tongyong from central government funding for local governments. The idea is to gradually phase out Tongyong rather than appropriating massive funding for an immediate switch. Ovid Tseng, who chaired the meeting that approved the policy, urged the Ministry of Education to amend its Principles Governing the Use of Chinese Transliteration to adopt Hanyu pinyin officially. According to the Ministry, the government should emphasize that this measure has no ideological significance in terms of the debate over independence or unification. Also, Kaohsiung City, which is under DPP administration, has also proposed switching to Hanyu pinyin.

The only possible holdout I see locally is the Kaohsiung County government, but I predict they will give in quickly once they are denied funds.

So we will have a few more years of chaos while we switch road signs back from Tongyong before we end up with what should be a relatively uniform pinyin situation.
Feiren
Former City Mayor (qiánrèn shìzhǎng)

4 Recommends(s)
204 Recognized(s)

Postby Dragonbones » 17 Sep 2008, 10:26

Sounds too good to be true. :ponder:
NEW! Better for you! This post is now carb-conscious, low-fat, and gluten-free!
Forumosan avatar
Dragonbones
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

39 Recommends(s)
112 Recognized(s)

Postby Feiren » 17 Sep 2008, 10:31

I suppose. On the one hand, it may make things a bit easier for new arrivals. On the other hand, anyone who doesn't see that this is part of the new government's highly ideological policy of rolling back all symbols of Taiwanese sovereignty is deluding themselves. This was not done to 'internationalize' or convenience foreigners. It was done to Sinify. Be careful what you ask for.
Feiren

4 Recommends(s)
204 Recognized(s)

Postby sjcma » 17 Sep 2008, 10:41

I mean really, did this take anyone by surprise?

And if the DPP wins the next presidential election, will we get a reversal once again?
If you aren’t failing, then you aren’t trying hard enough.
Forumosan avatar
sjcma
Second Landlord (èr fáng dōng)
Second Landlord (èr fáng dōng)

3 Recognized(s)

Postby Feiren » 17 Sep 2008, 10:43

I doubt seriously we will see another reversal. Hsieh and Tsai Ying-wen both take a more pragmatic approach to these issues with the exception of CKS Memorial Hall.
Feiren

4 Recommends(s)
204 Recognized(s)

Postby alidarbac » 17 Sep 2008, 11:01

I love HP as much as the rest of you guys, but I'd hold off on breaking out the metaphorical champagne just yet. Just because it's being mandated doesn't mean government officials outside Taipei city will know how to use it. I predict that within 5 years, you'll see a lot of incorrectly used HP: misspellings (re for ri, chi for qi), outright typos, incorrect spacing (the equivalent of Zhongxiaofuxing or Zhongxiao Fuxing), misusage of apostrophes, intercapitalization, etc.

Indeed, I predict cranky laowai's blog will be filled with more posts than before with complaints about how some schmoe in rural Yunlin or Taidong county misused an apostrophe.

Hsieh and Tsai Ying-wen both take a more pragmatic approach to these issues with the exception of CKS Memorial Hall.

I believe you mean Xie and Cai Yingwen? :whistle:
Forumosan avatar
alidarbac
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)

4 Recommends(s)
6 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to Living in Taiwan