How much money did you arrive with?

Moderators: Tempo Gain, TheGingerMan

Forum rules
We hope that the Living in Taiwan forum will be of value to you and others. To ensure this, please note:

It is best to capitalize topics and to avoid vague titles. “Hi, I’m new” and “Help please” are examples of bad titles.

Before posting, please check the FAQ thread, and – more importantly – use the search function to ensure that your topic has not been discussed before and that there is not an existing thread you could update with your contribution.

While Living in Taiwan is a busy, wide-ranging forum, there are other specific forums for relationships, teaching, business, legal issues, animals, food, events, travel, restaurants, and so on. Check the Forumosa menu to find the most appropriate place for your post.

While it is preferable to post questions dealing with dissimilar topics in separate threads (“How Much for an Apartment in Tianmu?”, “Are There Many Foreigners in Tianmu?”), if you are a new arrival, it is possible to present numerous questions in one post, but realize that your thread will then, after two weeks, be merged into the New to Taiwan: Some Questions thread.

How much money did you arrive with?

Postby Skyfae » 06 May 2009, 06:20

If you came to Taiwan as an English teacher, how much money did you arrive with or would you suggest to survive the first month?

Thanks!
Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens
Forumosan avatar
Skyfae
Mastered ordering "beer" in Chinese (jīngtōng le yòng Guóyǔ shuō "píjiǔ")
Mastered ordering "beer" in Chinese (jīngtōng le yòng Guóyǔ shuō "píjiǔ")

ORIGINAL POSTER

Re: How much money did you arrive with?

Postby Buttercup » 06 May 2009, 07:23

350 000NT.

100 000? Depends whether you want to live in a dump or need to leave for a visa run.
'Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof'

Before you lovingly craft your PM, make like any writer and consider your audience. With all the information at your disposal, is there any possibility that the recipient will open it? Would your time be better employed?
Buttercup
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

7 Recognized(s)

Postby tommy525 » 06 May 2009, 07:27

The more the better obviously. But anything less then 2000 USD probably is making things hard. Unless you have a job lined up and a place to stay I would think?

You have to keep yourself fed and housed because they pay you at the end of the first month (month by month) usually and many places you rent want a month or two months as deposit?

Ran across this blog by a young lady teaching in Taiwan for a year. Seems she pays only 1200nt for a room in an apt provided by her school . Now thats a deal. But also seems she teaches some kindy (which is illegal?).

Otherwise seems like a nice enough gig? With that kind of gig you could to to Taiwan with less then 2k and probably be ok.

http://blondeintaiwan.blogspot.com/2009 ... chive.html
the driveller - tommy525
Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

477 Recommends(s)
317 Recognized(s)

Postby Huang Guang Chen » 06 May 2009, 07:39

I arrived as a student with a reasonable wad, but thinking about it, years later I left as an editor in debt!!!!!

HG
I'm a wicked young lady, but I've been trying hard lately. Oh fark it! I'm a monster! I admit it!
Forumosan avatar
Huang Guang Chen
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

15 Recommends(s)
44 Recognized(s)

Postby tommy525 » 06 May 2009, 07:59

haha that can easily happen. YOu certainly can overspend in Taiwan quite easily. And BEER is a four letter word.
the driveller - tommy525
Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

477 Recommends(s)
317 Recognized(s)

Postby naijeru » 06 May 2009, 08:45

I came with 2000 USD. Needed every penny because that first paycheck was not going to last a month. Therefore I'd suggest 3000 to be comfortable, but it's definitely doable with 2000, maybe even 1500.
Forumosan avatar
naijeru
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)

7 Recognized(s)

Postby Matchstick_man » 06 May 2009, 08:54

I arrived with 1500 US. I'd recommend bringing more as it makes it easier to leave a job if you're unhappy with it
Matchstick_man
Mahjong Maniac (májiàng mí)
Mahjong Maniac (májiàng mí)

29 Recommends(s)
6 Recognized(s)

Postby bob_honest » 06 May 2009, 08:58

Came with 40 000 Euro, now I have 1000 but house and SUV and gray hair.
Wait, I am no Engrish teachur. Solly :oops:
Hush child, it's only the sound of the dragon god: http://www.forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.php?f=82&t=122562.
Forumosan avatar
bob_honest
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)

91 Recommends(s)
46 Recognized(s)

Postby housecat » 06 May 2009, 09:18

It's been a long time, but I think I had about a thousand US when I first arrived, but I also had a place to stay when I arrived that was free for a month, and then I paid 4000 NT per month for it.

I also had a job when I arrived, but as I recall, it was six weeks before I began to get paid. A bit unusual, but I began in the middle of the month and got a month and a half worth of pay the first pay day.

For me, that thousand was fine, but I didn't have rent, didn't have to pay a deposit, and really only paid for food. Well, also personal items and such that I hadn't brought with me, or not enough of.

But I spent way too much on food, eating almost exclusively western food. I'm a very adventurous person in a lot of ways, but I'm a picky eater, so took me some time to venture into the local fare. Anyway, at the end of the month and a half I was broke and very happy to see that pay day!
Forumosan avatar
housecat
Almost a God (jīhū shì shén)
Almost a God (jīhū shì shén)

95 Recommends(s)
113 Recognized(s)

Postby Dragonbones » 06 May 2009, 13:41

It's been 14.5 years so I'm not sure, but I do know that after unexpectedly having to fly to Hong Kong twice due to delays getting a work visa, and an extended delay there due to idiotic red tape, I was running very short on money. SO if you can, bring twice as much as you think you'll need -- at least US$3000, anyway.
Forumosan avatar
Dragonbones
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

36 Recommends(s)
92 Recognized(s)

Next

x

Return to Living in Taiwan