How much money did you arrive with?

Moderators: Tempo Gain, TheGingerMan

Forum rules
We hope that the Living in Taiwan forum will be of value to you and others. To ensure this, please note:

It is best to capitalize topics and to avoid vague titles. “Hi, I’m new” and “Help please” are examples of bad titles.

Before posting, please check the FAQ thread, and – more importantly – use the search function to ensure that your topic has not been discussed before and that there is not an existing thread you could update with your contribution.

While Living in Taiwan is a busy, wide-ranging forum, there are other specific forums for relationships, teaching, business, legal issues, animals, food, events, travel, restaurants, and so on. Check the Forumosa menu to find the most appropriate place for your post.

While it is preferable to post questions dealing with dissimilar topics in separate threads (“How Much for an Apartment in Tianmu?”, “Are There Many Foreigners in Tianmu?”), if you are a new arrival, it is possible to present numerous questions in one post, but realize that your thread will then, after two weeks, be merged into the New to Taiwan: Some Questions thread.

Re: How much money did you arrive with?

Postby twonavels » 29 May 2010, 09:27

tommy525 wrote:
twonavels wrote:I had NT$5000, but I had a job lined up and and I lived in an empty breakfast shop for the first six months. It was a lot of fun. I ate a lot of bread from the bread stores, and was very happy to get my first pay check after 1 and a half months! That was 10 years ago.

Did you write about it before or someone else had the same experience. LIving in a shop with those steel doors that you can pull down and once down is dark as heck without interior lights? Cockroaches coming thru on the bottom etc? Man some of you guys do "edge" onto the island thats for sure.

But hey i came to live in the usa this time bout ten years ago with tens of thousands in debt and now..... im in MORE debt. Ahh life in Merica.

Yeah, I did write about it before. I guess it was something to write about, which is always good. :)
Forumosan avatar
twonavels
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)

5 Recommends(s)
3 Recognized(s)

Postby maoman » 29 May 2010, 13:14

Huang Guang Chen wrote:I arrived as a student with a reasonable wad, but thinking about it, years later I left as an editor in debt!

Ha! I came with over $3000NT in my pocket, and since then I've more than doubled my nest egg! :discodance:
Forumosan avatar
maoman

76 Recommends(s)
44 Recognized(s)

Postby MJB » 29 May 2010, 13:20

I came with about 20kUSD, no idea that a teaching market here even existed, and a plan to stay for one year...

In 1986.
Nemo enim fere saltat sobrius, nisi forte insanit
MJB
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)

6 Recognized(s)

Postby tommy525 » 29 May 2010, 13:30

MJB wrote:I came with about 20kUSD, no idea that a teaching market here even existed, and a plan to stay for one year...

In 1986.

One heck of a loooong year :)
Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

608 Recommends(s)
379 Recognized(s)

Postby Huang Guang Chen » 29 May 2010, 13:35

Maoman wrote:
Huang Guang Chen wrote:I arrived as a student with a reasonable wad, but thinking about it, years later I left as an editor in debt!

Ha! I came with over $3000NT in my pocket, and since then I've more than doubled my nest egg! :discodance:

My investments in Taiwan have since squared up that tally very nicely, and then some.

Taiwan up!

HG
I'm a wicked young lady, but I've been trying hard lately. Oh fark it! I'm a monster! I admit it!
Forumosan avatar
Huang Guang Chen
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

15 Recommends(s)
44 Recognized(s)

Postby Durins Bane » 30 May 2010, 21:56

I had fifty USD in my pocket. I was so broke.....I taped a sign to the back of my shirt stating "English classes $400NT per hour" and rode up and down the escalator at the department stores. Taught in the park.
Guns don't kill people...magic missles do.

My first level orc is smarter than your honor student.
Durins Bane
Generalissimo (dàyuánshuài)
Generalissimo (dàyuánshuài)

7 Recognized(s)

Postby Tomas » 30 May 2010, 22:16

Durins Bane wrote:I had fifty USD in my pocket. I was so broke.....I taped a sign to the back of my shirt stating "English classes $400NT per hour" and rode up and down the escalator at the department stores. Taught in the park.

I remember that story. And if you didn't have a family that would suffer because of it, you'd go back to that day in a minute, wouldn't you?
Come on baby, you know you my home slice.
Tomas
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)

143 Recommends(s)
169 Recognized(s)

Postby Shimokitazawa » 01 Jun 2010, 01:24

Durins Bane wrote:I had fifty USD in my pocket. I was so broke.....I taped a sign to the back of my shirt stating "English classes $400NT per hour" and rode up and down the escalator at the department stores. Taught in the park.

How many years ago would that have been?

ballsy.
Shimokitazawa
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)

2 Recognized(s)

Postby Brendon » 01 Jun 2010, 03:00

I arrived with about US$1500 in local currency, which I bought at Heathrow in London. The first time I tried to buy a drink at 7-11, I found out they had (unknowingly) sold me old currency and that it was all useless until I could change it at a particular bank -- which was way beyond me at the time.

So I starved for a month. It was fun!
Brendon
Eldest Grandchild (zhǎngsūn)
Eldest Grandchild (zhǎngsūn)

7 Recommends(s)
24 Recognized(s)

Postby Shimokitazawa » 01 Jun 2010, 14:46

Brendon wrote:I arrived with about US$1500 in local currency, which I bought at Heathrow in London. The first time I tried to buy a drink at 7-11, I found out they had (unknowingly) sold me old currency and that it was all useless until I could change it at a particular bank -- which was way beyond me at the time.

So I starved for a month. It was fun!

that would have been a great time to read Knut Hamsen's Hunger
Shimokitazawa

2 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Living in Taiwan