Best area of Kaohsiung to live in?

Moderators: Tempo Gain, TheGingerMan

Forum rules
We hope that the Living in Taiwan forum will be of value to you and others. To ensure this, please note:

It is best to capitalize topics and to avoid vague titles. “Hi, I’m new” and “Help please” are examples of bad titles.

Before posting, please check the FAQ thread, and – more importantly – use the search function to ensure that your topic has not been discussed before and that there is not an existing thread you could update with your contribution.

While Living in Taiwan is a busy, wide-ranging forum, there are other specific forums for relationships, teaching, business, legal issues, animals, food, events, travel, restaurants, and so on. Check the Forumosa menu to find the most appropriate place for your post.

While it is preferable to post questions dealing with dissimilar topics in separate threads (“How Much for an Apartment in Tianmu?”, “Are There Many Foreigners in Tianmu?”), if you are a new arrival, it is possible to present numerous questions in one post, but realize that your thread will then, after two weeks, be merged into the New to Taiwan: Some Questions thread.

Best area of Kaohsiung to live in?

Postby dasmania » 13 Jul 2010, 14:59

Hey I'm looking at moving to Kaohsiung from the North in a few months. What's the best area to live in for foreigners? Not too familiar with the city, just know it has beaches and better weather than up here. (Me likey the sun)
I used to think I was wasting my time teaching in Taiwan...after 6 months of unemployment back home I realized what wasting time truly is. Enjoy the moment.
dasmania
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)

ORIGINAL POSTER
1 Recommends(s)
1 Recognized(s)

Re: Best area of Kaohsiung to live in?

Postby Abacus » 13 Jul 2010, 16:07

You will be disappointed by the beaches. there are a couple but merely okay. the summer is hot (as many will say) but it's also hot in taipei. And the winter is perfect. sunny and cool/warm.

The popular areas to live are the Love river area (considered downtown I guess) and Zuoying. I've also had the cultural center area recommended and quite a few people live out by Chen ching lake but it's kind of disconnected from the rest of the city imo. and there are probably a couple of other nice areas to live in but these are the places that I know of.
Abacus
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)

108 Recommends(s)
113 Recognized(s)

Postby Tazzie » 13 Jul 2010, 16:18

Isn't there a beach by Sun Yat Sen University?
Forumosan avatar
Tazzie
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

2 Recommends(s)
1 Recognized(s)

Postby Abacus » 13 Jul 2010, 16:26

Tazzie wrote:Isn't there a beach by Sun Yat Sen University?

I didn't say that there wasn't. I merely said that you will be disappointed by the beaches.
Abacus

108 Recommends(s)
113 Recognized(s)

Postby Tazzie » 13 Jul 2010, 16:31

I am not arguing -- just asking. I heard there was a beach over there but have never seen it. What's the problem? -- litter and crap? That's what I find up my way.
Forumosan avatar
Tazzie

2 Recommends(s)
1 Recognized(s)

Postby headhonchoII » 13 Jul 2010, 17:06

The beach is small and not very accessible. Nice place to see the sunset though.
The best beach I have seen in a city area is at Anping beside Tainan City...lovely spot! Loads of people windsurfing and sailing.
I can remember the fourth of July runnin' through the backwood bare.
And I can still hear my old hound dog barkin' chasin' down a hoodoo there
Chasin' down a hoodoo there.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1485 Recommends(s)
556 Recognized(s)

Postby naguoning » 13 Jul 2010, 17:37

Which beach? There is more than one and some that are not so well known but are not so far from down town. I have lived in a couple of places in Kaohsiung but my favourite would definately be where I am now: http://www.haskellco.org/escape41/pho29.jpg
It is in the ChaiShan area inside ZhongShan university (Sun-YatSen). It is about 15 mins from down town. Ie no further than ZuoYing (TsoYing). It is not so easy to find a place to live in this area though now.
Kieren says TVBS must equal TeleVision BullSh@t, as if we did not know that already.
naguoning

1 Recognized(s)

Postby mups » 13 Jul 2010, 18:50

I don't live there but I go by a lot and Zuoying seems like a nice comfort zone, the residential area there seems pretty nice.
mups
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)

13 Recognized(s)

Postby Tazzie » 13 Jul 2010, 19:18

naguoning wrote:Which beach? There is more than one and some that are not so well known but are not so far from down town. I have lived in a couple of places in Kaohsiung but my favourite would definately be where I am now: http://www.haskellco.org/escape41/pho29.jpg
It is in the ChaiShan area inside ZhongShan university (Sun-YatSen). It is about 15 mins from down town. Ie no further than ZuoYing (TsoYing). It is not so easy to find a place to live in this area though now.

That looks really much nicer than I had imagined. Thanks for the photo.
Forumosan avatar
Tazzie

2 Recommends(s)
1 Recognized(s)

Postby dan2006 » 13 Jul 2010, 19:25

I used to live in Gushan district, just near sun yet san university. It is quite nice with the mountain in full view, but the area is older and not so nice looking, but on the flip side the rent is dirt cheap and it is quiet.

Also, there is a art gallery in zuoying that has a lot of new condos that they are having trouble selling where you could try to find a rental. It is not so far away from things, but it is a lot quieter if you like your peace and quiet. (I think it is Jiouru 1st Rd)

As far as beaches, you are not far from Kending when you are in K-town, so its all good.
Forumosan avatar
dan2006
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)

55 Recommends(s)
70 Recognized(s)

Next

Return to Living in Taiwan