Advantages of being an ABC in taiwan

Moderator: 914

Forum rules
Welcome to the Overseas Taiwanese Subforum. We hope this is a place where you can post your cross-cultural, east meets west upbringing, Tiger Mama/Dragon Baba issues. We understand that you look full on local on the outside, but have issues that pertain to growing up in a non-Taiwanese, non-Chinese environment. Confucian obligations and expectations probably apply to you, familial pressure to conform to traditions, etc. We know the drill. So come on in, get some things off your chest, and hopefully you will gain perspective from others who have been there and are going through the same. For other questions and discussions (in particular legal, passport and residency issues,) please continue to post in the relevant forums. Let's keep this for culturally sensitive topics. Thank you very much, and happy posting.

Re: Advantages of being an ABC in taiwan

Postby ksidnas » 13 Jul 2012, 16:59

Amasashi wrote:
The trick to being successful as an ABC in Taiwan is to stop competing as a foreigner, because Taiwanese people will never fully accept you as a foreigner and will just see you as a fake. Instead, market yourself as a Taiwanese person with Western abilities just as good as a foreigner's. That's how you become the "best of both worlds".

I'm not saying I agree with this; I'm just explaining how it is.

It has been 3 years since I've moved back to Taiwan. I've always had a hard time with the people, culture, and the working environment. Upon reading your post, I have had one of those "AHA!" moments. I guess I finally get it. Thanks Amasashi.
ksidnas
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)

3 Recognized(s)

Postby ztephen » 14 Jul 2012, 04:46

Why are people mentioning conscription? When I mean ABC, I mean American Born Chinese. So unless he renounced his U.S. citizenship, he doesn't have an ROC passport. Unless there's some strange conscription law where anyone with slanted eyes gets drafted just as long as they live on the island, conscription shouldn't be a concern to 99.9% of ABCs. So one of the advantages of being an ABC is that you can be an ethnically Taiwanese male and not have to serve in the military.

Unless you guys are mentioning the "fake-ABCs," which I find quite disgusting and I wonder who would be dumb enough to fall for that sham. Having met a few fake ABCs last summer, in tw, I guessed there would be some sort of noticeable advantage at at least in the English teaching world and nightclubs.
ztephen
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby ceevee369 » 14 Jul 2012, 08:25

:thumbsup: for Amasashi

I just need to copy/paste the above and show my highly qualified ABC colleague who has trouble fitting in after coming back from the US.
As a white foreigner with increased assimilation as married to a local, I stand perplex when my ABC colleague asking me if I always understand what our TW colleagues mean/ want " as they seem so indirect"

There must be many more disadvantages and the above post that " some positions are only for ABC"s should need further elaboration as answers. I could use it for my work as research.
Forumosan avatar
ceevee369
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)

47 Recommends(s)
27 Recognized(s)

Postby tommy525 » 14 Jul 2012, 12:40

ABC = yellow on the outside, white on the inside. Lot of truth there to that old saw.
CATS ROCK !
Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

523 Recommends(s)
338 Recognized(s)

Postby tomthorne » 14 Jul 2012, 12:42

tommy525 wrote:ABC = yellow on the outside, white on the inside. Lot of truth there to that old saw.

That's racist :no-no:
tomthorne
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)

217 Recommends(s)
179 Recognized(s)

Postby tommy525 » 14 Jul 2012, 12:47

tomthorne wrote:
tommy525 wrote:ABC = yellow on the outside, white on the inside. Lot of truth there to that old saw.

Its not racist its what a lot of ABC say bout themselves. That they are bananas. yellow on the outside but inside white. They look Asian but they are really just Americans. SO on the outside they look yellow (han) but inside they are just regular Americans.

So they get a treatment that is not entirely equal to being white in Taiwan. But they get advantages too.

I was discussing with a white American good bud of mine last night. Hes had an Asian (actually abc) lady friend for nearly 30 years. And he was saying that he felt that chinese do not ever really accept you unless you are chinese. And I was saying thats probably true. But being half chinese (taiwanese) myself, im accepted into the "inner circle" so to speak. So one almost has to be at least half chinese to be accepted totally. So ABC get this acceptance. But on the other hand some get passed over for white people if they want to teach english and the school wants a lot of white people around. When many aBC speak better english then the average white person even.
CATS ROCK !

This post was recommended by Icon (10 Aug 2012, 09:36)
Rating: 5.88%
Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

523 Recommends(s)
338 Recognized(s)

Postby tomthorne » 14 Jul 2012, 13:02

tommy525 wrote:
tomthorne wrote:

Its not racist its what a lot of ABC say bout themselves. That they are bananas. yellow on the outside but inside white. They look Asian but they are really just Americans. SO on the outside they look yellow (han) but inside they are just regular Americans.

I was taking the piss, tommy. It's technically incorrect, anyway. Varying shades from white to brown, with a predominance of beige, is how I'd describe ABCs. Can't say I've ever seen a yellow one, unless they are suffering from liver failure or diabetes from sitting in front of their computers too long grazing on junk food.
tomthorne

217 Recommends(s)
179 Recognized(s)

Postby Taiwan Luthiers » 14 Jul 2012, 13:20

Well being an ABC in Taiwan (the definition varies, in the US its any Chinese born in the US but in Taiwan this term also applies to anyone who spent most of their childhood abroad so acts different from locals) does have some advantage, like not being ripped off for being white, being able to haggle with market stands, etc. but the flip side is some "ABC" might not like it here...

However there seem to be a mass immigration of ABC's lately... for some reason they are leaving America in droves. The advantage there is that usually there are little to no immigration issue except for military conscription. One of my customer is an ABC and or some reason he wants Taiwanese citizenship even though he doesn't really need one.
Cat-gut strings are made from kitten guts, stretched out to near breaking point and then hardened with grue saliva. As a result these give a feeling of Pain and anguish whenever played, and often end up playing themselves backwards as part of satanic rituals.

Typhoon Guitars
http://www.typhoonguitars.com
Taiwan Luthiers

1 Recommends(s)
80 Recognized(s)

Postby tomthorne » 14 Jul 2012, 13:23

Taiwan Luthiers wrote:
However there seem to be a mass immigration of ABC's lately... for some reason they are leaving America in droves.

They aren't alone. Foreigners here are multiplying like lemmings. I'm hoping to not follow them over the ledge.
tomthorne

217 Recommends(s)
179 Recognized(s)

Postby Taiwan Luthiers » 14 Jul 2012, 13:27

tomthorne wrote:
Taiwan Luthiers wrote:
However there seem to be a mass immigration of ABC's lately... for some reason they are leaving America in droves.

They aren't alone. Foreigners here are multiplying like lemmings. I'm hoping to not follow them over the ledge.

I've noticed that too, maybe not as many foreigners in Taiwan compared to say HK, Thailand, or China but I definitely notice a sharp increase from 2008 and onward. Before then seeing a foreigner is a sight and now there are so many that I don't even hear kids scream "waiguoren!" anymore. Might have to do with the financial crash... probably people are starting to have this "Asian dream" thing...
Cat-gut strings are made from kitten guts, stretched out to near breaking point and then hardened with grue saliva. As a result these give a feeling of Pain and anguish whenever played, and often end up playing themselves backwards as part of satanic rituals.

Typhoon Guitars
http://www.typhoonguitars.com
Taiwan Luthiers

1 Recommends(s)
80 Recognized(s)

PreviousNext

x

Return to Overseas Taiwanese