Receipt and Taiwan Lottery

Moderators: Tempo Gain, TheGingerMan

Forum rules
We hope that the Living in Taiwan forum will be of value to you and others. To ensure this, please note:

It is best to capitalize topics and to avoid vague titles. “Hi, I’m new” and “Help please” are examples of bad titles.

Before posting, please check the FAQ thread, and – more importantly – use the search function to ensure that your topic has not been discussed before and that there is not an existing thread you could update with your contribution.

While Living in Taiwan is a busy, wide-ranging forum, there are other specific forums for relationships, teaching, business, legal issues, animals, food, events, travel, restaurants, and so on. Check the Forumosa menu to find the most appropriate place for your post.

While it is preferable to post questions dealing with dissimilar topics in separate threads (“How Much for an Apartment in Tianmu?”, “Are There Many Foreigners in Tianmu?”), if you are a new arrival, it is possible to present numerous questions in one post, but realize that your thread will then, after two weeks, be merged into the New to Taiwan: Some Questions thread.

Re: Receipt Lottery Winning Numbers

Postby Dr. McCoy » 01 Mar 2010, 22:50

If you get 100 reciepts then you have a one in a million chance of winning 2 million NT dollars.
Forumosan avatar
Dr. McCoy
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

146 Recommends(s)
94 Recognized(s)

Postby Dial » 02 Mar 2010, 13:09

Dragonbones wrote:
Dial wrote:Can someone clarify the higher end prizes for me. All I ever see listed is the smaller amounts, followed by 10,000, 40,000, 200,000. Yet I constantly see '2 million' being referred to. Is that just americanese for 200,000, or is there really a 2,000,000 prize?

And if so, what do you need to win it?

NT$2 million for matching all the digits from the above grand prize winning number.
Source: http://english.etax.nat.gov.tw/wSite/ct ... Node=11647 (Courtesy of Google: "Taiwan receipt lottery website")

Thanks Dragonbones.
Dial
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)

1 Recommends(s)
1 Recognized(s)

Postby Dial » 02 Mar 2010, 13:22

Dude, say whuh? I thought it was the British who like to say "thousand million" for billion... actually, the first time I heard thousand billion was from a Clinton-hater on the radio in the US back in the 90's, and I thought he had made that up just to avoid saying "bill"ion.

Three years, one 200NT win, and I pick them off of other people's tables at restaurants if the opportunity presents itself.

'Say whuh?" back at ya. :wink: 200,000 = Two hundred thousand. And 2000,000 means 2 million.
I think you might be adding a few zeros there...

If you get 100 reciepts then you have a one in a million chance of winning 2 million NT dollars.

Considerably better odds than no chance in a million. :cool:
Dial

1 Recommends(s)
1 Recognized(s)

Postby TwoTongues » 02 Mar 2010, 13:28

Dial wrote:'Say whuh?" back at ya. :wink: 200,000 = Two hundred thousand. And 2000,000 means 2 million.
I think you might be adding a few zeros there...

No no no (a la Winehouse, head shaking like a bobblehead) - I'm saying where you getting the "2 million" being Americanese for 200,000 - the billion thing was a side note. I never heard of someone saying we merkins use 2 million for 200k. Not like "aluminum" vs "aluminium"...
"Fortunately, I'm adhering to a pretty strict, uh, drug, uh, regimen to keep my mind, you know, uh, limber." - The Dude
Forumosan avatar
TwoTongues
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)

2 Recognized(s)

Postby Dr. McCoy » 02 Mar 2010, 13:29

Dial wrote:

Statistically, one chance in a million is pretty much the same as no chance in a million. How close to zero do you need to go to consider it zero?
Forumosan avatar
Dr. McCoy
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

146 Recommends(s)
94 Recognized(s)

Postby tommy525 » 02 Mar 2010, 14:10

Dr. McCoy wrote:
Dial wrote:

Statistically, one chance in a million is pretty much the same as no chance in a million. How close to zero do you need to go to consider it zero?

Well TAipei city has bout 5 million people and one a day die on a motorcycle. Thats one chance in five million. Not significant for the other 4,999,999 persons but pretty significant for that ONE.

The lotto is the same.
Savage - what a nice performance

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMCMjEb68ds
Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

526 Recommends(s)
338 Recognized(s)

Postby Dial » 02 Mar 2010, 14:15

No no no (a la Winehouse, head shaking like a bobblehead) - I'm saying where you getting the "2 million" being Americanese for 200,000 - the billion thing was a side note. I never heard of someone saying we merkins use 2 million for 200k. Not like "aluminum" vs "aluminium"...

I stand corrected. Once again confused on the internet. But since we're on the topic I found this in my search for evidence.

A million seconds is 12 days.
 A billion seconds is 31 years. 
A trillion seconds is 31,688 years.

et pur si muove... aka - long as the odds are, people win, yes? Why not you or me Dr McCoy?
Dial

1 Recommends(s)
1 Recognized(s)

Postby Dial » 02 Mar 2010, 14:16

tommy525 wrote:
Dr. McCoy wrote:
Dial wrote:

Well TAipei city has bout 5 million people and one a day die on a motorcycle. Thats one chance in five million. Not significant for the other 4,999,999 persons but pretty significant for that ONE.

The lotto is the same.

What he said.
Dial

1 Recommends(s)
1 Recognized(s)

Postby zacha » 02 Mar 2010, 14:57

TwoTongues, Totally offtopic. But how come you have EXACTLY the same avatar as Jason West has on facebook? http://kotaku.com/5483348/report-strang ... ent-ousted

Anyway. Thanks for the heads up, need to go and check my numbers now =P
zacha
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

Postby Dr. McCoy » 02 Mar 2010, 15:05

Dial wrote:et pur si muove... aka - long as the odds are, people win, yes? Why not you or me Dr McCoy?

I check mine since it's free. With odds of one in a million every two months I figure I should win about once every 166,666.7 years. And then I'll pay off my credit card balance.
Forumosan avatar
Dr. McCoy
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

146 Recommends(s)
94 Recognized(s)

PreviousNext

Return to Living in Taiwan