What to Bring/pack for Taiwan?

Moderators: Tempo Gain, TheGingerMan

Forum rules
We hope that the Living in Taiwan forum will be of value to you and others. To ensure this, please note:

It is best to capitalize topics and to avoid vague titles. “Hi, I’m new” and “Help please” are examples of bad titles.

Before posting, please check the FAQ thread, and – more importantly – use the search function to ensure that your topic has not been discussed before and that there is not an existing thread you could update with your contribution.

While Living in Taiwan is a busy, wide-ranging forum, there are other specific forums for relationships, teaching, business, legal issues, animals, food, events, travel, restaurants, and so on. Check the Forumosa menu to find the most appropriate place for your post.

While it is preferable to post questions dealing with dissimilar topics in separate threads (“How Much for an Apartment in Tianmu?”, “Are There Many Foreigners in Tianmu?”), if you are a new arrival, it is possible to present numerous questions in one post, but realize that your thread will then, after two weeks, be merged into the New to Taiwan: Some Questions thread.

anything to bring?

Postby deano606 » 28 Jul 2002, 21:30

I'm a British student who is on his way to Taipei in September to study Mandarin. Just thinking ahead, is there anything that I should bring with me that I can't get in Taipei. (i.e Vimto and hob nobs)
deano606

ORIGINAL POSTER

anything to bring?

Postby *monkey* » 28 Jul 2002, 22:35

I would highly recommend you bring a year's supply of Vimto and Hob Nobs -- everybody else does who comes out here. When packing, remember, you can buy clothes here, but not Vimto and Hob Nobs. So pack wisely.
Forumosan avatar
*monkey*
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)

4 Recommends(s)
52 Recognized(s)

anything to bring?

Postby Lord Lucan » 28 Jul 2002, 23:57

Bring a cotton sheet.
Forumosan avatar
Lord Lucan
Almost a God (jīhū shì shén)
Almost a God (jīhū shì shén)

4 Recommends(s)
4 Recognized(s)

anything to bring?

Postby Alien » 29 Jul 2002, 00:22

You can get Hob Nobs here,
but not the chocolate kind.
Alien
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)

1 Recognized(s)

anything to bring?

Postby amos » 29 Jul 2002, 00:38

It's very hard to find British women here. If you got room, bring a couple. Only good ones though. [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img]
Forumosan avatar
amos
Immune to Breathalizers (jiǔ cèce bù chūlái)

anything to bring?

Postby wolf_reinhold » 29 Jul 2002, 06:46

It's hard to find a chainsaw here; and baby, I really misss mine.... [img]images/smiles/icon_cool.gif[/img]

This post was recommended by chelseakao (03 Apr 2012, 14:12)
Rating: 5.88%
Forumosan avatar
wolf_reinhold
"Drinks for the House!"

2 Recognized(s)

anything to bring?

Postby nemesis » 29 Jul 2002, 08:03

After consultation with the boyfriend: If you're bigger, lots of good socks and underwear (socks are optional if you won't wear socks), a good pair of sandals or two, some shorts that fit properly. A few good books to tide you over until you get to a good bookstore. Some "home food" to be eaten on emergency days only.

That's about it, I think. Just a note for girls coming here: Bring MANY bras and panties, cuz the quality here sucks! (unless you're into baby blue lace padded bras in the middle of summer!). Also, good women's clothing is harder to find due to differing tastes. If sequins, velvet and colour-blindness don't bother you, by all means shop here. Also, if you're more than about a 10, you may have trouble finding stuff, so stock up at home.
Forumosan avatar
nemesis
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)

11 Recommends(s)
4 Recognized(s)

anything to bring?

Postby amos » 29 Jul 2002, 13:41

Don't bring footy socks or a beanie. I'd agree with the sandals though. If I was a Pom, I'd bring a pair of Doc sandals, and some dvd's from their glory says of sport circa 1920's. [img]images/smiles/icon_razz.gif[/img]
Forumosan avatar
amos

anything to bring?

Postby *monkey* » 29 Jul 2002, 14:14

Bring your mom too, as moms are always useful for ironing shirts / cooking dinner / reminding you when to send birthday cards.
Forumosan avatar
*monkey*

4 Recommends(s)
52 Recognized(s)

anything to bring?

Postby Alien » 29 Jul 2002, 14:32

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, Geneva">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by *monkey*:
<strong>Bring your mom too.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Don't you mean 'mum'?
Alien

1 Recognized(s)

Next

x

Return to Living in Taiwan