Sanctuary being torn down. We need your help!!! - click here for details
You can also visit TheSanctuaryTaiwan.org - click here to go to their contact page

What to Bring/pack for Taiwan?

Moderators: Tempo Gain, TheGingerMan

Forum rules
We hope that the Living in Taiwan forum will be of value to you and others. To ensure this, please note:

It is best to capitalize topics and to avoid vague titles. “Hi, I’m new” and “Help please” are examples of bad titles.

Before posting, please check the FAQ thread, and – more importantly – use the search function to ensure that your topic has not been discussed before and that there is not an existing thread you could update with your contribution.

While Living in Taiwan is a busy, wide-ranging forum, there are other specific forums for relationships, teaching, business, legal issues, animals, food, events, travel, restaurants, and so on. Check the Forumosa menu to find the most appropriate place for your post.

While it is preferable to post questions dealing with dissimilar topics in separate threads (“How Much for an Apartment in Tianmu?”, “Are There Many Foreigners in Tianmu?”), if you are a new arrival, it is possible to present numerous questions in one post, but realize that your thread will then, after two weeks, be merged into the New to Taiwan: Some Questions thread.

Re: What should I not forget to pack for Taiwan

Postby MJB » 14 Jan 2009, 23:56

If you are a man and over a size 11.5 for shoes I'd bring as many pairs as you can carry...Ditto if you are a woman who wears a size 9 or above.
Nemo enim fere saltat sobrius, nisi forte insanit
MJB
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)

6 Recognized(s)

Postby Sleepyhead » 15 Jan 2009, 03:22

Buttercup wrote:
Oh, to the OP, absolutely definitely do not even consider bringing illicit drugs in. The penalty is death. Just so you know.

Hmm, I'm sure the OP is now thinking, 'Hmm, better take that kilo of coke out of my bag now: I might DIE!'.

I had the misfortune of working with a hardcore fundy christian while I was in Korea whose "logic" (he is a creationist, so that should tell you his level of "logic") was, "I'm a Canadian, so I can smoke pot in while I'm in Korea."

I shit you not. The moron actually rationalized it that way, that drug laws only applied to Korean citizens.
Me and some friends who / We been buddies since Boca Raton
Signed on a ship to /
Take a trip to old Taiwan
Got as far as Siam / Took it on the lam
Arrived in Hong Kong with all our money gone
We joined up with a a gang then
We found we couldn't go home

We still remain here / Where we don't belong
That's what they call us / Cowboys In Hong Kong
Forumosan avatar
Sleepyhead
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

1 Recognized(s)

Postby bismarck » 15 Jan 2009, 03:27

british_desi wrote:
citizen k wrote:Decent deodorant. Hard to find in TW. I always stock up when abroad.

And 7-eleven or some variety thereof (Hi-Life, Family Mart) are everywhere here. You can't walk more than a few steps without seeing one!

Welcome to f.com

hahahah thanks matey. I actually was going to get that from there.

Do you enjoy living in Taiwan?

Especially the under-arm variety.

Edit: Actually scratch that. You can even find that easily enough at Carrefour. Mulling it over and browsing through this thread has led me to conclude:
a. I've been here too long,
because,
b. I think that besides the female underwear and hygiene products Buttercup described you can find almost anything on this island. Even boerewors and biltong.
World Champions 1995, 2007; Tri-Nations champions 1998, 2004, 2009; Grand Slam Champions 1912/13, 1931/32, 1951/52, 1960/61; Defeated British & Irish Lions 1903, 1924, 1938, 1962, 1968, 1980, 2009
Super 14 Champions 2007, 2009, 2010
Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy and the lash.
Sir Winston Churchill

Second of all, as in all honeymoons, all is well until it is not. It is until the unexpected happens that you will see all grievances surface -ask anyone in any relationship. The girl can chew with her mouth open, that if you love her, you do not care. If you do not lover her, if her pinkie toe is half an inch deviant, the relationship is doomed. - Icon
Forumosan avatar
bismarck
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

150 Recommends(s)
142 Recognized(s)

Postby anglophonus » 15 Jan 2009, 04:24

I've just spent the last year and a half in Albania. Trust me, finding things in Taipei is easy.
anglophonus
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)

Postby housecat » 15 Jan 2009, 04:34

I know the boys might enjoy this post, but I'd take over the counter yeast infection medicine. You can't get anything (for a yeast infection) OTC in Taiwan. Of course, there's always the plain yogurt method, but it's messy. I'd never had a yeast infection until I moved to Taiwan. Trust me, if the dr and his nurse think you can't understand, they don't care a whit about confidentiality. Better to be able to try to fix the problem yourself first.

McCormic Ranch dressing mix is available at Costco, but Hidden Valley is un-heard of there.

Other than that, or maybe a Mr. Pibb, I think you could get nearly everything you could think of in Taipei.
Forumosan avatar
housecat
Almost a God (jīhū shì shén)

96 Recommends(s)
115 Recognized(s)

Postby anglophonus » 15 Jan 2009, 04:43

housecat wrote:I know the boys might enjoy this post, but I'd take over the counter yeast infection medicine. You can't get anything (for a yeast infection) OTC in Taiwan. Of course, there's always the plain yogurt method, but it's messy. I'd never had a yeast infection until I moved to Taiwan. Trust me, if the dr and his nurse think you can't understand, they don't care a whit about confidentiality. Better to be able to try to fix the problem yourself first.

McCormic Ranch dressing mix is available at Costco, but Hidden Valley is un-heard of there.

Other than that, or maybe a Mr. Pibb, I think you could get nearly everything you could think of in Taipei.

McCormick ranch dressing for a yeast infection?!? Hidden Valley, I can understand....
anglophonus

Postby Buttercup » 15 Jan 2009, 04:45

YOU USE RANCH DRESSING? But they sell Canestan cream over the counter!
'Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof'

Before you lovingly craft your PM, make like any writer and consider your audience. With all the information at your disposal, is there any possibility that the recipient will open it? Would your time be better employed?
Buttercup
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

8 Recognized(s)

Postby british_desi » 15 Jan 2009, 04:47

I just want to thank everyone who has posted! I really do appreciate it and am repacking as we type. I booked a return for mid March so that'll give me enough time to realise what I need when there. But all your lists have v helpful and put things into perspective me, once again thanks I appreciate it :)

I'm a lil worried about the bread there though. Do the high end supermarkets not stock regular whole wheat bread? If not I'm going to try to sneak some loafs in :loco: .

There have been some interesting wants/needs mentioned I doub't I'll be needing them though. To each their own hey.

I need this cough to go before I'm in Taiwan!!! Cough cough time to eat a normal meal while I can.

Thanks again peeps
I am The Highway
Forumosan avatar
british_desi
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

1 Recognized(s)

Postby housecat » 15 Jan 2009, 04:50

anglophonus wrote:
housecat wrote:I know the boys might enjoy this post, but I'd take over the counter yeast infection medicine. You can't get anything (for a yeast infection) OTC in Taiwan. Of course, there's always the plain yogurt method, but it's messy. I'd never had a yeast infection until I moved to Taiwan. Trust me, if the dr and his nurse think you can't understand, they don't care a whit about confidentiality. Better to be able to try to fix the problem yourself first.

McCormick ranch dressing for a yeast infection?!? Hidden Valley, I can understand....

Ha ha ha. Silly boy (or girl). I do admit to the non-sequitur feel, there, and to the funny-ness of the pun, but I meant it as a list. But of course, you knew that.

And while I was an almost terminal "user" of ranch dressing at one point in my life (actually, until I went to Taiwan and Hidden valley was no longer available), I never used it for THAT!
Forumosan avatar
housecat

96 Recommends(s)
115 Recognized(s)

Postby bismarck » 15 Jan 2009, 05:01

british_desi wrote:I'm a lil worried about the bread there though. Do the high end supermarkets not stock regular whole wheat bread? If not I'm going to try to sneak some loafs in :loco: .

Bread is plentiful...unfortunately, so is the sugar content...
World Champions 1995, 2007; Tri-Nations champions 1998, 2004, 2009; Grand Slam Champions 1912/13, 1931/32, 1951/52, 1960/61; Defeated British & Irish Lions 1903, 1924, 1938, 1962, 1968, 1980, 2009
Super 14 Champions 2007, 2009, 2010
Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy and the lash.
Sir Winston Churchill

Second of all, as in all honeymoons, all is well until it is not. It is until the unexpected happens that you will see all grievances surface -ask anyone in any relationship. The girl can chew with her mouth open, that if you love her, you do not care. If you do not lover her, if her pinkie toe is half an inch deviant, the relationship is doomed. - Icon
Forumosan avatar
bismarck
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

150 Recommends(s)
142 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Living in Taiwan