Sanctuary being torn down. We need your help!!! - click here for details
You can also visit TheSanctuaryTaiwan.org - click here to go to their contact page

A Drought -- you've got to be friggin' kidding me.

Moderators: Tempo Gain, TheGingerMan

Forum rules
We hope that the Living in Taiwan forum will be of value to you and others. To ensure this, please note:

It is best to capitalize topics and to avoid vague titles. “Hi, I’m new” and “Help please” are examples of bad titles.

Before posting, please check the FAQ thread, and – more importantly – use the search function to ensure that your topic has not been discussed before and that there is not an existing thread you could update with your contribution.

While Living in Taiwan is a busy, wide-ranging forum, there are other specific forums for relationships, teaching, business, legal issues, animals, food, events, travel, restaurants, and so on. Check the Forumosa menu to find the most appropriate place for your post.

While it is preferable to post questions dealing with dissimilar topics in separate threads (“How Much for an Apartment in Tianmu?”, “Are There Many Foreigners in Tianmu?”), if you are a new arrival, it is possible to present numerous questions in one post, but realize that your thread will then, after two weeks, be merged into the New to Taiwan: Some Questions thread.

Re: A Drought -- you've got to be friggin' kidding me.

Postby Fox » 20 May 2011, 11:21

kelake wrote:That 2 million nt figure must be way off. They have been improving the water infrastructure in Xinzhu (Hsinchu) on a massive scale for years now. You can't drive without seeing them digging up some road and installing new pipes or drainage systems. Most of the water waste I see here comes from slipshod construction type businesses and not from small scale farmers or large factories.


Yes it was very wrong. It has been to date 5.5 billion in spending from a 27 billion budget. The majority of the spending has been to repair damage caused by typhoons to reservoirs. (China Post and Taiwan Review).

What are you talking about? We've already shown that a 3 year multi-billion dollar repair program is well underweigh. Combine that with dredging and the building of two new dams and you can hardly say that nothing is being done. If it wasn't for inter-party wrangling this would have started years ago.

Collossal scale? That's the bullshit. This is a relatively minor and manageble problem.


It only started a few years ago. That would be sandman's point wouldn't it and the inter-party wrangling. There is plenty of rain and no drought as the CWB figures show. What there is are many reservoirs that are unusable (due to pollution and toxic algae blooms), major reservoirs that drain after only four months of below average but high rain-fall (conditions ideal for capturing rainwater supposedly). Half your reservoirs being polluted and unusable would be a collossal scale:

More than 40% of reservoirs in Taiwan are
eutrophicated due to pollutant discharge from
various sources [1]. The excessive loadings of
nutrients (i.e., nitrogen and phosphorus) released
into the reservoir from forests, agricultural activities
such as orchards, tea plantations, betel nut
plantations and livestock farms, as well as
household wastewater from urban areas have created
considerable problems. Consequently, fishes and
other aquatic animals may not survive due to
dissolved oxygen deficiency, and water treatment
plants may not operate efficiently.

International Conference on Energy, Environment, Ecosystems and Sustainable Development (2008)
"When liberty comes with hands dabbled in blood it is hard to shake hands with her." Wilde

"I don't know where the sun beams end and the star light begins. It's all a mystery." Flaming Lips

"a man's position here is not ruled so much by what he can earn as by what he can owe and still remain at large." Letters of a Shanghai Griffin

"It's called the American dream because you have to be asleep to believe it." George Carlin

The American oligarchy spares no pains in promoting the belief that it does not exist, but the success of its disappearing act depends on equally strenuous efforts on the part of an American public anxious to believe in egalitarian fictions and unwilling to see what is hidden in plain sight.
redbubble
http://www.planetediting.com
Forumosan avatar
Fox
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)
 
Posts: 5565
ORIGINAL POSTER
Joined: 11 Jun 2002, 16:01
Location: Taipei
61 Recommends(s)
80 Recognized(s)



Re: A Drought -- you've got to be friggin' kidding me.

Postby Mucha Man » 20 May 2011, 11:27

if a man searches hard enough....
“Everywhere else in the world is also really old” said Prof. Liu, a renowned historian at Beijing University. “We always learn that China has 5000 years of cultural heritage, and that therefore we are very special. It appears that other places also have some of this heritage stuff. And are also old. Like, really old.”

http://hikingintaiwan.blogspot.com/
Forumosan avatar
Mucha Man
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)
 
Posts: 18501
Joined: 01 Nov 2001, 17:01
Location: Mucha, of course
769 Recognized(s)



Re: A Drought -- you've got to be friggin' kidding me.

Postby Fox » 20 May 2011, 12:12

Muzha Man wrote:if a man searches hard enough....


You ought to try it. The figures show no drought and a history of mismanagement that to the credit of some is being addressed.
"When liberty comes with hands dabbled in blood it is hard to shake hands with her." Wilde

"I don't know where the sun beams end and the star light begins. It's all a mystery." Flaming Lips

"a man's position here is not ruled so much by what he can earn as by what he can owe and still remain at large." Letters of a Shanghai Griffin

"It's called the American dream because you have to be asleep to believe it." George Carlin

The American oligarchy spares no pains in promoting the belief that it does not exist, but the success of its disappearing act depends on equally strenuous efforts on the part of an American public anxious to believe in egalitarian fictions and unwilling to see what is hidden in plain sight.
redbubble
http://www.planetediting.com
Forumosan avatar
Fox
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)
 
Posts: 5565
ORIGINAL POSTER
Joined: 11 Jun 2002, 16:01
Location: Taipei
61 Recommends(s)
80 Recognized(s)



Re: A Drought -- you've got to be friggin' kidding me.

Postby Mucha Man » 20 May 2011, 12:36

Fox wrote:
Muzha Man wrote:if a man searches hard enough....


You ought to try it.


While I agree that yes, fox, you have a lot to teach me about looking for facts to justify perceptions, and that no one shifts goalposts like you, I must say that I have little interest in such skills.

Thanks for sharing though. :thumbsup:
“Everywhere else in the world is also really old” said Prof. Liu, a renowned historian at Beijing University. “We always learn that China has 5000 years of cultural heritage, and that therefore we are very special. It appears that other places also have some of this heritage stuff. And are also old. Like, really old.”

http://hikingintaiwan.blogspot.com/
Forumosan avatar
Mucha Man
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)
 
Posts: 18501
Joined: 01 Nov 2001, 17:01
Location: Mucha, of course
769 Recognized(s)



Re: A Drought -- you've got to be friggin' kidding me.

Postby Fox » 20 May 2011, 15:33

Muzha Man wrote:
Fox wrote:
Muzha Man wrote:if a man searches hard enough....


You ought to try it.


While I agree that yes, fox, you have a lot to teach me about looking for facts to justify perceptions, and that no one shifts goalposts like you, I must say that I have little interest in such skills.

Thanks for sharing though. :thumbsup:


Shift the goal posts. What are you talking about? I claimed the drought is not really a drought and it isn't. It just isn't. It is some places with low rainfall recently (last few months). The total number of rainy days in Taipei has been 40% above normal in the last year. It might not be the longest rainy spell in history in Taipei, but I'm willing to bet it is close. About 50% of the reservoirs show gross mismanagement because they are now too polluted for drinking water use. Many of the others are silted up. Water leakage is great and a big problem and remains unresolved although it has been a well acknowledged problem for many years.

You claim that there is a drought, but the facts don't bear it out. You also claim that the water resources are well managed and past efforts to manage them are laudable, but the very fact that 27 billion dollars has only recently been assigned to that task is indicative of previous failures. You think people who have lived in Taiwan for many years are not entitled to criticize what we have experienced. You grow tired of the veiled criticism. Yet if I asked three Taiwanese this week and they said I don't like winter because it's cold and wet, I don't like summer because it's too hot, and I don't like spring because it rains a lot. Would you also consider that veiled criticism? I'd call it blatant criticism of the weather. That's allowable, right?



Can you explain why water management in a place that gets so much rain is laudable when we run out of water every few years?
"When liberty comes with hands dabbled in blood it is hard to shake hands with her." Wilde

"I don't know where the sun beams end and the star light begins. It's all a mystery." Flaming Lips

"a man's position here is not ruled so much by what he can earn as by what he can owe and still remain at large." Letters of a Shanghai Griffin

"It's called the American dream because you have to be asleep to believe it." George Carlin

The American oligarchy spares no pains in promoting the belief that it does not exist, but the success of its disappearing act depends on equally strenuous efforts on the part of an American public anxious to believe in egalitarian fictions and unwilling to see what is hidden in plain sight.
redbubble
http://www.planetediting.com
Forumosan avatar
Fox
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)
 
Posts: 5565
ORIGINAL POSTER
Joined: 11 Jun 2002, 16:01
Location: Taipei
61 Recommends(s)
80 Recognized(s)



Re: A Drought -- you've got to be friggin' kidding me.

Postby Fox » 06 Jun 2011, 21:58

I was doing an article the other day about the use of chemical fertilizers by Taiwanese farmers. Since 1990 the improvement in yield from using fertilizers in rice production has been negative. Taiwan, however, has some of the highest rates of fertilizer subsidies in the world 70% of fertilizer costs plus the cost of freight. Wouldn't this overly wasteful non-productive use of fertilizers be eligible for monumental fuck-up status considering half the island reservoirs are polluted by too much fertilizer. I'm sure it is just a siphon up scheme of tax-payer dollars into some fertilizer company or their suppliers.
"When liberty comes with hands dabbled in blood it is hard to shake hands with her." Wilde

"I don't know where the sun beams end and the star light begins. It's all a mystery." Flaming Lips

"a man's position here is not ruled so much by what he can earn as by what he can owe and still remain at large." Letters of a Shanghai Griffin

"It's called the American dream because you have to be asleep to believe it." George Carlin

The American oligarchy spares no pains in promoting the belief that it does not exist, but the success of its disappearing act depends on equally strenuous efforts on the part of an American public anxious to believe in egalitarian fictions and unwilling to see what is hidden in plain sight.
redbubble
http://www.planetediting.com
Forumosan avatar
Fox
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)
 
Posts: 5565
ORIGINAL POSTER
Joined: 11 Jun 2002, 16:01
Location: Taipei
61 Recommends(s)
80 Recognized(s)



Re: A Drought -- you've got to be friggin' kidding me.

Postby Belgian Pie » 07 Jun 2011, 00:12

Even Belgium had a drought this year, it just broke ... now I'm going to get me a draught ... with loads of tiny bubbles on top.
Belgian Pie
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)
 
Posts: 10836
Joined: 31 Oct 2004, 19:39
Location: High ground
2 Recommends(s)
75 Recognized(s)



Re: A Drought -- you've got to be friggin' kidding me.

Postby RobinTaiwan » 07 Jun 2011, 01:27

Fox wrote: Taiwan, however, has some of the highest rates of fertilizer subsidies in the world 70% of fertilizer costs plus the cost of freight. Wouldn't this overly wasteful non-productive use of fertilizers be eligible for monumental fuck-up status considering half the island reservoirs are polluted by too much fertilizer.
Do you have any links to back that up?
Spring would be something else if winter was as white as it is made out to be.
Forumosan avatar
RobinTaiwan
Bird Walker (liù niǎo de rén)
 
Posts: 1460
Joined: 01 Dec 2009, 16:12
2 Recommends(s)
21 Recognized(s)



Re: A Drought -- you've got to be friggin' kidding me.

Postby Mucha Man » 07 Jun 2011, 11:14

The good folk up here in Fairbanks, AK, have imformed me that they've been experiencing drought conditions for several years now. When I point out that it's rained every day for the past week, and that the river is flowing rather full, they give me an appropriately pitiful look. :lol:
“Everywhere else in the world is also really old” said Prof. Liu, a renowned historian at Beijing University. “We always learn that China has 5000 years of cultural heritage, and that therefore we are very special. It appears that other places also have some of this heritage stuff. And are also old. Like, really old.”

http://hikingintaiwan.blogspot.com/
Forumosan avatar
Mucha Man
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)
 
Posts: 18501
Joined: 01 Nov 2001, 17:01
Location: Mucha, of course
769 Recognized(s)



Re: A Drought -- you've got to be friggin' kidding me.

Postby Fox » 07 Jun 2011, 11:25

Muzha Man wrote:The good folk up here in Fairbanks, AK, have imformed me that they've been experiencing drought conditions for several years now. When I point out that it's rained every day for the past week, and that the river is flowing rather full, they give me an appropriately pitiful look. :lol:


It's not the same. There is weather and then there is climate. In Taiwan's case, it has a very wet climate, among the wettest in the world. There is plenty of water.
"When liberty comes with hands dabbled in blood it is hard to shake hands with her." Wilde

"I don't know where the sun beams end and the star light begins. It's all a mystery." Flaming Lips

"a man's position here is not ruled so much by what he can earn as by what he can owe and still remain at large." Letters of a Shanghai Griffin

"It's called the American dream because you have to be asleep to believe it." George Carlin

The American oligarchy spares no pains in promoting the belief that it does not exist, but the success of its disappearing act depends on equally strenuous efforts on the part of an American public anxious to believe in egalitarian fictions and unwilling to see what is hidden in plain sight.
redbubble
http://www.planetediting.com
Forumosan avatar
Fox
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)
 
Posts: 5565
ORIGINAL POSTER
Joined: 11 Jun 2002, 16:01
Location: Taipei
61 Recommends(s)
80 Recognized(s)



FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext




Proceed to Living in Taiwan



Who is online

Forumosans browsing this forum: Anubis, Bing [Bot], Matchstick_man, merge, sewersquid, springonion, w124 and 8 visitors

You can also enlarge the entire Web page or document by pressing the Control key as you turn the wheel on top of your mouse. On the Mac, this enlarges the entire screen image.
More tips from David Pogue