Another Western Foreigner Busted for Cannabis

Moderators: Tempo Gain, TheGingerMan

Forum rules
We hope that the Living in Taiwan forum will be of value to you and others. To ensure this, please note:

It is best to capitalize topics and to avoid vague titles. “Hi, I’m new” and “Help please” are examples of bad titles.

Before posting, please check the FAQ thread, and – more importantly – use the search function to ensure that your topic has not been discussed before and that there is not an existing thread you could update with your contribution.

While Living in Taiwan is a busy, wide-ranging forum, there are other specific forums for relationships, teaching, business, legal issues, animals, food, events, travel, restaurants, and so on. Check the Forumosa menu to find the most appropriate place for your post.

While it is preferable to post questions dealing with dissimilar topics in separate threads (“How Much for an Apartment in Tianmu?”, “Are There Many Foreigners in Tianmu?”), if you are a new arrival, it is possible to present numerous questions in one post, but realize that your thread will then, after two weeks, be merged into the New to Taiwan: Some Questions thread.

Re: Another Western foreigner busted for Cannabis

Postby fenlander » 14 Jun 2011, 14:21

RobinTaiwan wrote:Have to agree with HG, here. Unless we get more reliable evidence that he sold dope to his students, all he was caught with is 4 grams of weed. That's just a small personal stash.

400 grams not 4 grams

0.4 kg although it is not clear which part was leaf and what was bud and how much tobacco he had too. But certainly a lot more than 5 grams or is my Chinese reading incorrect?

The reports also say he was teaching his students how to smoke and prepare it for smoking with tobacco.

Again I think that is what it says but Chinese is not my first language.
fenlander
Second Landlord (èr fáng dōng)
Second Landlord (èr fáng dōng)

ORIGINAL POSTER
25 Recommends(s)
22 Recognized(s)

Re: Another Western Foreigner Busted for Cannabis

Postby urodacus » 14 Jun 2011, 15:58

Man, those would have been great lessons.

I wonder who the dirty little rat is. If that comes out in court, and it should, let's send the boys around for a bit of a knees-up.
The prizes are a bottle of f*!@#$% SCOTCH and a box of cheap f!@#$#$ CIGARS!

Too many people! Almost all of the world's problems are due to overpopulation. The rest are due to religion.

50% of the world's wild animals have disappeared in the last 50 years. Did you eat them, or eat their house?
Forumosan avatar
urodacus
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

209 Recommends(s)
266 Recognized(s)

Postby NonTocareLeTete » 14 Jun 2011, 20:35

I can't read the article- does it say whether he was selling to underage students or adults?
I'm going to guess that if they don't say in the article, it was adults, in which case he has my sympathy and I hope they're lenient on him...
I'm sure, for the sake of sensationalism, they would have mentioned if it was kids. but if it was kids :no-no: I wouldn't be nearly as sympathetic.
Forumosan avatar
NonTocareLeTete
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)

163 Recommends(s)
223 Recognized(s)

Postby the bear » 14 Jun 2011, 20:37

Just so we can be clear....according to the article he was caught with 400 grams of hash, 2 big bags of grass and five bags of seeds....don't know what article HGC is reading. :popcorn:
I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific.
Forumosan avatar
the bear
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)

30 Recommends(s)
107 Recognized(s)

Postby Huang Guang Chen » 14 Jun 2011, 21:00

Like I said, a pitiful amount of pot. Depends on your, erhm, yardstick. Certainly not "unconscionable."

HG
I'm a wicked young lady, but I've been trying hard lately. Oh fark it! I'm a monster! I admit it!
Forumosan avatar
Huang Guang Chen
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

15 Recommends(s)
44 Recognized(s)

Re: Another Western foreigner busted for Cannabis

Postby Belgian Pie » 14 Jun 2011, 22:26

fenlander wrote:
RobinTaiwan wrote:Have to agree with HG, here. Unless we get more reliable evidence that he sold dope to his students, all he was caught with is 4 grams of weed. That's just a small personal stash.

400 grams not 4 grams

0.4 kg although it is not clear which part was leaf and what was bud and how much tobacco he had too. But certainly a lot more than 5 grams or is my Chinese reading incorrect?

The reports also say he was teaching his students how to smoke and prepare it for smoking with tobacco.

Again I think that is what it says but Chinese is not my first language.

0.4 kg like metric ... or 0.4 kilo like Taiwan kg ...? It's 20years difference in prison terms ...
Belgian Pie
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

2 Recommends(s)
80 Recognized(s)

Postby Huang Guang Chen » 14 Jun 2011, 22:36

It's all the same to the glee club.

HG
I'm a wicked young lady, but I've been trying hard lately. Oh fark it! I'm a monster! I admit it!
Forumosan avatar
Huang Guang Chen
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

15 Recommends(s)
44 Recognized(s)

Postby Hamletintaiwan » 14 Jun 2011, 23:51

Hope I don't look too heartless but what do you think, how long it is going to take till we can see the "banged/locked up abroad" version of this?
I just love that show.
Forumosan avatar
Hamletintaiwan

7 Recommends(s)
57 Recognized(s)

Postby viba » 08 Aug 2011, 11:34

Sorry to drag this up but I've been out the country for a month and I'm wondering if there is any update on this. I am a friend with one of the others that were ambushed. I did get my wife to call the detention center at the beginning of July and was told that no visotrs were allowed - presumably while they are preparing their case. Also, although I don't smoke (cigarettes or anything else), I'm a little wary about my name going on a list somewhere.

thx
viba
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)

31 Recommends(s)
8 Recognized(s)

Postby Mother Theresa » 08 Aug 2011, 11:54

Damn. How come I only learn of foreigners with large stashes of dope AFTER they get busted? :neutral:
"The internet is a monster over which we have no control. We can’t even turn it off." Jeremy Clarkson

This post was recommended by 2 Forumosans: StuartCa (08 Aug 2011, 11:57), trubadour (27 May 2012, 13:02)
Rating: 8%
Forumosan avatar
Mother Theresa
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

14 Recommends(s)
45 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Living in Taiwan