apt neighbor props fire doors open

Can a foreigner buy...? Can a foreigner rent...? What about deposits? Bad neighbors? Unreasonable landlords? Miscellaneous problems?
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Re: apt neighbor props fire doors open

Postby Eiger John » 16 Nov 2010, 14:06

I thought this is an interesting enough problem with enough universal appeal that I had a Taiwan lawyer colleague look up some more on this issue. Here's what he's come back with:

1. Authority in Charge: The name of the agency in charge of the issue varies in different city or county, such as the "Building Administration Office" in Taipei City and the "Public Works Bureau, House Use Management Section" in Taipei County, but all of them are related to building administration instead of fire department. Note that the fire department will do annual checks for certain buildings or community and will focus more on fire prevention related matters. For cases involving facilities safety, they will only transfer the case to one of the aforementioned building administration agencies, which will send its staff to check and give a notice or even a fine for people violating the laws.

2. The way to report the matter: the various government departments have combined their reporting system, so no matter where he or she is, just simply call 1999 to report the matter. The government will pass the report to the official in charge for action.

Now, one might dance a bit around the idea of one's relationships with the neighbors, but in the end the only way to get them to change their behavior will likely be the threat of a fine.
"Power always thinks it has a great soul and vast views beyond the comprehension of the weak; and that it is doing God's service when it is violating all his laws." - John Quincy Adams

Article on enforcement of foreign court and arbitral decisions into Taiwan: http://goo.gl/hGXGG
Article on Cross-Strait intellectual property basics: http://goo.gl/ub4vA
Eiger John
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)

6 Recognized(s)

Postby shawn_c » 22 Jun 2012, 00:48

I'm digging up an old topic here... but... this is the situation I face right now! My concern, however, is not any dog's barking or noise, but the fire safety aspect.

JimmyTheSaint, what did you end up doing? It's been two years! Come back and tell us!

sulavaca, I totally, totally agree with all you've said. You've got it right. At the same time, I think it also all depends on what "class" of people are your neighbours! Where do you live? Taipei City or New Taipei? There's at least a slight difference in the "quality" of the people...

urodacus, welding the doors shut is a great idea. The people want to die in the even of a fire, anyway, why not hasten that?

So, my wife and I just moved to a 13-storey building in Tamsui, and we live on the 10th floor. I noticed that from floors 2 to 5, all the fire escape doors were propped open (tells you something about the quality of those who choose such low floors...). So, I closed them (as sandman suggested)... and now, they're open again. Douches! If I keep closing them, I'm sure they'll just keep popping open again. However, that is the action I'm currently going to take, as the building management told me "mei ban fa"...

I also went up to the roof and discovered that the doors to the roof were wide open AND someone was growing rice in a big pot in the stairwell leading to the roof. I moved all the bricks that were propping those doors open...

I was seriously thinking of welding, well, at least screwing the doors shut! Or maybe... putting something really disgustingly stinky in the stairwell, in order to "encourage" people to close the fire escape doors. My other thought was... why don't I just open all the tiny windows in the stairwell, including propping open the roof doors, which... would make it like an outside fire escape (like in New York)? Would that work? There is no active smoke venting in the stairwell, anyway.

Has anyone thought of any solutions?! At least, I don't have the problem of piles of garbage in the stairwells like sulavaca...
Looking for a handmade paper wallet? http://sidonieyang.etsy.com
Forumosan avatar
shawn_c
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)

182 Recommends(s)
9 Recognized(s)

Postby Confuzius » 22 Jun 2012, 01:08

I think everytime they are open...just go close them.

Whatever he props them open with...take.

Make it MORE of a headache for him to open them than to keep the closed. Taiwan is a SUPER 方便 (convenience) culture-when something becomes a hassle people throw their arms up in the air and just say "fuck it". Right now, its totally convenient for him to just open the, make it a hassle and he will stop.
"Knowledge alone is transitory, the outcrop subsequent to 'I desire all things'". - A. O. Spare
Confuzius
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)

113 Recommends(s)
76 Recognized(s)

Postby Teddoman » 22 Jun 2012, 04:21

Maybe you should put up a sign on all the doors, though, explaining the fire safety issue. Otherwise, people will just think there's an annoying prick in the building who keeps stealing the door props for no reason.

Maybe you can even make it seem like the sign comes from building management and make it look super official. That would be slightly clever. The management people might even assume it was put up by one of the other managers :)
Teddoman
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

12 Recommends(s)
10 Recognized(s)

Postby Belgian Pie » 22 Jun 2012, 10:33

Our fire doors from basement to 14F are all open, no one, even the fire inspectors seem to have a clue that the doors are actually 'fire doors' ... anyways, every 2 years or so a fire inspector comes along and tapes-off, signs-off on all the fire equipment and before they come, the building management requires all crap in the stairwell to be removed, stuff that later on gradually and magically will reappear ... this year the management has had stuff removed by the security guards, probably things 'forgotten' by people that moved out ... i got myself a nice 46 l Igloo ice box that was left out that no one claimed ... :D
Belgian Pie
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

2 Recommends(s)
80 Recognized(s)

Postby shawn_c » 25 Jun 2012, 04:16

All the doors have those hydraulic arms on them that force them shut... but also have the added convenience of keeping the doors open when swung open wide enough. The arm also serves as a convenient place to hang your rain coats. I was thinking... if I removed the hydraulic arm, the door would just swing aimlessly... got to see if I can make it so it's super hard to swing open... "inconvenient" to open, if you like!!

There are tiny-ass stickers from the city government saying to keep the doors shut for safety. I think I need to print out photos of people dying from smoke inhalation, and paste them on the fire doors.

The good news is that since I closed the doors on Floor 2 to Floor 5... only the pricks on Floors 2 and 3 bother to open them up again, each and every day. Good news is that there isn't much kept in the stairwells... aside from some shoes.

I really need to leave a rotten sandwich in the stairwell between floors 2 and 3... let them have the aroma and the flies...

I don't get why Taiwan just doesn't build outdoor fire stairs like in New York?! That makes much more sense, and would probably be cheaper, too.
Forumosan avatar
shawn_c

182 Recommends(s)
9 Recognized(s)

Postby shawn_c » 25 Jun 2012, 04:23

Belgian Pie wrote:Our fire doors from basement to 14F are all open, no one, even the fire inspectors seem to have a clue that the doors are actually 'fire doors' ... anyways, every 2 years or so a fire inspector comes along and tapes-off, signs-off on all the fire equipment and before they come, the building management requires all crap in the stairwell to be removed, stuff that later on gradually and magically will reappear ... this year the management has had stuff removed by the security guards, probably things 'forgotten' by people that moved out ... i got myself a nice 46 l Igloo ice box that was left out that no one claimed ... :D

That's Taiwan for ya! The "inspector" notifies you when he's coming to check, so that you can make the appropriate preparations (much like how the police advertise where they are with their lights!) - my English school had a glass room that would not pass fire inspection... so... they just removed it before the inspector came... and put it back later.
Forumosan avatar
shawn_c

182 Recommends(s)
9 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Previous

Proceed to Legal Issues in Real Estate & Housing