land lord dishonest

Can a foreigner buy...? Can a foreigner rent...? What about deposits? Bad neighbors? Unreasonable landlords? Miscellaneous problems?
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

land lord dishonest

Postby sleepingtiger » 27 Jun 2012, 09:31

I just rented a house and signed a 1 year lease. 3 days later, the landlord showed up with
prospective buyers. Isn't the landlord required by law to disclose that the house is on an active market
and is for sale???
sleepingtiger
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

ORIGINAL POSTER
5 Recognized(s)

Re: land lord dishonest

Postby finley » 27 Jun 2012, 11:14

Think you need to change the title of this thread. It's a bit like "water wet", or "poo brown".

Nobody cares what the law says. If you had to try to make sense of Taiwan law your head would explode, so people just make it up as they go along.

Showing buyers around is ... unusual. Your landlord is obviously a high-handed git, but there's no redress for that in law, especially since rental contracts have a get-out clause for either party.

You need to check the conditions of this exit clause: it tends to be one-sided, as in "tenant will give three years notice and pay six months rent if he has the temerity to leave; landlord must give 24 hours notice and return the deposit if he feels like it". It's this clause, in my experience, that sets the tone for the entire contract.

The sale (if it even goes ahead) might take a few months to complete. It might not even affect you - the new buyers might be investors and happy to retain a tenant. In any case, best to just talk to the landlord and ask him directly what he's up to.

PS: I have had several perfectly honest, decent landlords.
"Global warming is happening and we KNOW that man is 100 percent responsible!!!"
- Fred Smith
Forumosan avatar
finley
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)

874 Recommends(s)
662 Recognized(s)

Postby Icon » 27 Jun 2012, 11:28

Actually, the law is more on the OPs side: he's going to be "sold" as a package, with the house. He just signed a one year contract, so the new owners have to respect that. I have seen this case many time, the new owners cannot kick him out. If anyone is getting the short end of the stick it is them , and then not: if they are buying the house as investment, then, the place is more attractive with tenants. If they want to pull the "we are going to live there/give it to our sons or daughters to live/" whatever ingenious excuse, there is a law estipulated and yes, respected term which they must respect. Most just live out the contract.

Seems to me that the landlord is just assuming things will not change, that the OP can stay there the same -same rent, same conditions, BTW- under the new administration. Before the knee jerk reaction -yes, dodgy = landlord, we all know- play it safe, and innocently inquire about future plans. Hopefully, there won't be any trouble. And if there is, no need to panic. Sit tight.
"Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante". Mafalda

"Nice guy? Who gives a shit? If you want to work here, close."
Forumosan avatar
Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

759 Recommends(s)
592 Recognized(s)

Postby finley » 27 Jun 2012, 13:32

That's true (I mentioned that he could be included in the "package deal" as a sitting tenant) but the fact remains the landlord should tell him what's going on. What the law says isn't really the issue - it's common human decency to talk to your tenant and tell him that the house is being sold, he might have a new landlord, but not to worry. Otherwise, it's natural to assume that something weird is going on. It's also prudent to assume the worst, just so you can make preparations.
"Global warming is happening and we KNOW that man is 100 percent responsible!!!"
- Fred Smith
Forumosan avatar
finley

874 Recommends(s)
662 Recognized(s)

Postby sandman » 27 Jun 2012, 13:46

You're renting his property. How in the HELL was he able to "show up?" You DID'N'T change the locks as your first move? More fool you! You let him in without an appointment? Why? Act like a doofus bathmat and that is exactly how you'll get treated.
Once bitten, twice shy. Next time, don't answer the door. Better yet, answer but say that you are busy and that he'll have to come back later. Every time he comes back, tell him the same thing. Your only obligation is to pay your rent on time.
And change the locks! It costs about NT$200 and you can then live in peace.

This post was recommended by urodacus (27 Jun 2012, 18:55)
Rating: 4%
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)

28 Recommends(s)
199 Recognized(s)

Postby sleepingtiger » 27 Jun 2012, 14:08

I did change the locks.. I'm not a fool. The landlord showed up with the people and they were standing on my doorstep.
While I agree, they should have called and booked an appointment ahead of time, not all people
in this world show common curtsey. I was actually surprised or maybe a little speechless,
as when they asked to come in, it was the 1st time I had heard that the house was on the market.
I could have refused, but it seemed awkward and would had been completely rude.
No ones walking over me, nor am I acting like a doofus bathmat as it was so stated by sandman.
The landlord is nice and has fixed everything I've asked. I was just so surprised that this wasn't mentioned when
the lease was signed.
I guess a standard question will be added the next time I sign a lease. Is the house for sale ?
sleepingtiger

ORIGINAL POSTER
5 Recognized(s)

Postby Icon » 27 Jun 2012, 14:13

finley wrote:That's true (I mentioned that he could be included in the "package deal" as a sitting tenant) but the fact remains the landlord should tell him what's going on. What the law says isn't really the issue - it's common human decency to talk to your tenant and tell him that the house is being sold, he might have a new landlord, but not to worry. Otherwise, it's natural to assume that something weird is going on. It's also prudent to assume the worst, just so you can make preparations.

Yep, the landlord was very sneaky, but you also mentioned that it takes months to complete a transaction. However, thinking about it, if the landlord has been trying to sell the place, hopefully already rented, he was more than sneaky. Nevertheless, there is little hope for advance disclosure. The only law-enforced disclosure has to do with any deaths/ghosts in the house. :loco: Nevertheless, it is as per SOP, also you mentioned that. What I do not want is the OP going guns blazing on the landlord, because then we will have loss of face and you know where that goes.

Regarding what Sandman said, yes, changing the locks is a good move. The tenant is entirely on his/her right to allow anybody, including the landord, into the property once the contract has been signed, so, yes, if he wants to let them in, good, if not, the landlord must have a lot of bowing and paisei to do. The landlord is NOT allowed to enter the property if the tenant is not in teh house, and must give ample advance announcement of such intentions. And this is really enforced.

Again, I am not advocating confrontation, but rather being as sneaky, playing innocent, cooperating if possible -maybe there are other advantages that can be negotiated in return for cooperation? Yes, it is enfuriating, yes, it makes you feel bad, but in Rome, do as Romans, tread softly and get far, save the ammunition for the real fight if and when it comes. The OP is sitting on teh catbird's seat, it is him the landlord should be afraid of losing ground now.
"Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante". Mafalda

"Nice guy? Who gives a shit? If you want to work here, close."
Forumosan avatar
Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

759 Recommends(s)
592 Recognized(s)

Postby sandman » 27 Jun 2012, 14:17

sleepingtiger wrote:it seemed awkward and would had been completely rude.

Nope. The rudeness was ALL on the part of the bloke who came to YOUR house uninvited and expected access. You just say: "No. Sorry. I'm too busy. Come back another day."
HE is using YOU for a bit of additional income while he sells his house. Without telling you in advance. You owe him NOTHING bar the rent. He fixed everything up? Great! It is HIS property. He was spending money on himself, not you.
Sorry about the bathmat bit, though. That was uncalled for, I suppose. Although it really DOES sound like you're being treated as one.
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)

28 Recommends(s)
199 Recognized(s)

Postby ichbinjenny » 27 Jun 2012, 21:01

http://www.forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi ... +apartment

After saying NO and telling the agent this was grounds to cancel the contract -- and that I would demand his fee back -- he talked with the landlords. They said they would wait until the end of the contract to start showing it again, and even then they didn't once ask to show it.

I didn't have to change the locks; they were good enough people to know when they were crossing the line.
ichbinjenny
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)

29 Recommends(s)
7 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Proceed to Legal Issues in Real Estate & Housing