Can a foreigner buy an apartment in Taiwan?

Can a foreigner buy...? Can a foreigner rent...? What about deposits? Bad neighbors? Unreasonable landlords? Miscellaneous problems?
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Re: Can a foreigner buy an apartment in Taiwan?

Postby pantera » 03 Nov 2011, 10:30

Hi Eiger John, Finley,

For both of you, you said that you weren't not able to ask a loan, but your wife could even she wasn't working, plus you as a guarantee.
By any chance, did you ask if as a 3rd option both of your names could be put on the loan?

Me I was told that I could only add my name for few 10k NT later on, and the pb being that now I don't have working contract in Taiwan (my wife neither btw).
note that in Taiwan, what you acquire before and after marriage as an individual remains his or hers exclusively...
pantera
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

Postby chagelly » 03 Dec 2011, 18:53

Hi, here's some answer from where I collect from Bank and Government Institution ,
I hope it help you
http://chackchen.blogspot.com/2011/12/s ... se-in.html
chagelly

Postby cranky laowai » 03 Dec 2011, 19:37

chagelly wrote:Hi, here's some answer from where I collect from Bank and Government Institution ,
I hope it help you http://chackchen.blogspot.com/2011/12/s ... se-in.html

My own state isn't on the list, even though I find it almost impossible to believe that Taiwanese are forbidden to buy a home there. But I know that arguing about that isn't going to get me anywhere with the authorities here.

How thoroughly do they check one's U.S. home state? Does it work if I just tell them I'm from, say, Texas? Or is some documentation required? If so, what? (My birth certificate, for example, shows me as being from one of the Taiwan-approved states.)
Forumosan avatar
cranky laowai
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)

38 Recommends(s)
41 Recognized(s)

Postby coralia » 08 Dec 2011, 13:55

Chagelly, thanks for your input. I'm a citizen of two countries and neither of them is on that list. I guess that answers my question!
coralia

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby stewartlin » 02 Mar 2012, 01:46

chagelly wrote:Hi, here's some answer from where I collect from Bank and Government Institution ,
I hope it help you

HI Chagelly, thank you for posting that link. It is helpful.

I have a slightly different situation but hoping you (or someone here) can help.

I am a US citizen living here in the US (but also have a Taiwan passport). I inherited property from my Dad (Taiwan born / US & TW citizen) who passed away recently and owned a condo in Taiwan.

I want to now transfer the title of this property to my cousin (Taiwan born - also dual passports (TW & US). She lives here in the US). This is not a sale, I won't be selling the property for any amount. I simply want to transfer the title for free ($0) to my cousin.

Do you know what I need to do to accomplish this? Should I get in contact with a lawyer or dai su (spell).

Thank you for any help.
stewartlin

Postby kage » 01 Aug 2012, 05:28

reciprocity list:
http://www.tcjs-land.gov.tw/chlas/chlal ... 850241.pdf

(I am not sure whether it is current or not, though. The order is a bit odd with countries at the top , US states in the middle, and more countries at the bottom.)
Forumosan avatar
kage
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)

4 Recommends(s)

Postby kaikai34 » 30 Dec 2013, 21:11

stewartlin wrote:
I hope it help you

HI Chagelly, thank you for posting that link. It is helpful.

I have a slightly different situation but hoping you (or someone here) can help.

I am a US citizen living here in the US (but also have a Taiwan passport). I inherited property from my Dad (Taiwan born / US & TW citizen) who passed away recently and owned a condo in Taiwan.

I want to now transfer the title of this property to my cousin (Taiwan born - also dual passports (TW & US). She lives here in the US). This is not a sale, I won't be selling the property for any amount. I simply want to transfer the title for free ($0) to my cousin.

Do you know what I need to do to accomplish this? Should I get in contact with a lawyer or dai su (spell).

Thank you for any help.

You need a Dai Su. Did you have to pay the inheritance tax? If you gift property, I think you may need to pay the appreciation tax. If the property is over 1.2 Million, then you have to pay a gift tax. What you should do is to cut the property into parts of 1.2 M or less and gift a section to your cousin once a year. That will save you the gift tax, but you may need to pay the appreciation tax which can be pretty killer. ( I had to pay over 3M in appreciation + gift )
Forumosan avatar
kaikai34
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)

22 Recommends(s)
38 Recognized(s)

Postby hsinhai78 » 30 Dec 2013, 21:13

Except for farmland and forests there are no general limitations for non-ROC citizens.

As far as selling or gifting is concerned, the transfer procedure at the land office is the same. You may nevertheless need to pay land value increment tax.
Forumosan avatar
hsinhai78
Fried Chicken-Parts Vendor (yán sū jī xiǎofàn)
Fried Chicken-Parts Vendor (yán sū jī xiǎofàn)

404 Recommends(s)
96 Recognized(s)
In Taiwan since: 01 Aug 2009

Postby feropont » 28 Mar 2014, 14:51

hsinhai78 wrote:Except for farmland and forests there are no general limitations for non-ROC citizens.

As far as selling or gifting is concerned, the transfer procedure at the land office is the same. You may nevertheless need to pay land value increment tax.

Does a hillside land has a same limitation as a farmland?

I also looking to get a loan to buy a hillside land and find it odd that no bank provide a loan to buy a hillside land even applicant is my wife, taiwanese citizen
feropont
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

4 Recommends(s)

Postby Rotalsnart » 28 Mar 2014, 16:52

hsinhai78 wrote:Except for farmland and forests there are no general limitations for non-ROC citizens.

Actually there are seven categories of land generally limited for non-ROC citizens (farmland is not one of them), as specified in Article 17, paragraph 1 of the Land Act:

Lands of the following descriptions shall not be transferred or leased to aliens, nor may encumbrance on them be created in favor of aliens:
(1) Forest lands.
(2) Fisheries.
(3) Hunting grounds.
(4) Salt fields.
(5) Lands with mineral deposit.
(6) Sources of water.
(7) Lands lying within fortified and military areas and lands adjacent to the national frontiers.
[Translation from the Ministry of Justice law database.]

Farmland is no longer expressly off limits to foreigners. Legally, it is a somewhat gray area. But in actual practice at present a foreign national is likely to find it very difficult, if not impossible, to buy farmland in most cases.
Rotalsnart
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)

93 Recommends(s)
68 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Legal Issues in Real Estate & Housing