conniebononie wrote:Yes, the dreaded black toxic mold is slowly, but surely invading my space. The studio had no indication of mold anywhere when I first viewed it. I signed my contract for a year about two and a half months ago. After one heavy rainstorm, black patches that I later identified as black mold appeared near the entrance of my studio. I understand that mold can be caused by high humidity that can be lowered by a dehumidifier. However, the night that it was raining heavily, there was water leaking from the edge of the ceiling so this is not a problem I can resolve with a dehumidifier. I have contacted my landlord regarding this patch of black mold on January 7. She stated that she will have the roof repaired so that water will stop leaking in and she will paint that area of the wall to cover the mold when the weather improves. It has yet to happen.
Since that incident, I started to notice that certain areas of my studio, alongside the mold, has patches of the wall looking extremely blistered and/or has pieces of the wall and cotton-like substance (insulation, I guess) spilling out. As a result, I'm convinced it's not the humidity of the air in my place causing this problem, but structural problems with the building leading to significant leakage causing mold growth within the wall that is surfacing on the wall. I'm extremely concerned about my health as mold is toxic and it seems to be pretty widespread around my tiny, not-well-ventilated studio. Even if she paints the wall and repairs the leakage, after this much exposure to moisture, how could the internal structure of the building not be compromised? I am confident I'm inhaling a lot of airborne mold as I type this and grow ever paranoid. I'm holding my blanket to cover my mouth and nose as much as possible. I can't live like this for 8 1/2 more months!
My question is whether or not I can terminate my contract without losing my deposit? Please advise. I welcome any suggestions, feedbacks, comments, etc at this point. Two cents, one cent, I take it all. Thanks in advance!
Belgian Pie wrote:Your cotton like substance is saltpeter...
Taigottawanna wrote:Well, she's already demonstrated to you that she won't fix the problem. Unless the contract has a clause guaranteeing your apartment to be mold-free, I doubt you'll get your deposit back. Mold is a common problem here, so be extra careful with choosing your next apartment.
Icon wrote:I'd guess if push comes to shove, and you have a contract and such, you could ask for helop at a place like Tsui Mama -definetively a good choice next time, as if something of this sort happens again, they clear it up for you- or even a local intervention -having local friends talk to your landlady on your behalf. There could be a legal recourse of some sort, but not very likely. Yes, the damage of mold to helath is serious, but as stated, this problem is far too common to warrant teh real attention it deserves. In teh meantime, take pictures to document damage -she may counterattack saying you did the damage. And yes, do move teh earliest possible. Mold is worse in summer.
Belgian Pie wrote:Your cotton like substance is saltpeter coming from the cement in the concrete, they don't use insulation in Taiwan ...
Handy if she wants to blow the place up in protest.
baberenglish wrote:if she doesn't fix it then it is plausible-not the mold but the structural damage.
1. document the damage-take pics/recording
2. don't pay rent until it's fixed-you'll see how fast it's fixed
3. if point 2 doesn't work start looking for a place
4. mold is your problem, structural damage is hers, use some bleach.
Mucha Man wrote:If you contacted your landlord on Jan 7 she may not have been able to get anyway in before the new year to work on the place. It's a pretty busy time of year. Give her the benefit of the doubt and say you really need this fixed or you will have to move out.
Forumosans browsing this forum: Google Feedfetcher and 1 guest