Sanctuary being torn down. We need your help!!! - click here for details
You can also visit TheSanctuaryTaiwan.org - click here to go to their contact page

Mold - plausible reason to terminate contract without losing deposit???

Can a foreigner buy...? Can a foreigner rent...? What about deposits? Bad neighbors? Unreasonable landlords? Miscellaneous problems?
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Re: Mold - plausible reason to terminate contract without losing deposit???

Postby conniebononie » 30 Jan 2012, 22:28

Thanks, Muzha Man. I think it is serious enough so that I do not want to stay. I guess my plan of attack for now is:
1. Record and take pictures of everything and anything I could possibly need for later
2. Contact the agency that hired me to contact her on my behalf and notified her that I would like to terminate my contract because of the mold problem that will (is?) affect my health without penalty. If necessary, reason that while she fixes my apartment, the apartment becomes uninhabitable and she will have to put me up in a hotel that will cost her anyways.
3. If it doesn't work, speak to someone from Tsuei Ma Ma and see if there's anything they can help me with.
4. Contact consulate

What do you guys think?
conniebononie
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby Mucha Man » 30 Jan 2012, 22:34

conniebononie wrote:Thanks, Muzha Man. I think it is serious enough so that I do not want to stay. I guess my plan of attack for now is:
1. Record and take pictures of everything and anything I could possibly need for later
2. Contact the agency that hired me to contact her on my behalf and notified her that I would like to terminate my contract because of the mold problem that will (is?) affect my health without penalty. If necessary, reason that while she fixes my apartment, the apartment becomes uninhabitable and she will have to put me up in a hotel that will cost her anyways.
3. If it doesn't work, speak to someone from Tsuei Ma Ma and see if there's anything they can help me with.
4. Contact consulate

What do you guys think?

Consulate will not help. Landlord will not pay for a hotel while repairs are done.

You really don't have a lot of tenant rights here. I would just lay it out to her flat: the apartment has a bad mold problem, you have tried to remedy it with bleach and a dehumidifier but it isn't working, and you need to move out. She can take next month's rent off your deposit and pay the rest when you move out.

Don't negotiate at the beginning. Just say what you want and see how she reacts. At worst, you lose one month's deposit. Don't risk lose two by paying for next month's rent.
“Everywhere else in the world is also really old” said Prof. Liu, a renowned historian at Beijing University. “We always learn that China has 5000 years of cultural heritage, and that therefore we are very special. It appears that other places also have some of this heritage stuff. And are also old. Like, really old.”

http://hikingintaiwan.blogspot.com/
Forumosan avatar
Mucha Man
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

782 Recognized(s)

Postby conniebononie » 30 Jan 2012, 22:44

Wow, this really bums. I'm still going to try Tsuei Ma Ma, just to get a Taiwanese opinion. Other than that, I guess I'm going with your plan, Muzha Man.
conniebononie

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby Mucha Man » 30 Jan 2012, 22:48

conniebononie wrote:Wow, this really bums. I'm still going to try Tsuei Ma Ma, just to get a Taiwanese opinion. Other than that, I guess I'm going with your plan, Muzha Man.

Yes, do try to get some solid legal advice.
“Everywhere else in the world is also really old” said Prof. Liu, a renowned historian at Beijing University. “We always learn that China has 5000 years of cultural heritage, and that therefore we are very special. It appears that other places also have some of this heritage stuff. And are also old. Like, really old.”

Forumosan avatar
Mucha Man
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

782 Recognized(s)

Postby conniebononie » 10 Feb 2012, 21:37

Hi all,

I meant to post the update of my situation earlier in case any of you are wondering what happened, but I have been busy. I finally have some time. My recruiter called my landlady and basically told her I wanted to move out due to the extreme mold growth and that I was starting to feel sick. My landlady agreed to allow me to move out and return my deposit without any penalty assuming I leave the apartment in a good condition. I think to start with though, she always has been on the kind side.

I am now in my new mold-free apartment! :)
conniebononie

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby Mucha Man » 11 Feb 2012, 00:21

Glad to hear it all worked out for you.

Forumosan avatar
Mucha Man
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

782 Recognized(s)

Postby Isha » 13 Feb 2012, 09:51

conniebononie wrote:I am now in my new mold-free apartment! :)

I am pretty sure that in the absence of drastic measures (like regular dehumidifier use) no place in Taipei is mold free. Watch out as it's only a matter of time before mold starts taking over bathroom and kitchen areas specifically.
Isha
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)

22 Recommends(s)
7 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Previous

Proceed to Legal Issues in Real Estate & Housing