Giving an apartment a "face-lift"

Can a foreigner buy...? Can a foreigner rent...? What about deposits? Bad neighbors? Unreasonable landlords? Miscellaneous problems?
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Giving an apartment a "face-lift"

Postby bumclouds » 27 Feb 2012, 14:43

We've all seen those home improvement shows where people give their houses a fresh lick of paint and try to sell it for more.

Has anyone on this forum ever done it before (in Taiwan)?

When I was a kid in Australia I remember "helping" my auntie by painting the wall with a tiny paintbrush and getting in the way of people doing heavy lifting. She made a lot of money for someone in her late 20's.
Your warning level: [4]
Forumosan avatar
bumclouds
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)

ORIGINAL POSTER
99 Recommends(s)
82 Recognized(s)

Re: Giving an apartment a "face-lift"

Postby headhonchoII » 27 Feb 2012, 15:03

I think what generally happens in Taiwan is that people build new or second hand houses and often immediately rip it apart and rebuild according to their own requirements and tastes or else they specify what they want at the start when buying an unbuilt apartment. For business people the favourite approach is to buy a dilipidated apartment or one unsuitable for family life (e.g. situated over a temple) and then turn it into multiple taofang (studio apartments). They usually hold onto the apartment in this case and rent it out though, first it was to students and singles and now to tourists.
It was common in Taiwan's last property boom in the 90s to do what you said but I just think things are different now.
Many old gongyu will eventually be demolished and built into high rises and that's another factor to consider.
I can remember the fourth of July runnin' through the backwood bare.
And I can still hear my old hound dog barkin' chasin' down a hoodoo there
Chasin' down a hoodoo there.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1737 Recommends(s)
623 Recognized(s)

Postby finley » 27 Feb 2012, 15:13

What HH said, although I imagine it's still possible to do if you choose your location wisely, find a building that's still structurally sound (not easy to ascertain!), and do some of it yourself. It ain't cheap if you call in the "experts". I knew someone who got a team in to do a complete makeover (the flat was about 20 ping in an oldish 5-storey building). IIRC it cost about NT$700000, and that was purely for a cosmetic makeover - cheap 木心板 stuff, lots of energy-sucking halogen spots, you know the sort of thing. Looked nice, but it would want ripping out again in <10 years, and I doubt you'd realise a massive profit if you were fixing up just to sell.
"Global warming is happening and we KNOW that man is 100 percent responsible!!!"
- Fred Smith
Forumosan avatar
finley
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)

858 Recommends(s)
657 Recognized(s)

Postby Icon » 27 Feb 2012, 22:37

Basic paint job with new floor -cheapest ceramic- goes for 150K. New doors say 50K, add some pipes and electrics -again, on the cheapest side, and you'll have 100K easily. Fixtures make a statement, say 2K each. You can easily put up to a million in renovations if you do closets and other storage areas.

The money is in buying an old apartment in a well located area and dividing the rooms into taofangs/rooms and rent separately.
"Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante". Mafalda

"Nice guy? Who gives a shit? If you want to work here, close."
Forumosan avatar
Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

732 Recommends(s)
573 Recognized(s)

Postby bumclouds » 28 Feb 2012, 22:37

Icon wrote:Basic paint job with new floor -cheapest ceramic- goes for 150K. New doors say 50K, add some pipes and electrics -again, on the cheapest side, and you'll have 100K easily. Fixtures make a statement, say 2K each.

I was thinking more a bunch of small one-bedroom studio apartments. Would it really cost 150K to re-do the walls and floor in a pokey little student apartment?
Your warning level: [4]
Forumosan avatar
bumclouds

ORIGINAL POSTER
99 Recommends(s)
82 Recognized(s)

Postby Icon » 29 Feb 2012, 09:29

bumclouds wrote:
Icon wrote:Basic paint job with new floor -cheapest ceramic- goes for 150K. New doors say 50K, add some pipes and electrics -again, on the cheapest side, and you'll have 100K easily. Fixtures make a statement, say 2K each.

I was thinking more a bunch of small one-bedroom studio apartments. Would it really cost 150K to re-do the walls and floor in a pokey little student apartment?

No, that is not redoing walls. That is just basic paint job and cheap ceramic tile flooring for let's say about 20 ping. You can get many quotations, I'm throwing here a ballpark figure based on my 6 quotations for my own place -23 ping.
"Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante". Mafalda

"Nice guy? Who gives a shit? If you want to work here, close."
Forumosan avatar
Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

732 Recommends(s)
573 Recognized(s)

Postby *monkey* » 29 Feb 2012, 10:00

yeah, there is no concept of fixing up a place to sell here. You fix up a place to live in or rent out. When the value of an apartment is calculated by banks for appraisal purposes, they only take into account the location and size of the property. What it contains is not relevant. You might get a small bump in resale price if you leave something the new owner wants (a pristine wooden floor, for example) but that is usually negotiated in addition to the real estate value.

All wood (even finger-jointed lengths, plywood, particleboard etc) is expensive in Taiwan. For that 700,000 Finley mentioned (which is about right), about half that cost is going to be for wooden raw materials.
Floggings will continue until morale improves

Monkey's portmanteau of the day: Scootard
Forumosan avatar
*monkey*
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)

4 Recommends(s)
64 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Proceed to Legal Issues in Real Estate & Housing