Downstairs neighbor pipe leak

Can a foreigner buy...? Can a foreigner rent...? What about deposits? Bad neighbors? Unreasonable landlords? Miscellaneous problems?
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Downstairs neighbor pipe leak

Postby engerim » 27 Jun 2012, 19:12

The guy who owns the flat down to mine has decided to sell his apartment.
Now he found out that there's water leaking under his roof near the window area (which is under my floor) and he wants to repair it.

In the beginning he even wanted to compensate me for any related construction (which means open the parquet floor and make a big hole).
But after they had a house meeting with my landlord my landlord agreed on the construction.
(Note that he still hasn't proved that the problem is caused from my apartment).

Finally, today, that downstairs neighbour sent a registered letter (I suppose by his housing agent not by himself) that if I don't agree to the construction I will have to pay all the extra costs and damages, as my landlord agreed, and according to paragraph 184 of the Taiwan Civil Law, which reads:

http://law.moj.gov.tw/Eng/LawClass/LawA ... e=B0000001
A person who, intentionally or negligently, has wrongfully damaged the rights of another is bound to compensate him for any injury arising therefrom. The same rule shall be applied when the injury is done intentionally in a manner against the rules of morals.

He mentioned I should reply within three days. Any suggestions how to react (if at all)?
I really doubt he will sue me in civil court (as he can just repair it from downstairs).
Maybe thats more expensive to do but why should that be on my cost?
Forumosan avatar
engerim
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)

ORIGINAL POSTER
8 Recommends(s)
15 Recognized(s)

Re: Downstairs neighbor pipe leak

Postby bigduke6 » 27 Jun 2012, 19:23

Surely it is an issue between him and the landlord?

What does it have to do with you?
Jesus Quintana: Let me tell you something, pendejo. You pull any of your crazy shit with us, you flash a piece out on the lanes, I'll take it away from you, stick it up your ass and pull the fucking trigger 'til it goes "click."
The Dude: Jesus.
Jesus Quintana: You said it, man. Nobody
fucks with the Jesus.

Mr.Lahey: The shitabyss!
Randy: Mr. Lahey, not another night of the shitabyss, please?!
Mr.Lahey: Ah, fuck it.

If you talk to god, you're religious. If god talks to you, you're psychotic.
Gregory House

I got me a dog and named her Mybitchniggaeater.
2Pac
Forumosan avatar
bigduke6
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)

72 Recommends(s)
132 Recognized(s)

Postby engerim » 27 Jun 2012, 19:43

bigduke6 wrote:Surely it is an issue between him and the landlord?
What does it have to do with you?

I'm living there? I don't want to sleep in an construction site.
I think I'm not going to do anything (unless they kick us out).
Forumosan avatar
engerim

ORIGINAL POSTER
8 Recommends(s)
15 Recognized(s)

Postby urodacus » 27 Jun 2012, 23:16

This happened to us, except we were underneath the leaky man.

it's way easier to fix the leak from above. Ever tried drilling and jack hammering UP into a concrete ceiling to find the source of a leak (usually a corroded joint on a pipe or a drain fitting)? Nope, that's why they come in from the top. And normally, as the leaky pipe services YOUR apartment, not the person downstairs, it's your /your landlord's thing to fix. They try to replace the whole leaky section of pipe, which means complete access to enough of the length of the pipe to cut out the bad section and graft in a new piece.

Fess up, allow them to fart around in your apartment for three days, and avoid the hassle. Don't be the guy who refuses to cooperate, or you'll find yourself out of pocket and likely out of an apartment too.
The prizes are a bottle of f*!@#$% SCOTCH and a box of cheap f!@#$#$ CIGARS!
Forumosan avatar
urodacus
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

169 Recommends(s)
216 Recognized(s)

Postby cfimages » 28 Jun 2012, 07:26

I've had a similar thing happen. It turned out to be much less hassle than I'd thought, and they were done within 2 days. Other than a bit of noise for an hour or two while they jackhammered the concrete the first morning, and the fact that one bathroom was off limits for 48 hours, it wasn't a big deal.
Forumosan avatar
cfimages
Golden Lotus (huángjīn liánhuā)
Golden Lotus (huángjīn liánhuā)

152 Recommends(s)
164 Recognized(s)

Postby baberenglish » 28 Jun 2012, 08:14

1. Any costs should be incurred by the landlord.
2. You do have to put up with the 'ruckus' for a bit of time. They are generally fast. Quite simply put, it's a consequence of living in an apartment building. Most things are connected. Frustrating? Yes.
That's why I bought a house.
Good luck and be patient. Things have a funny way of working themselves out.
Forumosan avatar
baberenglish
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)

13 Recognized(s)

Postby engerim » 28 Jun 2012, 10:26

urodacus wrote:it's way easier to fix the leak from above.

Yep. I know that and I'd like them to do it if they can make things clear. My lawyer says the only way they can force me to do it is by ending my rental contract.
Today I got the log from a community meeting where that guy and my landlord agreed they won't do anything without my consent and nothing before August 20.
He (the downstairs guy) still sent me that registered letter asking to respond within two days.
Before he wanted to compensate for the work, now he doesn't. So I can't trust him.

I'm also certain the problem exists since before I moved in. The flat has been for sale since over a year.
Apparently the previous guy moved out because of that leak. Its not a huge leak and they are morons.. so I guess I just watch them play and in worst case move out :)
Surely I won't reply to that letter.
Forumosan avatar
engerim

ORIGINAL POSTER
8 Recommends(s)
15 Recognized(s)

Postby *monkey* » 28 Jun 2012, 11:01

engerim wrote: Its not a huge leak and they are morons.

During the hotter months when the concrete expands a little, that leak might just get a lot worse. The water can find its way into places you couldn't imagine, like the wiring in his apartment (trust me, it's a scary sight to see water dripping out of a 220v power socket). Then there is the damp and mold that comes with even small leaks. How about your wooden floor? How long till it goes rotten?

I think you should try to cooperate with the repairs - it's the responsible thing to do.
Floggings will continue until morale improves

Monkey's portmanteau of the day: Scootard
Forumosan avatar
*monkey*

4 Recommends(s)
52 Recognized(s)

Postby sandman » 28 Jun 2012, 11:32

I still don't understand. Why on earth would anyone other than your landlord be talking about compensating you for inconvenience? Why are you even in the equation? Its between your landlord and his neighbour. Its not "your" parquet floor, it belongs to someone else.
It seems to me that both your landlord and your neighbour are being rather courteous to you by even taking account of your opinion on the matter.
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)

28 Recommends(s)
196 Recognized(s)

Postby engerim » 28 Jun 2012, 12:00

sandman wrote:I still don't understand. Why on earth would anyone other than your landlord be talking about compensating you for inconvenience? Why are you even in the equation? Its between your landlord and his neighbour. Its not "your" parquet floor, it belongs to someone else.
It seems to me that both your landlord and your neighbour are being rather courteous to you by even taking account of your opinion on the matter.

I guess so too. But could they kick me out to do their construction thing? I already changed the locks :whistle: I really think ending the rental contract would be my landlords only way.
BUT My landlord is a really nice guy and hates the guy downstairs. He now repeated to me he won't do anything unless I agree. :cool:
Forumosan avatar
engerim

ORIGINAL POSTER
8 Recommends(s)
15 Recognized(s)

Next

x

Return to Legal Issues in Real Estate & Housing