Sanctuary being torn down. We need your help!!! - click here for details
You can also visit TheSanctuaryTaiwan.org - click here to go to their contact page

‘Violent house’ sale leads to eight-month jail term

Can a foreigner buy...? Can a foreigner rent...? What about deposits? Bad neighbors? Unreasonable landlords? Miscellaneous problems?
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Postby Dog's_Breakfast » 16 Apr 2009, 09:51

Wow! This would probably not be considered a crime anywhere else in the world!

DPA , TAIPEI
Monday, Apr 13, 2009, Page 2

A man has been sentenced to prison for eight months for selling a house without telling the buyer that someone had committed suicide there, local media reported yesterday.

The Banqiao District Court handed down the sentence to Lee Chiong-chi (李炯祺) on Saturday because he did not tell the buyer surnamed Chang (張) that it was a “violent house” — a term meaning that an unnatural death, murder or suicide had occurred at the house, the Liberty Times (the Taipei Times’ sister paper) reported.

more here...

This is really primitive.
Welcome to the Hotel Forumosa. You can login anytime you like, but you can never leave.
Forumosan avatar
Dog's_Breakfast
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)

ORIGINAL POSTER
59 Recognized(s)

Re: ‘Violent house’ sale leads to eight-month jail term

Postby Jaboney » 16 Apr 2009, 09:57

Superstitious idiocy.
Forumosan avatar
Jaboney
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

22 Recommends(s)
56 Recognized(s)

Postby Anubis » 16 Apr 2009, 10:01

Jaboney wrote:Superstitious idiocy.

:lol: :lol:

My ever-so-learned fellow engineers often go to the temple to pray for the safety of our products. My attempt at convincing them to spend more on R&D and QC falls on deaf ears.
Sekhem Em Pet

Taiwan UP
Forumosan avatar
Anubis
Fried Chicken-Parts Vendor (yán sū jī xiǎofàn)
Fried Chicken-Parts Vendor (yán sū jī xiǎofàn)

2 Recommends(s)

Postby TheGingerMan » 16 Apr 2009, 10:02

Verily, the ghoul's ghostly rights are being grossly violated.
"Turne ye to the strong hold, ye prisoners of hope,
even to day do I declare that I will render double unto thee:"

~~~ZECHARIAH 9:12

"Or fill high hawkfell of my hand,
with skalds reward for skilled word?"

~~~Egill Skallagrimssøn, c.974

"Opinion is underrated since it is too difficult for most and not understood by the rest."
~~~elektronisk
Forumosan avatar
TheGingerMan
Bureaucrat of the Underworld (cóng dìyù lái de guānliáo)
Bureaucrat of the Underworld (cóng dìyù lái de guānliáo)

4 Recommends(s)
224 Recognized(s)

Postby Mother Theresa » 16 Apr 2009, 10:09

Jaboney wrote:Superstitious idiocy.

I agree. In the US, perhaps you could rescind the sale, return the house and get your money back. I think there's a good chance you could as that would likely be considered a "material fact" about the house.

But a criminal sentence for non-disclosure during a simple civil sale of property? That's as dumb as Taiwan's criminal punishment for adultery.

I blame not just Taiwan's outdated, paternalistic, ridiculous laws, but the stupid and inexperienced judges and prosecutors. But give them a few more decades, maybe they'll learn.
"The internet is a monster over which we have no control. We can’t even turn it off." Jeremy Clarkson
Forumosan avatar
Mother Theresa
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

14 Recommends(s)
44 Recognized(s)

Postby Icon » 16 Apr 2009, 10:35

I think the sentence was imposed not because the guy lied outrageously but rather to set a legal precedent over the breaking of the contract, as he had already signed on paper that the house was "ghost free". In this case, I would say it is setting an example, as he could as well have lied about whether radioactive bars were used for the columns, etc... We would not be surprised if someone who sold a house under those conditions -radioactive bars- would be panalized, too. For Taiwanese -and me too- a suicide is a major no-no, just as big as radioactive bars.

What I mean to say is that it is reasonable to penalize him for breaking the terms of the contract or bearing false witness -false statement we call that in Spanish- because it was especifically asked for in the contract. It was one of the conditions or terms.

That they gave it special force because it involved the spiritual word is another matter... :D

ps.
I remember there was a real estate agency that was offering 4 guarantees ver house buying: no radioactive bars, no sea salt used, and two other thinsg I cannot remember.
"Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante". Mafalda

"Nice guy? Who gives a shit? If you want to work here, close."
Forumosan avatar
Icon
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

633 Recommends(s)
502 Recognized(s)

Postby Dog's_Breakfast » 16 Apr 2009, 13:29

Icon wrote:I think the sentence was imposed not because the guy lied outrageously but rather to set a legal precedent over the breaking of the contract, as he had already signed on paper that the house was "ghost free". In this case, I would say it is setting an example, as he could as well have lied about whether radioactive bars were used for the columns, etc... We would not be surprised if someone who sold a house under those conditions -radioactive bars- would be panalized, too. For Taiwanese -and me too- a suicide is a major no-no, just as big as radioactive bars.

A major difference being that radioactive bars can give you cancer, and kill you. As for a ghost, if it bothers you, then the house should be returned and the seller forced to give back the money. You, the buyer, suffered no harm, other than inconvenience by having to move again, and maybe some stress. Criminal penalties seem inappropriate in this case. It should be a civil matter.

Here in Taidong, there's a hotel downtown that's been closed for nearly a year because one of the guests commited suicide by jumping from the top floor. It's a total loss - guests can't stay there because of the ghost, and the owner can't sell the building, so it sits vacant.

As for me personally, I couldn't care less if someone died in the house where I live, by means of suicide or whatever. Dead people have never caused me any trouble. It's always living people who cause trouble.

I wonder if this law also applies to land (rather than just a house). You can at least tear down a house and build a new one (I presume that gets rid of the ghosts), but what if someone dies on your vacant land? You know, there's probably not an acre of land left in Taiwan where somebody hasn't died an unnatural death. This island has been inhabited by aborigines for 12,000 years and they fought frequent tribal wars, with plenty of headhunting. Then the Han arrived 400 years ago and killed many aborigines (and each other). Then the Dutch, followed by the Japanese - the newcomers each left their own trail of blood behind. Last but not least, let's not forget Chiang Kaishek and the 228 Massacre. Do sellers of land have to account for every violent death since the beginning of time, or is there a statute of limitations?

cheers,
DB
Welcome to the Hotel Forumosa. You can login anytime you like, but you can never leave.
Forumosan avatar
Dog's_Breakfast

ORIGINAL POSTER
59 Recognized(s)

Postby Tempo Gain » 16 Apr 2009, 13:49

Fraud is fraud. People take this really seriously here. Even if someone doesn't personally, it's a serious issue because it affects the potential resale of the property.
Forumosan avatar
Tempo Gain
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

292 Recommends(s)
295 Recognized(s)

Postby Icon » 16 Apr 2009, 14:27

Tempo Gain wrote:Fraud is fraud. People take this really seriously here. Even if someone doesn't personally, it's a serious issue because it affects the potential resale of the property.

That was the word I was looking for. Whether a fraud is a civil or penal issue, I leave it to the lawyers. I do like that a precedent has been set, and people who lie about teh house conditions, be it resident ghosts, sea salt, radioactive bars, faulty electric connections, rat infestations, whatever, etc.. are penalized as strongly as possible to deter this kind of fraud.

Though I do agree with Dog's breakfast (what a strange name!) that the living do cause more trouble than the dead...
"Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante". Mafalda

"Nice guy? Who gives a shit? If you want to work here, close."
Forumosan avatar
Icon
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

633 Recommends(s)
502 Recognized(s)

Postby Tempo Gain » 16 Apr 2009, 15:48

Icon wrote:
Though I do agree with Dog's breakfast (what a strange name!) that the living do cause more trouble than the dead...

Sure, they're a lot more fun too though.
Forumosan avatar
Tempo Gain
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

292 Recommends(s)
295 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to Legal Issues in Real Estate & Housing