Sanctuary being torn down. We need your help!!! - click here for details
You can also visit TheSanctuaryTaiwan.org - click here to go to their contact page

water from above

Can a foreigner buy...? Can a foreigner rent...? What about deposits? Bad neighbors? Unreasonable landlords? Miscellaneous problems?
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

water from above

Postby bigal » 06 Jul 2009, 02:34

water has leaked in to my apartment from the apartment above. I had a plumber in to look in the man's apartment above and he has said that the waterproofing in his shower needs re-doing. The cost being 23000Nt $. The man above wants me to pay half. I refused and said the rules for the building say water from above is the above person's responsibility. Went to a lawyer and he said just pay the money as any judge will say pay half- half. I know how I feel but does anybody know legally where I stand? or any examples?
bigal
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

ORIGINAL POSTER
3 Recognized(s)

Re: water from above

Postby Franck de Taiwan » 06 Jul 2009, 06:47

I can't see any reason why you'd have to pay anything, but from a legal standpoint I don't know how it works here.

23000 $ sounds a rip off to me. :ohreally:

Sorry, can't help that much...
Franck de Taiwan
Càiniǎo
Càiniǎo

6 Recommends(s)
3 Recognized(s)

Postby Anubis » 06 Jul 2009, 07:04

Find another apartment. Move.
Sekhem Em Pet

Taiwan UP
Forumosan avatar
Anubis
Fried Chicken-Parts Vendor (yán sū jī xiǎofàn)
Fried Chicken-Parts Vendor (yán sū jī xiǎofàn)

2 Recommends(s)

Postby whitetiger » 06 Jul 2009, 08:03

Do either of you even own the apartments? Call your landlord, the longer he waits, the more expensive it will be. Don't pay half unless it's coming off the rent.
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones."
Albert Einstein
Forumosan avatar
whitetiger
Night Market Cop (yè shì tiáo zi)
Night Market Cop (yè shì tiáo zi)

1 Recognized(s)

Postby housecat » 06 Jul 2009, 08:42

And if you have to pay half to pay for repairs to the upper neighbor's appartment, he/she should pay half for repairs to your appartment, if you're the owners of the appartments.
Forumosan avatar
housecat
Almost a God (jīhū shì shén)

96 Recommends(s)
115 Recognized(s)

Postby Marty » 06 Jul 2009, 10:10

This is something your landlord needs to take care of.
Forumosan avatar
Marty
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)

1 Recommends(s)

Postby bigal » 06 Jul 2009, 11:01

I own it. Iwas renting it out but because of the water and the false ceiling falling down they moved out so I think the above guy ( who owns his ) is responsible for my rental loss as well as repairing my ceiling.
bigal

ORIGINAL POSTER
3 Recognized(s)

Postby Lord Lucan » 06 Jul 2009, 11:08

I think your lawyer needs his head examined.
Forumosan avatar
Lord Lucan

4 Recommends(s)
4 Recognized(s)

Postby bigal » 06 Jul 2009, 11:40

That's what I thought but I was wondering does anybody see another Taiwanese side to the story that I am missing?
bigal

ORIGINAL POSTER
3 Recognized(s)

Postby citizen k » 06 Jul 2009, 12:10

Does the building have a superintendent? Their job to mediate these kind of things. His shower, his waterproofing; his responsibility including damages to your ceiling, imho.
citizen k
"Drinks for the House!"

4 Recommends(s)
15 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to Legal Issues in Real Estate & Housing