First time apartments in Taipei

Can a foreigner buy...? Can a foreigner rent...? What about deposits? Bad neighbors? Unreasonable landlords? Miscellaneous problems?
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Re: First time apartments in Taipei

Postby Gulgon » 15 Oct 2009, 09:48

Tyrone, I'm just waiting for you to provide me with some references. We've seen your site, and if it's not too good to be true, it looks like something we might be interested in.

I wont, as a policy, deal with any real estate agent who doesn't provide me with references of customers, satisfied or not. Since I can't see you or hear you or talk to you eye to eye, I would rather you give me the names of some people who have been served by you and talk with them about your service record ... not that I anticipate it to be questionable.
Forumosan avatar
Gulgon
Càiniǎo
Càiniǎo

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby Lord Lucan » 16 Oct 2009, 20:31

Generally speaking avoid agents unless your company is paying or you have a budget of around 5k US and above.

Try Tsuei Ma Ma instead. http://www.tmm.org.tw/English/index.html

If no-one in your party can read Chinese then get an agent but he will laugh heartily at a budget under NT$100k per month.

A half-decent 3-bed apartment in a convenient part of central Taipei is about NT$35k a month. Nothing special, but not a complete tip. There aren't really "bad" neighbourhoods as such and your main source of annoyance will be inconsiderate neighbours who are everywhere. In fact my experience has been the more upmarket the neighbourhood, the bigger a shower of bastards the neighbours are.
Forumosan avatar
Lord Lucan
Almost a God (jīhū shì shén)
Almost a God (jīhū shì shén)

4 Recommends(s)
4 Recognized(s)

Postby Icon » 27 Oct 2009, 17:19

Gulgon wrote:You are all so helpful, I am really enjoying this forum ... so civil!

Swede, I am so glad that you took the time to look up those listings, what a great resource you have provided ... unfortunately my Chinese is horrid at best. I could probably only tell you that the little boy is eating rice before stuttering and collapsing in a fit of tonal anguish.

Tyrone, we might need your services because of the language problem. Do you have some references or previous customers that I could get in contact with?

Icon, I'm glad you mentioned the fact that renters, in Taiwan, can be responsible for their own maint. and garbage. Even in the worst places I've rented in the states (think rural rat's nest cottage) I've still not been responsible for maintaining the place. Interesting difference. The garbage, too. I am no stanger to taking my garbage to our local dumpster, but it seems like that is a job that would become an arduous task while getting to know a new city.

I will keep all of this in mind, if you think of anything else that is interesting please let me know. We'll be coming at the beginning of the next school year.

Gulgon, you misunderstood me, I think. Not all tenants have to take care of their own repairs, but usually the landlord does.

The building maintenance is carried out by the administrative company in the newer ta low, teh same one that usually collects garbage and cleans teh building ... for a fee.

In older buildings, gong wu, teh neighbors are supposed to get organized and have acomittee for that... which is complicate dif everyone is a renter and your landlord lives in the States, as in my case.

In this traditional areas, then you yourself go chase the garbage truck and throw the stuff in. You just have to know the schedule. Usually, the truck comes two times a day. Just follow the crowd when you hear Fur Elise.

In a newer building, you would just worry about putting it in a chute anytime and someone else will take care of it.
"Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante". Mafalda

"Nice guy? Who gives a shit? If you want to work here, close."
Forumosan avatar
Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

732 Recommends(s)
573 Recognized(s)

Having a frustrating time for all the logical reasons

Postby MilkTeaJack » 21 Jan 2011, 17:54

So I am looking for a place. The problems are my schedule, my Chinese speaking friends' availability, my own illiteracy, and tealit being populated by sharks (already wasted a day apt hunting by one lady...long story, but the places were real dives and she was sketchy :fume: )-so I have until CNY to find a new place but few resources.

I am checking with Tsuei Mama daily. Sometimes the listings aren't to my specs. I guess I am putting the word out that if you know of a rental site, I could try to muddle through the language and get a general sense of what is available... :eh:
twitter: jackge

Do right by yourself, you'll do right for others.
Do right by others, you'll do right for yourself.
Then on your final day of reckoning, there'll be no blame for living the life you lived.
Forumosan avatar
MilkTeaJack
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)

2 Recognized(s)

Re: Having a frustrating time for all the logical reasons

Postby cranky laowai » 21 Jan 2011, 22:13

MilkTeaJack wrote:if you know of a rental site, I could try to muddle through the language and get a general sense of what is available... :eh:

http://www.591.com.tw/ and, of course, Taiwanted.
Forumosan avatar
cranky laowai
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)

37 Recommends(s)
41 Recognized(s)

Postby MilkTeaJack » 23 Jan 2011, 12:12

Thanks for the 541 link! And the Taiwanted site isnt up yet as far as I can tell.

Then on your final day of reckoning, there'll be no blame for living the life you lived.
Forumosan avatar
MilkTeaJack

2 Recognized(s)

Postby Icon » 23 Jan 2011, 13:52

"Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante". Mafalda

"Nice guy? Who gives a shit? If you want to work here, close."
Forumosan avatar
Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

732 Recommends(s)
573 Recognized(s)

Re: Having a frustrating time for all the logical reasons

Postby Mucha Man » 24 Jan 2011, 00:44

oops, supposed to be a pm
“Everywhere else in the world is also really old” said Prof. Liu, a renowned historian at Beijing University. “We always learn that China has 5000 years of cultural heritage, and that therefore we are very special. It appears that other places also have some of this heritage stuff. And are also old. Like, really old.”

http://hikingintaiwan.blogspot.com/
Forumosan avatar
Mucha Man
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

803 Recognized(s)

Postby MilkTeaJack » 24 Jan 2011, 10:03

Thanks again for the links. This really helps!

Forumosan avatar
MilkTeaJack

2 Recognized(s)

Postby UhdL » 24 Jan 2011, 16:38

Not sure if you're interested, but I have some beautiful, newly renovated studios on the same block as Exit 4 of the Gongguan MRT. Not sure if anyone has had this offer, but I can give tenants an English lease ONLY, as opposed to a Chinese lease or an English & Chinese lease where the Chinese overrides the English one.

http://www.tealit.com/ad_categories.php ... anguage=en

Feel free to PM me, too :P
UhdL
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Legal Issues in Real Estate & Housing