higher property tax for foreigners not on household registry

Can a foreigner buy...? Can a foreigner rent...? What about deposits? Bad neighbors? Unreasonable landlords? Miscellaneous problems?
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

higher property tax for foreigners not on household registry

Postby John » 20 Dec 2009, 12:31

I noticed that my property and land tax is a higher than my husband's (we each own 50% of the house and land).

Hubby claimed that this is because he gets a 'discount', and this is only possible if you are on the "household registration".

Of course I cannot be on the "household registration", because I am a foreigner and our marriage is not recognized under Taiwanese law?

Anyone know a way around this?
Forumosan avatar
John
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)

ORIGINAL POSTER
27 Recommends(s)
13 Recognized(s)

Re: higher property tax for foreigners not on household registry

Postby Rotalsnart » 23 Dec 2009, 03:16

Yes, foreigners are also eligible for the reduced tax rate for property that is in their own name and in which they live. (This tax benefit is only available on the property you own and in which you actually live, not in a property that you own and rent out.) All you have to do is take your ARC showing the address of the house as your residence address, and the deed to the house showing you own your share of it in your own name, and register with the property tax office in your district. (I've registered for the same tax deduction on my own property so I know it can be done.)

The only difference between local and foreign owners in this regard is that the local owner must bring the household registration plus the deed, whereas the foreign owner must bring their ARC plus the deed (in both cases the address on the household registration or ARC must be the same as the address on the deed).
Rotalsnart
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)

75 Recommends(s)
58 Recognized(s)

Postby John » 26 Dec 2009, 11:21

Awesome, thanks.

I thought that would have all been done when we went to the various offices to transfer 50% ownership into my name (went to about 4 different floors in the tax department), but obviously this will require an entire new set of forms and floor.

Thanks again.
Forumosan avatar
John

ORIGINAL POSTER
27 Recommends(s)
13 Recognized(s)

Postby Rotalsnart » 27 Dec 2009, 00:52

jands wrote:Awesome, thanks.

I thought that would have all been done when we went to the various offices to transfer 50% ownership into my name (went to about 4 different floors in the tax department), but obviously this will require an entire new set of forms and floor.

Thanks again.

Hopefully the fact that the apartment is in two different names will not pose any obstacles. Legally, I'm fairly confident it should not, but sometimes administrative people will use any excuse to shoo applicants away. Let us know if you have any problems with the tax registration. (In my experience it was a one-counter, one-stop deal at the land tax office in my district.)
Rotalsnart

75 Recommends(s)
58 Recognized(s)

Postby ichbinjenny » 14 Jan 2010, 13:22

Rotalsnart wrote:(This tax benefit is only available on the property you own and in which you actually live, not in a property that you own and rent out.)

So if my partner and I own an apartment (in a very similar arrangement as the OP, 50% ownership w/non-legally-wed-spouse), I will be taxed higher than she because she is Taiwanese and I am not?
*Wilsen Publishing*
Importer of fine stationery (greeting cards, birthday cards, journals, notebooks, calendars) from the US and Canada
Publisher of EFL and Chinese-language learning books
http://www.wilsenpublishing.com | 04-2301-3662
ichbinjenny
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)

29 Recommends(s)
7 Recognized(s)

Postby Rotalsnart » 14 Jan 2010, 14:13

ichbinjenny wrote:
Rotalsnart wrote:(This tax benefit is only available on the property you own and in which you actually live, not in a property that you own and rent out.)

So if my partner and I own an apartment (in a very similar arrangement as the OP, 50% ownership w/non-legally-wed-spouse), I will be taxed higher than she because she is Taiwanese and I am not?

No. A foreign national is eligible for the same tax break as a Taiwanese on the apartment/house that they own and live in. But regardless of whether a foreign national or a Taiwanese, to claim the deduction you must go through the process of taking the deed with your name on it, your I.D., and your chop, down to the local tax office in your district and filing an application. You only have to do this once and the deduction will continue to apply in all subsequent years.

I know for a fact that this applies to property that is wholly owned in one person's name, and I presume that it it also applies to property that is owned in shares (50-50 or otherwise), regardless of the relationship or nationality of the people who own the respective shares. Just go down to your local property tax office with the deed to your property, your I.D., and your chop in hand and they should be able to register you for the deduction on the spot. If that doesn't work for some reason, ask them to explain why and report back to us.
Rotalsnart

75 Recommends(s)
58 Recognized(s)

Postby *monkey* » 01 May 2012, 21:39

What is the property tax descount for registering it as main domicile? Anyone have any info? The basic rate is 1.2%, right?

Property tax is due this month :(
Floggings will continue until morale improves

Monkey's portmanteau of the day: Scootard
Forumosan avatar
*monkey*
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)

4 Recommends(s)
61 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Proceed to Legal Issues in Real Estate & Housing