Bank or coop willing to lend to foreigners in Taidong?

Can a foreigner buy...? Can a foreigner rent...? What about deposits? Bad neighbors? Unreasonable landlords? Miscellaneous problems?
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Bank or coop willing to lend to foreigners in Taidong?

Postby Rotalsnart » 22 Jun 2010, 13:19

I'm interested in possibly purchasing some land in Taidong with the idea of eventually building a house on it. (Land zoned as "building land", not farmland.) I have a couple of friends who may have similar ambitions as well.

Does anyone know of a bank or credit coop in Taidong that is willing to give mortgage loans to foreigners without a guarantor? (I already have a guarantor-free mortgage on an apartment in Taipei, but my bank here is only willing to give mortgages on houses, not purely land. They suggested that I inquire with a local 農會 (nonghui; farmers' association credit cooperatives).

If anyone has any experience in this regard, could you please share it?
Rotalsnart
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)

ORIGINAL POSTER
76 Recommends(s)
60 Recognized(s)

Re: Bank or coop willing to lend to foreigners in Taidong?

Postby sleepingtiger » 11 Mar 2011, 15:35

I live in Taidong and last year went to a bank to see if I qualified for a loan. I was interested in buying a house, and I had 50% of the purchase price in cash.
I was told NO... I was told banks only lend money on houses less than 25 years old. Also I'm not Taiwanese. Although the banker did say, if I could get the house seller
to gaurantee me, it could be considered. I thought fat chance there. I thought I could use the house itself as collateral. The bank still wasn't interested. Farmland has no value to the banks. Here in
Taidong county, the courts are FULL of forclosures. The banks have lost too many times. good luck and save your money.
sleepingtiger
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

5 Recognized(s)

Postby finley » 11 Mar 2011, 15:55

I've come across the same attitude, although it makes no economic sense whatsoever; land has collateral value, the houses on them do not (especially the way they build them in Taiwan - that's why they have the 25 year rule, I imagine).

Incidentally, I believe you are allowed to build a house on up to 10% of land zoned as farmland. Hence the ugly concrete apartments appearing near the Danshui river near where I live with the building permit board specifying "agricultural buildings".
"Global warming is happening and we KNOW that man is 100 percent responsible!!!"
- Fred Smith
Forumosan avatar
finley
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)

781 Recommends(s)
601 Recognized(s)

Postby Belgian Pie » 11 Mar 2011, 16:00

If you have at least 750 ping, two years wait time before construction begins ...
Belgian Pie
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1 Recommends(s)
65 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Proceed to Legal Issues in Real Estate & Housing