Neighbor's A/C is facing my balcony at a distance of 125cm

Can a foreigner buy...? Can a foreigner rent...? What about deposits? Bad neighbors? Unreasonable landlords? Miscellaneous problems?
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Neighbor's A/C is facing my balcony at a distance of 125cm

Postby karmaGfa » 12 Jul 2010, 16:19

My neighbor's A/C is preventing us from sleeping. It is facing the side of my balcony at a distance of 125 cm (distance between the back part where the heat goes out to the wall of the balcony). Is it legal? Where can I find the minimum distance in the law texts? What service should I call to make this nightmare stop?
Forumosan avatar
karmaGfa
May you enjoy a lifetime of prosperity (de zhěng gè shēng mìng fù yǒu)

ORIGINAL POSTER
4 Recommends(s)
1 Recognized(s)

Re: Neighbor's A/C is facing my balcony at a distance of 125

Postby redwagon » 12 Jul 2010, 16:46

Bad situation. My gut feeling is you are going to end up moving.

Perhaps if you stumbled and tripped while carrying a broom handle or similar it would puncture the condenser or the fan and it wouldn't work anymore. It'd be a shame of course, but you'd have your peace and quiet. :whistle:

If you own the property you might want to go to the Lichang first as he might be able to help negotiate with the offender to move the a/c. If you are renting, tell your landlord you will move out if you can't sleep at night and he will have some incentive to help you.

Of course you could contact the EPA, but you would have to be 100% sure the a/c is going to be running when you arrange for them to come check. They don't just believe you about the noise and they won't want to come back a second time to hear a noise that isn't there when they show up. If you can do that, the EPA inspector will check for noise with an SPL meter and make a note of the source. Then you have to keep chasing them that they issue a notice to the offender, and that they follow through with threats of fines etc. until it actually gets moved.

Chances are the neighbor is better connected than you are and all your complaints will go nowhere. Win or lose your neighbors will gang up on you and make your life so intolerable that you move away. If you go to anyone and complain about the noise, no-one will believe it was an accident when you trip with that broom handle in your hand. :wink:
Signature censored.
redwagon
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)

1 Recommends(s)
9 Recognized(s)

Postby Tazzie » 12 Jul 2010, 16:51

karmaGfa wrote:My neighbor's A/C is preventing us from sleeping. It is facing the side of my balcony at a distance of 125 cm (distance between the back part where the heat goes out to the wall of the balcony). Is it legal? Where can I find the minimum distance in the law texts? What service should I call to make this nightmare stop?

I assume you have tried working this out with the offending party(ies), correct?
Forumosan avatar
Tazzie
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

2 Recommends(s)
1 Recognized(s)

Postby Incubus » 12 Jul 2010, 16:56

Look on the bright side, you can hang your laundry in front of the AC and use it as a free clothes dryer.
Incubus
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)

12 Recommends(s)
35 Recognized(s)

Postby karmaGfa » 12 Jul 2010, 17:21

We have already tried working with the neighbors, with no result. The A/C is still there and they still use it at any time of the night or the day.

Their A/C also have other problems:
- Very old, became really noise.
- No water pipe, you can ear the water falling down every second when they use it.
Forumosan avatar
karmaGfa

ORIGINAL POSTER
4 Recommends(s)
1 Recognized(s)

Postby Tazzie » 12 Jul 2010, 17:24

You could offer to fix the AC for them.
Forumosan avatar
Tazzie

2 Recommends(s)
1 Recognized(s)

Postby karmaGfa » 12 Jul 2010, 17:26

I already offered them to pay half the price for replacing it by a new, quiet one. Nothing changed.
Forumosan avatar
karmaGfa

ORIGINAL POSTER
4 Recommends(s)
1 Recognized(s)

Postby redwagon » 12 Jul 2010, 17:27

karmaGfa wrote:- No water pipe, you can ear the water falling down every second when they use it.

EPA can fine them for this. No condensate is supposed to fall from an a/c. If you've already warned them by discussion, then next step is whoever has power over them. Talk to your Lichang or have your landlord do that, or call the EPA in. If they run the a/c all the time it's easier for you to arrange the EPA to visit while it's running.
Signature censored.
redwagon

1 Recommends(s)
9 Recognized(s)

Postby Tazzie » 12 Jul 2010, 17:30

karmaGfa wrote:I already offered them to pay half the price for replacing it by a new, quiet one. Nothing changed.

They sound like lovely people. Sorry for your troubles.
Forumosan avatar
Tazzie

2 Recommends(s)
1 Recognized(s)

Postby sandman » 12 Jul 2010, 17:37

Redwagon has it right. I recently had an altercation with the hotel down my alley when their kitchen extractor worked itself loose and started sounding like a jet engine when it started up, descending to the noise of a diesel train engine when running to speed. They'd fire that puppy up for the breakfast service -- 6am. Phone calls, visits to management, etc., by the wife had no effect whatever. Then one day at 6 I snapped and stormed over there in my flappy old boxer shorts with my knob showing through the fly, hair touseled and clutching a baseball bat and basically just ranting at the desk manager in front of a just alighted coachload of bemused Chinese tourists.
The thing was switched off within two minutes and replaced the following day.
But the difference is, they were actually TRYING to help. God knows what would have happened if they'd told us to fuck off and mind our business.
Be careful.
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)

28 Recommends(s)
199 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to Legal Issues in Real Estate & Housing