Scouting locations at altitude to buy land: suggestions?

Can a foreigner buy...? Can a foreigner rent...? What about deposits? Bad neighbors? Unreasonable landlords? Miscellaneous problems?
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Scouting locations at altitude to buy land: suggestions?

Postby Taffy » 05 Jan 2011, 13:52

In the future I would like to pick up a parcel of land to build a house in the hills (don't have the funds yet, but doesn't hurt to start looking around). My requirements are as follows:

1. Average of 10 degrees cooler than Taipei City (so I'm assuming this means at least 1,000 metres in elevation). Ideally somewhere I can sit out in the summer without sweating my shirt through in five minutes.
2. Safe from landslides.
3. Within two hours of Taipei (the closer the better, but I know I have to be realistic here).

I would be able to buy building land (建地) or farmland (農地). Are there any locations out there which fit this bill?
Taffy
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)

ORIGINAL POSTER
104 Recommends(s)
49 Recognized(s)

Re: Scouting locations at altitude to buy land: suggestions?

Postby cranky laowai » 05 Jan 2011, 14:24

Miaoli County is unjustly overlooked by many. Lots of nice places there within about two hours of Taibei. You may not be able to buy land in the mountains, as much of it belongs to various tribes. But you should be able to secure a long-term lease (e.g., 99 years). I think that's how much of Tai'an has been developed.
Forumosan avatar
cranky laowai
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)

37 Recommends(s)
41 Recognized(s)

Postby Mucha Man » 05 Jan 2011, 14:35

I was also thinking Miaoli, more around Nanzhuang though as Taian is very prone to landslides.

1000m up is going to make finding a non-landslide prone area difficult. At least in terms of reliable road access. I'm sure there are lots of stable bits of land, but the roads in are often washed out.

The gov is supposed to put out a report in the coming years on all the unstable geological parts of Taiwan. I would wait to see this before getting my heart set on any area.

If you are willing to lower your sights to 400-500m you have all the hills around taipei: Maokong, Shiding, Pingxi and even Pinglin. They can be much more comfortable in summer than the city.
“Everywhere else in the world is also really old” said Prof. Liu, a renowned historian at Beijing University. “We always learn that China has 5000 years of cultural heritage, and that therefore we are very special. It appears that other places also have some of this heritage stuff. And are also old. Like, really old.”

http://hikingintaiwan.blogspot.com/
Forumosan avatar
Mucha Man
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

802 Recognized(s)

Postby Icon » 05 Jan 2011, 14:56

My neighbors have a very Swiss looking chalet in Xinchu. Cool beyond cool.
"Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante". Mafalda

"Nice guy? Who gives a shit? If you want to work here, close."
Forumosan avatar
Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

705 Recommends(s)
564 Recognized(s)

Postby Belgian Pie » 05 Jan 2011, 15:40

Paling ...
Belgian Pie
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

2 Recommends(s)
79 Recognized(s)

Postby Taffy » 05 Jan 2011, 15:46

Thanks for the input. Muzha Man makes a good point about access roads. Going closer in to Taipei has its benefits, but costs go up dramatically too.
Taffy

ORIGINAL POSTER
104 Recommends(s)
49 Recognized(s)

Postby headhonchoII » 05 Jan 2011, 15:51

Taoyuan County, Hsinchu, Miaoli...lots of locations. Miaoli is probably cheaper than the other two. Depends where you want to build really.
I can remember the fourth of July runnin' through the backwood bare.
And I can still hear my old hound dog barkin' chasin' down a hoodoo there
Chasin' down a hoodoo there.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1718 Recommends(s)
622 Recognized(s)

Postby pizzaon » 13 May 2011, 12:51

website for landslide alerts: http://246.swcb.gov.tw/default-2.asp
你娘卡好啦, 我叫的是腰仔吃到的是睪丸, 幹.
pizzaon
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Proceed to Legal Issues in Real Estate & Housing