Why I don't treadmill :)

Fun & Games is the place to have fun, be humorous, or get silly. Got a joke or a funny link to share? Fun & Games is the place for it. It is also home of the Game Club.

Why I don't treadmill :)

Postby tommy525 » 31 Mar 2012, 14:24

http://now.msn.com/living/0327-ultimate ... fails.aspx

and neither should you :P

unless you are knowledgeable bout whats not to do that is.
Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

ORIGINAL POSTER
607 Recommends(s)
376 Recognized(s)

Re: Why I don't treadmill :)

Postby superking » 31 Mar 2012, 14:37

Some serious runners I know swear by treadmills. I find them artificial and weird to use. All you have to do is pick your feet up and the ground moves underneath you. I don't think it is the same as running in that instance as you are not using muscles to propel yourself forwards, you are using muscles to keep you where you are. Plus a decent outdoor run will get your senses stimulated. On my daily canal run I see/hear/smell people with dogs, people fishing, canal boats, people at work, people arguing, drinking, smoking ganja, and wildfowl such ducks, geese and herons. I saw a big white goose the other day with blue trimmed feathers and it was MA HOOSIVE! So many great things.

There are two issues with the canal run and the outdoor run in general. 1) Cyclists. You can't go doing 25-30 miles an hour on a public foot path, one side of which borders a metal fence, the other of which borders a giant filthy sluice of skanky water and animal shit. They tut and grumble when they have to slow down for you. 2) The run/nod/wave culture. Some runners when out like to lift a hand to say hello, or smile appreciatively at a fellow nutcase out slugging the miles when they could be out chugging a beer. Some even say a brief 'hi.' Then there are those who are staunchly opposed to this form of interaction with a fellow runner. They look at you with scorn or derision. The funny thing is, you never know which type the next person along the path is going to be. Me I'm a nod and smile kind of a guy. I'm suspicious of those who don't want to return the gesture. They shouldn't be allowed to run with all us super nice people. :wink:
There are millions of people in the world. And none of those people is an extra. They're all leads in their own stories.

If you lose one sense, your other senses are enhanced. That's why people with no sense of humour have an increased sense of self-importance.
superking
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)

93 Recommends(s)
340 Recognized(s)

Postby tommy525 » 31 Mar 2012, 14:59

I agree, I don't think the treadmill is the same as running on a road. However, one shouldnt run at all, its not good for joints. Best to just walk briskly they say. And of course pick some place safe and with some beauty to behold. Thats why i prefer walking the berkeley college campus if given a choice. Safe and LOTS of beauty to behold :P
Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

ORIGINAL POSTER
607 Recommends(s)
376 Recognized(s)

Postby Artemis » 31 Mar 2012, 23:00

Well I wouldn't run on a treadmill and don't like roads, dirt is your friend if you like your joints.
But cycling and pogosticking on a treadmill.... now thats where you have to salute the stupidity of mankind.
Artemis
Grasshopper (cǎo měng)

Postby antarcticbeech » 01 Apr 2012, 12:44

Not sure what the dude with the pogo stick was thinking.
X
Forumosan avatar
antarcticbeech
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)

162 Recommends(s)
161 Recognized(s)

Postby superking » 01 Apr 2012, 14:35

antarcticbeech wrote:Not sure what the dude with the pogo stick was thinking.

He was thinking treadmill + pogo = AWESOME! He hadn't considered: treadmill + pogo = internet fail sensation.

Or maybe he had.....
There are millions of people in the world. And none of those people is an extra. They're all leads in their own stories.

If you lose one sense, your other senses are enhanced. That's why people with no sense of humour have an increased sense of self-importance.
superking

93 Recommends(s)
340 Recognized(s)

Postby bismarck » 10 Apr 2012, 10:17

Artemis wrote:Well I wouldn't run on a treadmill and don't like roads, dirt is your friend if you like your joints.
But cycling and pogosticking on a treadmill.... now thats where you have to salute the stupidity of mankind.

Not bad. But I still prefer videos of Canadians and their skateboards and the creative ways they come up with to face plant.
World Champions 1995, 2007; Tri-Nations champions 1998, 2004, 2009; Grand Slam Champions 1912/13, 1931/32, 1951/52, 1960/61; Defeated British & Irish Lions 1903, 1924, 1938, 1962, 1968, 1980, 2009
Super 14 Champions 2007, 2009, 2010
Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy and the lash.
Sir Winston Churchill

Second of all, as in all honeymoons, all is well until it is not. It is until the unexpected happens that you will see all grievances surface -ask anyone in any relationship. The girl can chew with her mouth open, that if you love her, you do not care. If you do not lover her, if her pinkie toe is half an inch deviant, the relationship is doomed. - Icon
Forumosan avatar
bismarck
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

150 Recommends(s)
143 Recognized(s)

Postby PigBloodCake » 04 May 2012, 16:26

bismarck wrote:
Artemis wrote:Well I wouldn't run on a treadmill and don't like roads, dirt is your friend if you like your joints.

Not bad. But I still prefer videos of Canadians and their skateboards and the creative ways they come up with to face plant.

Here ya go:

Instant sterilization :lol:
Life is a bitch and death is her sister.

I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell.
PigBloodCake
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)

9 Recommends(s)
27 Recognized(s)

Postby finley » 04 May 2012, 17:23

To earn a crust, I design the electronics that go into treadmills, and I can confirm that a small amount of evil is carefully packaged inside. However, it is less than it used to be because of global resource shortages, especially since China is now stockpiling evil to meet domestic demand.
"Global warming is happening and we KNOW that man is 100 percent responsible!!!"
- Fred Smith
Forumosan avatar
finley
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)

858 Recommends(s)
657 Recognized(s)

Postby Formosa Fitness » 05 May 2012, 09:12

finley wrote:To earn a crust, I design the electronics that go into treadmills, and I can confirm that a small amount of evil is carefully packaged inside. However, it is less than it used to be because of global resource shortages, especially since China is now stockpiling evil to meet domestic demand.

Can I ask you a question then? A lot of people just hit "start" and start walking or running and then figure they burned off the amount of calories the machine says. But without individual stats like weight, age, etc. being plugged in, it seems that amount must be off for many people. How is the calorie count approximated in basic mode?

Thanks!
We are a foreign owned and operated full service gym in Taipei specializing in serious fitness. Check us out: http://formosafitness.com/
Forumosan avatar
Formosa Fitness
Fried Chicken-Parts Vendor (yán sū jī xiǎofàn)
Fried Chicken-Parts Vendor (yán sū jī xiǎofàn)

98 Recommends(s)
33 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to Fun & Games