Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Guild Wars 2, anyone?

Fun & Games is the place to have fun, be humorous, or get silly. Got a joke or a funny link to share? Fun & Games is the place for it. It is also home of the Game Club.

Re: Guild Wars 2, anyone?

Postby Blaquesmith » 05 Oct 2012, 09:02

Reaperjim wrote:I got it yesterday and am loving it. The way they handle questing and character development is great. It's all very fresh and un-WOW. I love the fact that in PvP its not gear based and you start with equal gear, continue with equal gear and play just for Glory and cosmetic stuff.

I''m not a PVP-oriented player, but the PvE is great. I have one character at level 71 and another one at level 40-something, and I'm loving the possibilities. Each one of them is with a different order of Tyria, and from different races (an Asura and a Sylvari), and the storyline is quite different.

If I had to complain, I'd say that efficiently crafting requires an insane amount of raw materials (which you have to get by killing lots of enemies, mining, cutting down trees or simply buying them in the Black Lion market, which requires that you have enough gold, which requires...)

Anyways, the game is great, very cooperative, most of the players are nice people (right, They revive you for earning xP, but, who cares) and the dynamic events are great. I helped defeat a HUGE undead dragon yesterday, and even when I was only doing support, I got my share of the action. It was great.

"Roda el món i torna al Born!" - famous saying from Barcelona.
Blaquesmith
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }
In Taiwan since: 08 Aug 2012

Postby Reaperjim » 11 Oct 2012, 15:19

This game is blowing me away at the moment. I am only level twelve, but I am loving the fact that:

A: You only have 14 abilities on your belt and can't switch them out unless they are off cooldown AND you are out of combat.

B: You can be revived by anyone as long as they aren't hit.

C: There is no healbot role to be had, and support is instead a much more varied role than in WOW.

D: The server community is so laid back, and yet willing to have a go at anything without rage quitting.

E: A tank is non-essential.

I think a lot of these design choices regarding role is that a tank or healer has too much sway over a group and could threaten to quit if they didn't get what they want. The fact that anyone can do anything to a certain extent now, means that people are less likely to be dropped just because an egotistical dick wants gear. It just seems fairer. I love this game!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
Madam Speaker said,
Reaperjim
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)

Postby Reaperjim » 11 Oct 2012, 15:20

This game is blowing me away at the moment. I am only level twelve, but I am loving the fact that:

A: You only have 14 abilities on your belt and can't switch them out unless they are off cooldown AND you are out of combat.

B: You can be revived by anyone as long as they aren't hit.

C: There is no healbot role to be had, and support is instead a much more varied role than in WOW.

D: The server community is so laid back, and yet willing to have a go at anything without rage quitting.

E: A tank is non-essential.

I think a lot of these design choices regarding role is that a tank or healer has too much sway over a group and could threaten to quit if they didn't get what they want. The fact that anyone can do anything to a certain extent now, means that people are less likely to be dropped just because an egotistical dick wants gear. It just seems fairer. I love this game!

Madam Speaker said,
Reaperjim

Postby Blaquesmith » 15 Oct 2012, 09:33

I completely agree. The fact that anyone can heal you (and that reviving other players gives HP) makes it much more cooperative than other previous MMORPG. Besides, the fact that everyone who contributed to a kill gets their share of the drop/XP makes this "you had/didn't have any drops/XP" totally pointless. If I'm killing a guy and someone wants to step in, they're more than welcome.

People actually ask for backup when in-game, to take out difficult bosses/clear up events.

It's really nice, really.
"Roda el món i torna al Born!" - famous saying from Barcelona.
Blaquesmith

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }
In Taiwan since: 08 Aug 2012

Postby Reaperjim » 15 Oct 2012, 14:51

For any of you guys interested in the maximizing you effectiveness as a player, I did some reading up on ability combos. I didn't even realize they were there until a few days ago.

Many abilities, even cross class abilities, have field effects that give huge buffs / debuffs when combined with a finisher. For example, my engineer's flame turret overloads to produce a blindness effect that I can use to create a kind of stealth buff when I use a particular ability that has an explosive combo effect.

This stuff really encourages you to cooperate with others whose abilities can complement your own.
I am sure most of you know this, but if you don't, experiment with it.

Madam Speaker said,
Reaperjim

Postby Il Ðoge » 08 Jun 2015, 01:01

I feel like seeing if this game will run on my mac, anyone in TW still playing this?
Il Ðoge
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

In Taiwan since: 01 Apr 2015

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Previous

Return to Fun & Games