Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

A Math Problem From Singapore Goes Viral: When Is Cheryl’s Birthday?

Fun & Games is the place to have fun, be humorous, or get silly. Got a joke or a funny link to share? Fun & Games is the place for it. It is also home of the Game Club.

A Math Problem From Singapore Goes Viral: When Is Cheryl’s Birthday?

Postby Tempo Gain » 15 Apr 2015, 02:18

"Being alive is the meaning." -- Joseph Campbell

"Well I don't guess it has to be, but that's the way we like it." -- Roger Waters

There's only one thing left for me to do momma I gotta ding a ding dang my dang a long ling long
Tempo Gain
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Re: A Math Problem From Singapore Goes Viral: When Is Cheryl’s Birthday?

Postby Blaquesmith » 15 Apr 2015, 08:00

I remember that my math teacher at school was specially fond of logic problems, and each week he would give us a couple to solve.

For example:

You have 10 crates of gold coins that were salvaged from an old shipwreck. All crates have the same appearance and the coins look exactly the same. However, one of the crates has been swapped by a cunning thief and all the coins in that crate are almost perfect replicas.

The only difference between the replicas and the true thing is 0.01 grams: the good ones weight is 10g, and the bad ones 9.99g.

In order to find out the thief, you have a one-plate digital scale that works as follows: you load the plate, you press a button, and it gives you the weight of what was in the plate in the instant you pressed the button. You also have a felt-tip marker.

The solution here is finding out which crate is the fake one, which seems pretty obvious.

However, the big price is for the person that can find out which one is the fake using the scale as few times as possible.

Solution:
Spoiler: show
The best answer is that you only need to use the scale once.

You use the marker to assign a number to each crate, you pick as many coins from each crate as its number, and write the number on them.
Then you gather all the coins together and weigh them. The number of centigrams missing will give you the number of the fake box.
"Roda el món i torna al Born!" - famous saying from Barcelona.
Blaquesmith
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)

In Taiwan since: 08 Aug 2012

Re: A Math Problem From Singapore Goes Viral: When Is Cheryl’s Birthday?

Postby Abacus » 15 Apr 2015, 10:07

I had to think about Cheryl's birthday for 15-20 minutes the other night while I was blogging. There's a moment when the lightbulb goes off and it gets easy. I think these are good for kids to work on but I don't like how much they are incorporated into HW and tests.
Abacus
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Return to Fun & Games