Taipei Chess Club - Wednesdays

Fun & Games is the place to have fun, be humorous, or get silly. Got a joke or a funny link to share? Fun & Games is the place for it. It is also home of the Game Club.

Re: Taipei Chess Club - Wednesdays

Postby Betelnut » 01 Jul 2011, 19:10

Tapani, I like to play other games on Wednesday because we are already competing in tournaments all the time playing standard chess, so it's a nice change. If Wednesday is the only chance people have to play some real chess, then the standard game is always available.

heimuoshu, I've been waiting for you to get back.

Btw, where's Carl?? He showed up once and beat some people's brains in and I haven't seen him since. If you're reading this Carl, at least a couple of the new people who came this week seem like pretty decent players, so I hope you can make it back. Plus, we will have some stronger Xiangqi players for you to relive your days in mainland China.

I originally designed the club so that people from different backgrounds could learn to play each other games, but it's been mostly Western Chess so far.
Betelnut
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
 
Posts: 296
ORIGINAL POSTER
Joined: 20 Apr 2005, 09:11
10 Recognized(s)



Re: Taipei Chess Club - Wednesdays

Postby Tapani » 03 Jul 2011, 22:43

Betelnut wrote:Tapani, I like to play other games on Wednesday because we are already competing in tournaments all the time playing standard chess, so it's a nice change. If Wednesday is the only chance people have to play some real chess, then the standard game is always available.

Ooooh. What tournaments are there, and where do you play? Googled (in English) for organized chess in Taipei area once I arrived here, but could not find anything.
Forumosan avatar
Tapani
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)
 
Posts: 39
Joined: 07 Apr 2011, 17:44
1 Recognized(s)



Re: Taipei Chess Club - Wednesdays

Postby Betelnut » 04 Jul 2011, 00:52

http://taipeichessclub.com/

Here is one club. There is also Chase Chess academy on He Ping E. Rd.

Through these clubs, you can find out about national tournaments or more informal tournaments.

This information is all on the FB group. Please join the FB group if you want the latest information on chess in general in Taipei.

Tapani wrote:
Betelnut wrote:Tapani, I like to play other games on Wednesday because we are already competing in tournaments all the time playing standard chess, so it's a nice change. If Wednesday is the only chance people have to play some real chess, then the standard game is always available.

Ooooh. What tournaments are there, and where do you play? Googled (in English) for organized chess in Taipei area once I arrived here, but could not find anything.
Betelnut
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
 
Posts: 296
ORIGINAL POSTER
Joined: 20 Apr 2005, 09:11
10 Recognized(s)



Re: Taipei Chess Club - Wednesdays

Postby Betelnut » 05 Jul 2011, 20:57

Tomorrow Wednesday at 6:30, we'll meet at KGB Burger if you're having dinner.

Shi-Da Rd. Lane 114 No. 5 (cross street is Roosevelt Rd.)

Afterwards, we'll play on the 2F of Burger King just down the road.

JB's is closing, so we'll meet there tomorrow until we settle on a location.
Betelnut
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
 
Posts: 296
ORIGINAL POSTER
Joined: 20 Apr 2005, 09:11
10 Recognized(s)



Re: Taipei Chess Club - Wednesdays

Postby Dr. McCoy » 05 Jul 2011, 21:53

Betelnut wrote:JB's is closing, so we'll meet there tomorrow until we settle on a location.

Do you mean going out of business closing?
Forumosan avatar
Dr. McCoy
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)
 
Posts: 10298
Joined: 11 Oct 2007, 12:41
Location: New Taipei City, Yonghe District
146 Recommends(s)
95 Recognized(s)



Re: Taipei Chess Club - Wednesdays

Postby Betelnut » 05 Jul 2011, 22:08

No, just closing for a while. They may open back up a few months later at a different location.

Dr. McCoy wrote:
Betelnut wrote:JB's is closing, so we'll meet there tomorrow until we settle on a location.

Do you mean going out of business closing?
Betelnut
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
 
Posts: 296
ORIGINAL POSTER
Joined: 20 Apr 2005, 09:11
10 Recognized(s)



Re: Taipei Chess Club - Wednesdays

Postby Betelnut » 06 Jul 2011, 23:45

Next Wednesday at 7 P.M., we're moving to the new Starbucks on Shi-Da Rd. No. 74 in the basement or B1. Cross street is Yunhe St. They have long tables down there large enough to play chess on. 師大雲和門市. It's halfway between Roosevelt Rd. and He-Ping E. Rd on Shi-Da Rd. next to Evans Burger across from the night market.
Betelnut
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
 
Posts: 296
ORIGINAL POSTER
Joined: 20 Apr 2005, 09:11
10 Recognized(s)



Re: Taipei Chess Club - Wednesdays

Postby Dr. McCoy » 07 Jul 2011, 00:19

Can you drink beer there?
Forumosan avatar
Dr. McCoy
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)
 
Posts: 10298
Joined: 11 Oct 2007, 12:41
Location: New Taipei City, Yonghe District
146 Recommends(s)
95 Recognized(s)



Re: Taipei Chess Club - Wednesdays

Postby Betelnut » 08 Jul 2011, 11:22

I would suggest against bringing your own beverages to a coffee shop. Moving to Starbucks will not suit the beer drinking crowd, but I need a venue with tables and proper lighting.

Dr. McCoy wrote:Can you drink beer there?
Betelnut
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
 
Posts: 296
ORIGINAL POSTER
Joined: 20 Apr 2005, 09:11
10 Recognized(s)



Re: Taipei Chess Club - Wednesdays

Postby Chaon » 08 Jul 2011, 11:47

Betelnut wrote:Btw, where's Carl?? He showed up once and beat some people's brains in and I haven't seen him since. If you're reading this Carl, at least a couple of the new people who came this week seem like pretty decent players, so I hope you can make it back. Plus, we will have some stronger Xiangqi players for you to relive your days in mainland China.


Karl needs an outdoor chess venue, which just isn't practical in the summer. I hope to catch you guys again in the Fall.

Next Wednesday at 7 P.M., we're moving to the new Starbucks on Shi-Da Rd. No. 74 in the basement or B1. Cross street is Yunhe St. They have long tables down there large enough to play chess on.


You may want to confirm with the management of that particular location that chess is ok. There have been some problems at Starbucks in the past (Which I only know about from reading here. Don't remember when it was.)
Chaon
Fried Chicken-Parts Vendor (yán sū jī xiǎofàn)
Fried Chicken-Parts Vendor (yán sū jī xiǎofàn)
 
Posts: 905
Joined: 26 Feb 2004, 14:35
Location: Taichunghe
7 Recommends(s)
19 Recognized(s)



FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext




Proceed to Fun & Games



Who is online

Forumosans browsing this forum: No Forumosans and 2 visitors

Who well lives, long lives; for this age of ours should not be numbered by years, days, and hours -- Guillaume de Salluste Du Bartas, Divine Weeks and Works, 1578