Sanctuary being torn down. We need your help!!! - click here for details
You can also visit TheSanctuaryTaiwan.org - click here to go to their contact page

What are you watching? (Film edition)

This is the place for discussion of films, books, movies and TV shows, etc. A & E topics related to Taiwan or China should be posted in the Culture & History Forum.

Moderator: Rockefeller

Re: Moving Pictures: The 2012 Edition

Postby elektronisk » 06 Jul 2012, 04:32

Bu Lai En wrote:Imaginary Witness: Hollywood and the Holocaust (2004) Holocaust films are so apt to be awful ('Schindlers List' and 'The Pianist' being prime examples) that I wasn't expecting this to be very good, but it was an excellent treatment of the subject, and perhaps even more interestingly Hollywood's treatment (or lack thereof) of Hitler's rise to power at the time. Excellent film history indeed.

Babel (2006) An interesting ensemble film showing tangentially inter-related events with an over-riding theme in a similar, but better, way to the film 'Crash' (which I thought not nearly as bad as a lot of people make out). This time the theme was communication, and its failure, shown through families and children in three different countries. Well worth a watch.

You said what many wanted to.

And in addition, I'm searching for Babel now. Thanks.
"We are only here briefly, and in this moment I want to allow myself joy." - Her

There is a truth and it's on our side,
Dawn is coming , open your eyes - José González

Make love your goal, not your gaol.
A wise man can learn more from himself than he could learn from anyone else, if only he seeks and listens.
Afar isn't as bad as it sounds, it is the longevity of it that hurts.
Smile and make others feel happy today.
Opinion is underrated since it is too difficult for most and not understood by the rest.
Forumosan avatar
elektronisk
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)

61 Recommends(s)
35 Recognized(s)

Postby Rockefeller » 07 Jul 2012, 00:56

Titanic was on tv. Saw it with my sister. We came in midway thru but it still almost made me tear and my sister cried like a baby. Amazing. :thumbsup:
Forumosan avatar
Rockefeller
Night Market Cop (yè shì tiáo zi)
Night Market Cop (yè shì tiáo zi)

70 Recognized(s)

Postby elektronisk » 07 Jul 2012, 05:49

Rockefeller wrote:Titanic was on tv. Saw it with my sister. We came in midway thru but it still almost made me tear and my sister cried like a baby. Amazing. :thumbsup:

Ok, you win, for now...

Parody be benign but unto Hegemon tis a curse.

:wink:
"We are only here briefly, and in this moment I want to allow myself joy." - Her

A wise man can learn more from himself than he could learn from anyone else, if only he seeks and listens.
Opinion is underrated since it is too difficult for most and not understood by the rest.
Forumosan avatar
elektronisk

61 Recommends(s)
35 Recognized(s)

Re: Upcoming Movies (2012)

Postby 914 » 07 Jul 2012, 14:45

Ok, this exhausted mama would like to shut her brain off for a few hrs during naptime. Dont want to do any thinking, just want to eat popcorn and watch eye candy in the form of muscular, oiled up, body hairless young things who can move.

Where can i catch magic mike at 2 pm on a weekday?
Messages are sent from my iPad so if you find any errors, you may keep them. Myspacebarhasissues.
Forumosan avatar

Location: YVR to SFO to TPE; Now in semi-retirement in Sky Mother
35 Recommends(s)
37 Recognized(s)

Postby Icon » 07 Jul 2012, 15:03

914 wrote:Ok, this exhausted mama would like to shut her brain off for a few hrs during naptime. Dont want to do any thinking, just want to eat popcorn and watch eye candy in the form of muscular, oiled up, body hairless young things who can move.

Watch Supernatural, dear, that's what I do. :D
"Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante". Mafalda

"Nice guy? Who gives a shit? If you want to work here, close."
Forumosan avatar
Icon
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

633 Recommends(s)
502 Recognized(s)

Postby elektronisk » 07 Jul 2012, 15:07

914 wrote:Ok, this exhausted mama would like to shut her brain off for a few hrs during naptime. Dont want to do any thinking, just want to eat popcorn and watch eye candy in the form of muscular, oiled up, body hairless young things who can move.

Where is the chief when you need him?

back on topic:

um. my place?

Volleyball is a misnomer if you can't return the serve.

Forumosan avatar
elektronisk

61 Recommends(s)
35 Recognized(s)

Postby Icon » 08 Jul 2012, 00:09

:noway: Yep, they are playing Titanic on heavy rotation -how they manage that with ads and stuff, I dunno, and I am not watching to see what/if they cut.

I recommend you guys and gals taking the kids to see Brave. It is a beautiful movie with enough sentiment and originality to be enjoyed by a wide audience.
"Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante". Mafalda

"Nice guy? Who gives a shit? If you want to work here, close."
Forumosan avatar
Icon
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

633 Recommends(s)
502 Recognized(s)

Postby elektronisk » 08 Jul 2012, 06:08

Bu Lai En wrote:Babel (2006) An interesting ensemble film showing tangentially inter-related events with an over-riding theme in a similar, but better, way to the film 'Crash' (which I thought not nearly as bad as a lot of people make out). This time the theme was communication, and its failure, shown through families and children in three different countries. Well worth a watch.

And once again from the master of understatement. Thanks. Makes me remember why I read this thing. :notworthy:

Don't let the 2:30 put you off. The first hour is tough but a lot of the last 1.5 is classic film.

Overall, speechless is the word that comes to mind.

Forumosan avatar
elektronisk

61 Recommends(s)
35 Recognized(s)

Postby Bu Lai En » 08 Jul 2012, 13:23

elektronisk wrote:
Bu Lai En wrote:Babel (2006) An interesting ensemble film showing tangentially inter-related events with an over-riding theme in a similar, but better, way to the film 'Crash' (which I thought not nearly as bad as a lot of people make out). This time the theme was communication, and its failure, shown through families and children in three different countries. Well worth a watch.

And once again from the master of understatement. Thanks. Makes me remember why I read this thing. :notworthy:

Don't let the 2:30 put you off. The first hour is tough but a lot of the last 1.5 is classic film.

Overall, speechless is the word that comes to mind.

I'm glad you liked it then. I cetainly did, but I wasn't really sure if many others would. Now you should probably watch Amores Perros, if you haven't yet done so (and maybe 21 Grams - the three are a sort of a thematic trilogy by the director - but I haven't seen that, so can't really endorse it).
I have news. Good news from Notting Hill. The consignment of white gold for Mr Anderson has arrived.

http://theboolion.wordpress.com/ Image
Forumosan avatar
Bu Lai En
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)

15 Recognized(s)

Postby elektronisk » 08 Jul 2012, 16:14

Thanks for the heads up Bu Lai En. With a title like that it has to be good. Putting it in the top of my cue.

Along with this you get another thank you for adding more to my list to watch.

Forumosan avatar
elektronisk

61 Recommends(s)
35 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Arts & Entertainment