What Are You Reading? (2011)

This is the place for discussion of films, books, movies and TV shows, etc. A & E topics related to Taiwan or China should be posted in the Culture & History Forum.

Moderator: Rockefeller

Postby ImaniOU » 28 Jul 2007, 23:10

I finished a number of Dorling Kindersley books for kids, a few Horrible Histories books (Wicked Words and The Handbook on Pirates), (reread) The Great Gilly Hopkins, and The Schools Our Children Deserve. Still reading The Freedom Writers and Collapse. Starting Angelou's poetry book and Will They Ever Trust Us Again?. Oh and the children's magazines for July/August which have finally come in, although my issues for April, May, and June never made it. I am thoroughly pissed off about that.
"We're talking about Taiwanese media whose attention spans make your average goldfish look like the Amazing Kreskin."
- ImaniOU
Forumosan avatar
ImaniOU
Almost a God (jīhū shì shén)
Almost a God (jīhū shì shén)

Location: On Ihla Forumosa.com, waiting for the babelfish to kick in
2 Recommends(s)
6 Recognized(s)

Postby Jaboney » 02 Aug 2007, 15:19

Today I stumbled upon Kurt Vonnegut's "God Bless You, Dr. Kevorkian." (Blurb)
Originally written as short pieces for public radio, Kurt plays a reporter on the afterlife: repeatedly dying, under controlled conditions, and briefly interviewing the dead.

Wish I'd found this earlier. I wish there were more.

Vonnegut: "My epitaph in any case? 'Everything was beautiful. Nothing hurt.' I will have gotten off so light, whatever the heck it is that was going on."
Forumosan avatar
Jaboney
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

22 Recommends(s)
56 Recognized(s)

Postby jdsmith » 02 Aug 2007, 15:46

Alvin Toffler's Revolutionary Wealth.
Your warning level: [1]
Forumosan avatar
jdsmith
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

56 Recognized(s)

Postby urodacus » 02 Aug 2007, 17:07

Tim Flannery's "Weather Makers"

Latest in the Robert Jordan "Wheel of Time" series.

thousands of articles on things as diverse as ischemia/reperfusion injury in the retina, modification of grape polyphenol levels in grape seed oil, application of stem cells in spinal cord injury and stroke repair, comparison of mitochondrial gene sequences in the pig and implications thereof on pig movements in prehistory and recent times, role of cell fate proteins in position location in the fly embryo, cell adhesion proteins and glomerulonephritis, etc etc.
The prizes are a bottle of f*!@#$% SCOTCH and a box of cheap f!@#$#$ CIGARS!
Forumosan avatar
urodacus
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

189 Recommends(s)
242 Recognized(s)

Postby Jaboney » 02 Aug 2007, 17:14

urodacus wrote:Latest in the Robert Jordan "Wheel of Time" series.

I hope it's only the latest and not the last. He's not doing so well.
Forumosan avatar
Jaboney
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

22 Recommends(s)
56 Recognized(s)

Postby urodacus » 02 Aug 2007, 17:45

Book eleven! he says it should finish in book 12... fingers crossed. he's getting along much better than expected, but he really needed a better editor to force him to cut the crap and divergent waffling in books 5-9 that made life hard for him in terms of EVER being able to finish it, sick or not.

very enjoyable though, as it's so vast.
The prizes are a bottle of f*!@#$% SCOTCH and a box of cheap f!@#$#$ CIGARS!
Forumosan avatar
urodacus
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

189 Recommends(s)
242 Recognized(s)

Postby kate.lin » 04 Aug 2007, 00:21

I am reading Dick Francis's Wild Horses, a story about horse racing and murder and film-making. Nice story and good style. I learned that his stories are all about the theme of his series is horse racing. Which of his book is about horse racing, murder and painting?
kate.lin
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)

Postby djkonstable » 04 Aug 2007, 00:52

Alas, Babylon by Pat Frank: it is about a nuclear war and life after the world blows itself up. I am also reading Rainbow Six by Tom Clancey, interesting book so far.
Forumosan avatar
djkonstable
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)

2 Recommends(s)
1 Recognized(s)

Postby Jaboney » 13 Aug 2007, 19:34

Alan Weisman's The World Without Us. It's based on an interesting idea (what would happen to the physical environment should we humans instantly disappear), but often sloppy in execution. Stylistically, a bit clunky, like Jared Diamond's Guns, Germs, and Steel, but like that book, worthwhile.
Forumosan avatar
Jaboney
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

22 Recommends(s)
56 Recognized(s)

Postby kate.lin » 13 Aug 2007, 19:40

Jaboney wrote:Alan Weisman's The World Without Us. It's based on an interesting idea (what would happen to the physical environment should we humans instantly disappear), but often sloppy in execution. Stylistically, a bit clunky, like Jared Diamond's Guns, Germs, and Steel, but like that book, worthwhile.

Scientific American had an ariticle: 'An Earth Without People' on June 17, 2007. It's an inverview of Alan Weisman, interesting to read, too.
kate.lin

PreviousNext

Return to Arts & Entertainment