Sanctuary being torn down. We need your help!!! - click here for details
You can also visit TheSanctuaryTaiwan.org - click here to go to their contact page

December 8th.

This is the place for discussion of films, books, movies and TV shows, etc. A & E topics related to Taiwan or China should be posted in the Culture & History Forum.

Moderator: Rockefeller

Re: December 8th.

Postby milkalex » 08 Dec 2011, 17:25

I only know that christmas song from him..they play that in 7eleven..and the beatles..they are sooooooo old
milkalex
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)

7 Recommends(s)
11 Recognized(s)

Postby Dragonbones » 08 Dec 2011, 17:43

I think we're only about 4.7 degrees away from someone who actually slept with a Beatle.
Forumosan avatar
Dragonbones
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

39 Recommends(s)
98 Recognized(s)

Postby Nuit » 08 Dec 2011, 17:48

GuyInTaiwan wrote:Too bad if I'm pointing that out.

Too bad of you to choose this day to point your thoughts out. Something to consider - perhaps a thread re the anniversary of his murder wasn't the time or place.
It's raining again here. I'm rising up like a beautiful bubble to the surface.

A wicked wind whips up the hill, a handful of hopeful words.
I was what you would call seriously strung out.
Forumosan avatar
Nuit
Second Landlord (èr fáng dōng)
Second Landlord (èr fáng dōng)

73 Recommends(s)
92 Recognized(s)

Postby TainanCowboy » 08 Dec 2011, 18:16

Funk500 wrote:
tommy525 wrote:The Beatles were really truly awesome (except for Ringo Star who really dint amount to much except marry that NICE bond girl )
and help the PLO in their rise to prominence in the Middle East

...and they were never seen together on the same stage ... :ponder:
"Pardon him, Theodotus; he is a barbarian and thinks that the customs of his tribe and island are the laws of nature" --- "Caesar and Cleopatra"...G.B. Shaw
-----
Kid Rock - Born Free
-----
"The big sisters are usually hot, but the dads smell of alcohol and tobacco....and have dirty feet with dead toe nails in blue slippers. "...Bob_Honest on "The Culture"
------
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes
------
Isaiah 40:31
Forumosan avatar
TainanCowboy
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

103 Recommends(s)
49 Recognized(s)

Postby tommy525 » 08 Dec 2011, 18:20

TainanCowboy wrote:
Funk500 wrote:
tommy525 wrote:The Beatles were really truly awesome (except for Ringo Star who really dint amount to much except marry that NICE bond girl )
and help the PLO in their rise to prominence in the Middle East

...and they were never seen together on the same stage ... :ponder:

well I'll be danged !!! :lol:
Savage - what a nice performance

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMCMjEb68ds
Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

581 Recommends(s)
367 Recognized(s)

Postby Satellite TV » 08 Dec 2011, 23:04

sandman wrote:
milkalex wrote:what are the videos about? I can't watch youtube at work.. :(

John Lennon was shot dead on this day.

Oh well . Bye bye John Lennon then.
It's such a pleasure living in a world where everyone is in such a hurry to be outraged over someone else’s trivial comments
Forumosan avatar
Satellite TV
Entering Second Childhood (èrdù tóngnián qī)

Postby Satellite TV » 08 Dec 2011, 23:08

engerim wrote:Golda Meir also died on this day :doh:

PS. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/December_8

What an icon of history she was. I wish she'd been our prime minister.
It's such a pleasure living in a world where everyone is in such a hurry to be outraged over someone else’s trivial comments
Forumosan avatar
Satellite TV

Postby Tempo Gain » 08 Dec 2011, 23:14

GuyInTaiwan wrote:I am the egg man
Oh, they are the egg men
Oh, I am the walrus
Goo goo g'joob

Yeah!

This post was recommended by 2 Forumosans: jimipresley (08 Dec 2011, 23:17), tomthorne (08 Dec 2011, 23:17)
Rating: 11.76%
Forumosan avatar
Tempo Gain
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

292 Recommends(s)
295 Recognized(s)

Postby jimipresley » 08 Dec 2011, 23:17

I love that song! :thumbsup:
You can live here and have a great life and not be the least bit into living the local life. Clowns will try to diss you for it saying you gotta get down with the program, but fuck em, treat this place like a buffet and yous be on a diet. Take what you want and nothing extra, slam those oysters, but leave the bread sticks and dinner rolls behind. - Deuce Dropper

I'm much more of a nasty rotter in real life, especially with vapid or vacuous verbiage from the ill read & intellectually challenged. - TheGingerMan

Don't be a cheap cunt. - Deuce Dropper
Forumosan avatar
jimipresley
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

986 Recommends(s)
373 Recognized(s)

Postby superking » 09 Dec 2011, 01:33

Icon wrote:In the Internet/globalization era, how far do you have to go to find someone who has not heard of the Beatles? Matto Grosso?

I read that and I thought: Who the heck is Matto Grosso? I know some stuff. I mean, I know who Hayley Westenra is for cripes sake, but this Mr Grosso? So I google it and it's the third largest state in Brazil. Brazil has states? Matto is made of limestone? So who created the Simpsons? Oh right, Groening.

I was talking with a Brazillian earlier in the year and she said some sentence that included the name of the Brazillian prime minister/ president. Of course, I haven't a clue what the chaps name was or even is now, assuming it even is a chap. Yet she spoke as if this person should be universally known.

NOW... I am not defending GuyInTaiwan for wading in with his muddy boots and generally pissing the populace off with his ill timed observation, but there is something to be said for the phenomenon of thinking something is more popular or prevalent than is the reality. I'm not all that sure the whole world knows who Harry Redknapp is, but to me he is a God. Anyway... the phenomenon is real, it doesn't apply to John Lennon as EVERYONE knows who he is, and it's inappropriate to raise this issue in such a stick-in-the-eye way in a thread where people want to show him some reverence.

You the man Johnny Lennon. Wherever you are, enjoy! :)
There are millions of people in the world. And none of those people is an extra. They're all leads in their own stories.

If you lose one sense, your other senses are enhanced. That's why people with no sense of humour have an increased sense of self-importance.
superking
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)

87 Recommends(s)
323 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Arts & Entertainment