What are you watching? (Film edition)

This is the place for discussion of films, books, movies and TV shows, etc. A & E topics related to Taiwan or China should be posted in the Culture & History Forum.

Moderator: Rockefeller

Re: Moving Pictures: The 2012 Edition

Postby Bu Lai En » 24 Apr 2012, 15:04

bismarck wrote:
Bu Lai En wrote:Tsotsi (2005) A good South African drama about a young South African gangster thug in a slum of Jo'burg who reevaluates when he discovers a baby in the back of a car he's just jacked.

What did you think of it? I watched it when it came out and kinda liked it, but that was a while ago.

It was a good solid movie. Nothing that'd blow you away, but just well made cinema. Also, I always appreciate a film made in or about a culture that is different from what I usually see on the screen.
I have news. Good news from Notting Hill. The consignment of white gold for Mr Anderson has arrived.

http://theboolion.wordpress.com/ Image
Forumosan avatar
Bu Lai En
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)

15 Recognized(s)

Postby bismarck » 25 Apr 2012, 13:27

Bu Lai En wrote:
bismarck wrote:
Bu Lai En wrote:Tsotsi (2005) A good South African drama about a young South African gangster thug in a slum of Jo'burg who reevaluates when he discovers a baby in the back of a car he's just jacked.

What did you think of it? I watched it when it came out and kinda liked it, but that was a while ago.

It was a good solid movie. Nothing that'd blow you away, but just well made cinema. Also, I always appreciate a film made in or about a culture that is different from what I usually see on the screen.

Nice to hear you think so. :thumbsup:

It was interesting for me after a few years on the Wan to see South Africa from that perspective again, though. I loved it when his bespectacled friend said to him, "You're a Tsotsi. You have no decency." and how that sort of affected him through the movie. Good to hear you liked it. :)
World Champions 1995, 2007; Tri-Nations champions 1998, 2004, 2009; Grand Slam Champions 1912/13, 1931/32, 1951/52, 1960/61; Defeated British & Irish Lions 1903, 1924, 1938, 1962, 1968, 1980, 2009
Super 14 Champions 2007, 2009, 2010
Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy and the lash.
Sir Winston Churchill

Second of all, as in all honeymoons, all is well until it is not. It is until the unexpected happens that you will see all grievances surface -ask anyone in any relationship. The girl can chew with her mouth open, that if you love her, you do not care. If you do not lover her, if her pinkie toe is half an inch deviant, the relationship is doomed. - Icon
Forumosan avatar
bismarck
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

150 Recommends(s)
143 Recognized(s)

Postby Bu Lai En » 26 Apr 2012, 22:00

Taipei 21 (2004) Not a bad movie about a couple who have been together years and are considering breaking up. They go off on their own for a few days and we observe how they re-evaluate things amidst the backdrop of modern Taipei life.

The Naked Spur (1954) Fairly good Western with Jimmy Stewart as a bounty hunter bringing an outlaw in amidst squabbles over the reward money.

I saw the Devil (2010) Korean film by Kim Jee-woon who made the excellent films, A Bittersweet Life and A Tale of Two Sisters. This one isn't as good, and although I enjoyed it, I can see why some people didn't. It's basically a standard revenge flick with the main character hunting the killer of his wife (played mesmerisingly by the star of Oldboy). I didn't like the way it was going at first, but it seemed to change into something a bit more than that, actually questioning, even parodying (obliquely) the revenge premise. I liked it in the end, but not wholeheartedly.

The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie (1972) I've never been overly impressed by Bunuel, but this film was different. It's a very surreal satire of the bourgeoisie, as the name implies, with very entertaining and absurdly funny twists and digressions into dreams and farcical situations.
I have news. Good news from Notting Hill. The consignment of white gold for Mr Anderson has arrived.

http://theboolion.wordpress.com/ Image
Forumosan avatar
Bu Lai En

15 Recognized(s)

Postby trubadour » 28 Apr 2012, 15:23

Take Shelter (2011)

So lucky to watch this without any idea of what to expect. What I got was a vivid portrayal of a modern day Old Testament style prophet, with all the necessary psychological disturbance and social dissonance, interwoven in a way only film can. Scary and deep. Great stuff.
trubadour
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)

114 Recommends(s)
16 Recognized(s)

Re: Upcoming Movies (2012)

Postby Icon » 28 Apr 2012, 22:05

Really bad news, folks: Pirates of the Caribbean 5 in the works. Oh, and The Lone Ranger movie took a lot of cuttings/rewritings... and we know how that ends... Just for starters, it's a supernatural kind of movie, with werewolves and such. :loco: *sigh* They are really ruining my childhood. Hope they never touch Sargent Preston of the Yukon ever for a remake. :pray:

Gael Garcia Bernal is in talks to take part in the Robocop movie, not the lead. Oh, well, a crossover is a crossover.

Remake of Dredd, based more accurately on the comics. At least, it won't have Deuce Bigolow in it. Ah, and more Resident Evil. Pity, the game was cool.

Oh, and I am really psyched for Cabin in the Woods. Who's with me?

EDIT:
This sort of answers my lingering question: why, oh, why? http://www.cracked.com/article_19012_5- ... -suck.html
"Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante". Mafalda

"Nice guy? Who gives a shit? If you want to work here, close."
Forumosan avatar
Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

759 Recommends(s)
592 Recognized(s)

Re: Upcoming Movies (2012)

Postby cfimages » 28 Apr 2012, 22:35

Samsara is getting its cinema release this summer. I really, really hope this comes to Taiwan. It's the sequel to Baraka which is the greatest movie ever made, IMO.

Forumosan avatar
cfimages
Golden Lotus (huángjīn liánhuā)
Golden Lotus (huángjīn liánhuā)

230 Recommends(s)
218 Recognized(s)

Postby bismarck » 30 Apr 2012, 12:13

Saw The Avengers on Friday. If you liked The Hulk, Iron Man, Thor, Captain America movies you will like this one. The story line is a bit flimsy and I thought it was more of a tribute to all those Superheroes and their individual movies, but it has several good moments, lots of hero action and plenty of humour and one liners. I also thought Mark Ruffalo was awesome as the Hulk.

Highly recommend it if you're into Super Hero movies. :thumbsup:
World Champions 1995, 2007; Tri-Nations champions 1998, 2004, 2009; Grand Slam Champions 1912/13, 1931/32, 1951/52, 1960/61; Defeated British & Irish Lions 1903, 1924, 1938, 1962, 1968, 1980, 2009
Super 14 Champions 2007, 2009, 2010
Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy and the lash.
Sir Winston Churchill

Second of all, as in all honeymoons, all is well until it is not. It is until the unexpected happens that you will see all grievances surface -ask anyone in any relationship. The girl can chew with her mouth open, that if you love her, you do not care. If you do not lover her, if her pinkie toe is half an inch deviant, the relationship is doomed. - Icon
Forumosan avatar
bismarck
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

150 Recommends(s)
143 Recognized(s)

Postby Icon » 02 May 2012, 15:41

trubadour wrote:Take Shelter (2011)

So lucky to watch this without any idea of what to expect. What I got was a vivid portrayal of a modern day Old Testament style prophet, with all the necessary psychological disturbance and social dissonance, interwoven in a way only film can. Scary and deep. Great stuff.

Is this already on DVD at rental stores or was this alternative means? I'm interested in seeing it.
"Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante". Mafalda

"Nice guy? Who gives a shit? If you want to work here, close."
Forumosan avatar
Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

759 Recommends(s)
592 Recognized(s)

Postby trubadour » 02 May 2012, 22:30

downloaded

EDIT: decided that Piracy is not Wrong.
trubadour

114 Recommends(s)
16 Recognized(s)

Postby Rockefeller » 02 May 2012, 22:38

My recommendations:

127 Hours (2010) Stellar performance on James Franco's part.

Fargo (1996) "Ya, you betcha!"
Forumosan avatar
Rockefeller
Night Market Cop (yè shì tiáo zi)
Night Market Cop (yè shì tiáo zi)

86 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Arts & Entertainment