Sanctuary being torn down. We need your help!!! - click here for details
You can also visit TheSanctuaryTaiwan.org - click here to go to their contact page

Movies that you'd like to see remade/modernized, or books that you'd like to see made into film

This is the place for discussion of films, books, movies and TV shows, etc. A & E topics related to Taiwan or China should be posted in the Culture & History Forum.

Moderator: Rockefeller

Movies that you'd like to see remade/modernized, or books that you'd like to see made into film

Postby jjones217 » 12 Feb 2012, 00:20

I'm a pretty big movie fan and lately I've been getting bored with the mediocre offerings from Hollywood. I feel like there used to be so many blockbuster films or Oscar-worthy presentations, but few movies have really done it for me lately.

Anyway, I've been thinking lately about some movies that would do really well in the 2010s what with all the technology available and the big budgets to make it happen.

Here some I've been wishing for:

The Right Stuff (1983) - I'm a huge fan of nearly anything to do with space and for me, with the exception of Moon (2009) and Sunshine (2007), there really haven't been many space movies (sci-fi or not) that I've enjoyed since Apollo 13. This story of the formation and implementation of the original 7 "Mercury Seven" astronauts is entertaining and informative, but at nearly 30 years of age it could do for a remake.

Red Mars (book series) - Speaking of outer space, Kim Stanley Robinson's "Red Mars" series is one of the most detailed, complete works to date regarding space colonization, I'd love to see this put into a film series or pay cable TV series if possible. AMC owns the rights for a TV show, but as of today nothing has come of it.

Apocalypse Now (1979) - I know, I know, "you can't remake the classics", which is why I've left the "Godfather" series off my list. But seriously with the ability to create such a realistic and breathtaking war environment, as in Band of Brothers, why not update a classic using modern technology.

Serpico (1973) - Al Pacino is a legend, and it's hard to cast a shadow over one of his career-making films, but people (myself included) love crime movies and, with the right cast, Serpico would be a great remake.

Anyway, I could go on and on with a whole lot of movies, but let's see what all the Forumosans have to say about it.
Forumosan avatar
jjones217
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Re: Movies that you'd like to see remade/modernized, or books that you'd like to see made into film

Postby petrarch1603 » 12 Feb 2012, 01:35

James Clavell's Shogun made a great mini-series. Should/Could it be re-done? Possibly. However I think Tai-Pan, one of his other Asian novels would be great material for an HBO/Showtime Deadwood style mini-series. The characters are complex and rich with possibilities, the historical events provide a lot of intrigue and plot development, there is plenty of potential for wardrobe from that period and the dialogue is rich with subtleties and texture. CGI is getting to the point where they could reasonably recreate 19th century Hong Kong harbor. There is enough potential story-lines to take it for multiple seasons. If only...
"Do something every day that you don't want to do; this is the golden rule for acquiring the habit of doing your duty without pain." -Mark Twain
petrarch1603
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)

15 Recommends(s)
5 Recognized(s)

Re: Movies that you'd like to see remade/modernized, or books that you'd like to see made into film

Postby Dougster » 12 Feb 2012, 01:56

Call me old fashioned, but haven't movies and TV shows from the 70s and 80s already been remade and regurgiated to death. And a remake of Apocalypse Now?
A book I'd like to see made into film would be Child 44.
"A pair of quadruple whiskys and a pair of pints please" Withnail
Forumosan avatar
Dougster
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)

1 Recommends(s)
13 Recognized(s)

Postby Charlie Phillips » 12 Feb 2012, 02:03

jjones217 wrote:Apocalypse Now (1979) - I know, I know, "you can't remake the classics", which is why I've left the "Godfather" series off my list. But seriously with the ability to create such a realistic and breathtaking war environment, as in Band of Brothers, why not update a classic using modern technology.

I'd like the new version set in Afghanistan. I know it's not a jungle, but it's ancient and the difference is what would make it special. Rivers of sand.
"Why do you want gas? It's hot. You can have cold showers" ~gas delivery man height of summer, 2010.

"Why you wear so many clothes? You are foreigner. Foreign countries are cold." buxiban owner, depth of winter 2011.
Forumosan avatar
Charlie Phillips
Immune to Breathalizers (jiǔ cèce bù chūlái)
Immune to Breathalizers (jiǔ cèce bù chūlái)

81 Recommends(s)
161 Recognized(s)

Postby jjones217 » 12 Feb 2012, 20:46

I like the Afghanistan idea, though I think it would be better if based on Apocalypse Now instead of a remake, that way the traditionalists won't have a heart-attack.

And as far as this is concerned:

Dougster wrote:Call me old fashioned, but haven't movies and TV shows from the 70s and 80s already been remade and regurgiated to death.

The answer is yes. However, the problem with Hollywood today is that you have too many "up-and-comers" who think that if they just put a new twist on it or take some creative license that they can put it in a whole new light. THAT, plus bad acting, directing, and CGI can totally ruin a movie. For example, I hated the "Superman" movie that came out in 2006, but prefer the new Batman films to the old.

2001's awful "Planet of the Apes" with Mark Wahlberg in it was nothing compared to the Hesston Version, but 2011's "Rise of the Planet of the Apes" was a promising start to a modern series of "Apes" films that will draw new fans and old alike.p
Forumosan avatar
jjones217

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby jdsmith » 12 Feb 2012, 21:01

Books to movies:

A Wild Sheep Chase and Dance Dance Dance

Out

Coin Locker Babies

360 Degree Flip

*And not Americanized versions of the Japanese books, like Noako was. :raspberry:
Your warning level: [1]
Forumosan avatar
jdsmith
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

56 Recognized(s)

Postby Deuce Dropper » 12 Feb 2012, 21:07

You could do so much with 'War Games' now
Forumosan avatar
Deuce Dropper
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)

91 Recommends(s)
447 Recognized(s)

Postby Icon » 12 Feb 2012, 21:49

Deuce Dropper wrote:You could do so much with 'War Games' now

Yep, War Games 2 the Dead Code didn't quite cut it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WarGames:_The_Dead_Code

I had read somewhere that The Alchemist was being made into a movie. I would think Hollywood, if taking any Coehlo's, would do 11 minutes or the devil and ms. pymm.

What I would like to see done again is Space:1999
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0072564/

According to Wikipedia, they did tried, but not yet: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space:_1999
"Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante". Mafalda

"Nice guy? Who gives a shit? If you want to work here, close."
Forumosan avatar
Icon
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

652 Recommends(s)
515 Recognized(s)

Postby Chris » 12 Feb 2012, 21:57

They should make a remake of the remake of the remake of The Thing.
Forumosan avatar
Chris
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

85 Recommends(s)
182 Recognized(s)

Postby Icon » 12 Feb 2012, 22:09

Chris wrote:They should make a remake of the remake of the remake of The Thing.

yep, probably in the works already, if the remake sticks.

That reminds me.. There was this movie about a blob-like creature that propagated itself in an addictive yogurt like concoction, turning people into zombies and spreading terror, buahaha. That would be a good one.
"Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante". Mafalda

"Nice guy? Who gives a shit? If you want to work here, close."
Forumosan avatar
Icon
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

652 Recommends(s)
515 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to Arts & Entertainment