What are you watching? (Film edition)

This is the place for discussion of films, books, movies and TV shows, etc. A & E topics related to Taiwan or China should be posted in the Culture & History Forum.

Moderator: Rockefeller

Re: Moving Pictures: The 2012 Edition

Postby adguy » 02 May 2012, 23:11

I actually really enjoyed Chronicle http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/chronicle/ on a flight from Singapore. I thought I was just going to go on a mindless ride during the flight, but it ended up being an intense and satisfying film. I was also skeptical about the fact that it used the whole "we're using a camera to film our real lives and it's like, totally real" convention... but I went with it and was glad I did.

:popcorn:
Forumosan avatar
adguy
Grasshopper (cǎo měng)

13 Recognized(s)

Postby trubadour » 04 May 2012, 16:28

Rockefeller wrote:My recommendations:

127 Hours (2010) Stellar performance on James Franco's part.

great movie! Fargo, too, of course.
trubadour
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)

114 Recommends(s)
12 Recognized(s)

Postby Dougster » 05 May 2012, 02:34

"Shame" is worth watching. Steve Mcqueen directs, Michael Fassbender gets to shag around, uncomfortable viewing at times.
"A pair of quadruple whiskys and a pair of pints please" Withnail
Forumosan avatar
Dougster
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)

1 Recommends(s)
13 Recognized(s)

Postby bismarck » 05 May 2012, 08:41

Seediq Bale Part 1

Really enjoyed it, especially seeing as my son is 1/4 Bunun. Found myself getting drawn in to it, but as part 1 came to an end, I couldn't help thinking, "Oh shit! They're in for a hammering!!"
But it is nice, with hindsight of history, to be reminded that whatever happens (I haven't read about the Wushe incident), the Japanese are in for a huge comeuppance for their Imperial Arrogance in about 11 years from that point, and counting!! :America:

I hope to watch part 2 this week.

One of my favourite quotes so far: We're not killing, we're offering blood sacrifice to our ancestors!
:roflmao: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
World Champions 1995, 2007; Tri-Nations champions 1998, 2004, 2009; Grand Slam Champions 1912/13, 1931/32, 1951/52, 1960/61; Defeated British & Irish Lions 1903, 1924, 1938, 1962, 1968, 1980, 2009
Super 14 Champions 2007, 2009, 2010
Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy and the lash.
Sir Winston Churchill

Second of all, as in all honeymoons, all is well until it is not. It is until the unexpected happens that you will see all grievances surface -ask anyone in any relationship. The girl can chew with her mouth open, that if you love her, you do not care. If you do not lover her, if her pinkie toe is half an inch deviant, the relationship is doomed. - Icon
Forumosan avatar
bismarck
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

150 Recommends(s)
141 Recognized(s)

Postby trubadour » 06 May 2012, 23:43

Kid with a Bike (2011)

First few minutes in, I presumed I was watching a docu-drama i.e. a well-meaning film with human interest but without being actually humanly interesting. Luckily, I was wrong. A story - a real, properly dramatic and unpredictable story emerges manifestly out of the instance of each characters' actions. Refreshing characters, too - especially the heroine. They manage to be real without being clichés. The film, too, manages very nicely to be creative in an area of life where film-making so often becomes 'dealing with issues'. Thus contrary to the norm, Kid on a Bike is an original and realistic drama. Deceleration of interest: I happen to relate a lot to the main character. Maybe you will, too?
trubadour

114 Recommends(s)
12 Recognized(s)

Postby Bu Lai En » 07 May 2012, 22:35

Margot at the Wedding (2007) Noah Baumbach's dark comedies are certainly not everyone's cup of tea, but to me he's a genius. Once again, in Margot, he exposes the horrible human frailty of some not particularly pleasant individuals, in this case, focusing on two sisters getting together for a wedding, played brilliantly by Nicole Kidman and Jennifer Jason Leigh. Jack Black is also very good in an atypical role.

The Bitter Tea of General Yen (1933) This film about a missionary in China, kept by a Warlord, is interesting for the fuss it created due to the rising hatred against miscegenation, but unfortunately the movie itself is pretty dull.

Migratory Bird (2001) Very good film about a Taiwanese family living in Canada.

The Right Stuff (1983) One of a large number of 80s blockbusters I never got round to seeing, but this was one of the rare cases where it was worth it. A little too 80s for my tastes here and there, but overall it's a great story of the test pilots who became America's first astronauts.

The Seventh Victim (1943) Excellent atmospheric mystery about a boarding school girl who goes to the city to find her missing sister. Some great unexpected plot directions.
I have news. Good news from Notting Hill. The consignment of white gold for Mr Anderson has arrived.

http://theboolion.wordpress.com/ Image
Forumosan avatar
Bu Lai En
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)

13 Recognized(s)

Postby Rockefeller » 09 May 2012, 06:10

Just heard The Avengers grossed less than 700 million in less than two weeks... shits crazy. I gotta get my ass to the movies and see what the huge deal is. :popcorn:
Forumosan avatar
Rockefeller

52 Recognized(s)

Moving Pictures: The 2012 Edition

Postby headhonchoII » 09 May 2012, 06:55

God the last time I thought something like this was a good idea I was 12.
I can remember the fourth of July runnin' through the backwood bare.
And I can still hear my old hound dog barkin' chasin' down a hoodoo there
Chasin' down a hoodoo there.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1314 Recommends(s)
504 Recognized(s)

Postby urodacus » 09 May 2012, 07:14

Just watched Kurosawa's RAN again. Man, it's slow and stately, like a supertanker running aground at speed. I had not remembered how slow it was. But the sets and locations are stunning, and the Bard (almost) never looked so good.

I love Shakespeare adaptations.
The prizes are a bottle of f*!@#$% SCOTCH and a box of cheap f!@#$#$ CIGARS!
Forumosan avatar
urodacus
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

169 Recommends(s)
216 Recognized(s)

Postby Bu Lai En » 20 May 2012, 22:29

urodacus wrote:Just watched Kurosawa's RAN again. Man, it's slow and stately, like a supertanker running aground at speed. I had not remembered how slow it was. But the sets and locations are stunning, and the Bard (almost) never looked so good.

I love Shakespeare adaptations.

Ran is one of the greatest movies ever.

Whispering Corridors (1998) OK Korean horror set in a girls' school.

Scenes by the Sea(2000) Fairly uninteresting documentary about the great Japanese director Takeshi Kitano.

The World of Apu (1959) Great end to the Apu trilogy. Where I'd found the second movie not as good as the first, this was a great return to form.

Come, See, Become (2005) In the mid 80s Israel airlifted a bunch of Sudanese Jews to resettle there. This is the story of one Sudanese pretending to be Jewish and growing up in the strange country, embracing it, but feeling isolated by his lie. Excellent film.

Hanging Garden (2005) Strange but very good Japanese film about a family who appear normal but are far from happy.
I have news. Good news from Notting Hill. The consignment of white gold for Mr Anderson has arrived.

http://theboolion.wordpress.com/ Image
Forumosan avatar
Bu Lai En

13 Recognized(s)

PreviousNext

x

Return to Arts & Entertainment