Sanctuary being torn down. We need your help!!! - click here for details
You can also visit TheSanctuaryTaiwan.org - click here to go to their contact page

Archy and Mehitabel no Public Domain copies?

This is the place for discussion of films, books, movies and TV shows, etc. A & E topics related to Taiwan or China should be posted in the Culture & History Forum.

Moderator: Rockefeller

Archy and Mehitabel no Public Domain copies?

Postby Taiwan_Student » 03 Jul 2012, 02:22

I've heard a few great poems buy Don Marquis from a collection called Archy and Mehitabel. These were read by a great story teller called Jean Shepard by the way. I'm surprised that I can find no ready to download collections. They were first in print in 1916 and as far as I know are selling strong. The cheapest e-book I have found is for the Kindle at 14.99. I can legally get the whole OZ collection for free that sold much more than Don Marquis. What gives... great copyright protection... Loyal fans...

By the way... if you like Jean Shepard, the radio humorist, I have his complete works from 1955 to all the tribute shows to him after he passed away as part of the Jean Shepard project. PM me...
Taiwan_Student
I'm posting like Shakespeare (1564~1616)
I'm posting like Shakespeare (1564~1616)

ORIGINAL POSTER
24 Recommends(s)
11 Recognized(s)

Re: Archy and Mehitabel no Public Domain copies?

Postby Charlie Jack » 14 Jul 2012, 01:43

I couldn't find a public domain book, but this archived site has a few archy and mehitabel poems:
http://web.archive.org/web/200501010916 ... com/archy/

Also, on YouTube there appears to be a 1971 animated version of the musical Shinbone Alley, which is supposed to be based on archy and mehitabel:

Here are excerpts from an Australian production:

There may be a few other items on YouTube, e. g.:

When things go well for days on end, it is an hilarious accident.
--Kurt Vonnegut, letter to his daughter Nannette
Charlie Jack
Overpaid Foreign Athlete (duō fù xīn shuǐ guò gāo de wài jí yùn dòng yuán)
Overpaid Foreign Athlete (duō fù xīn shuǐ guò gāo de wài jí yùn dòng yuán)

1142 Recommends(s)
198 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Proceed to Arts & Entertainment